S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 S10 Tahoe 4.3L that needs new valve stem seals. I was wondering if any kind souls could give a poor feller some advice on what tools I might need as well as what I might need to purchase along with the seals. It was my Grandfather's truck and I kinda would like to not screw this up. Any advice would be appreciated. A comprehensive guide would be disgustingly helpful.

·
Been there Done it
6,339 Posts
All you really need besides the seals and valve cover gaskets is the spring compressing tool.
https://www.amazon.com/Proform-66784-Valve-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000630J84#Ask
And an air adapter so you can pressurize the cylinder you are working on. Or stuff rope in through the spark plug hole to hold the valve up.

Read the q&a at the bottom of the page for numerous tips from guys who just did it.
Be sure each piston is all the way up before doing that cylinder so the valve can't drop into the cylinder.
There are a bunch of You tubes on how to. Same as any 1st gen SBC V8. Just a bit more crowded under the hood of an s10.

Before you take the leap, care to enlighten us with why you feel it needs seals? 4.3's and 283 thru 400's have puffed a small amount of blue smoke on cold starts forever. Always will.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,426 Posts
What are your symptoms? Smoke on startup?, fouled plugs? oil consumption?
4.3 and small block from that era had umbrella seals on the intake valves, but only o rings on the exhaust.
I had a Monte Carlo with a 5.0 that was smoking on startup. I installed umbrella seals on the exhaust, which fixed the smoke, but down the line, it ate a valve guide, I had to replace a cylinder head.
I bought a high mileage 1992 with a 4.3. Smoked a little on startup at times, but didn't use oil. I left it alone.
Ran that truck to 357,000. Never added oil between changes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with Hoosier Rick here. My 91 puffs blue smoke on startup whenever it hasn't run hot for a while. It never actually burns enough to cause any noticable change in the oil level. It's at ~225k now and still runs just fine. I've thought about replacing valve seals before, but it hasn't bothered me enough to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely oil consumption. It is noticeably burning oil. Ive been carrying a quart with me to top it off. But I am concerned that I could take everything apart just to find out that the seals are fine. That would be a bad day.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,426 Posts
First, check the pcv system. A plugged port in the tbi or collapsed hose can cause oil consumption. Next, with the engine running, remove the oil cap, and check for vacuum. Failed intake gaskets can suck oil into the cylinders. Of course, check for external leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No vacuum under oil cap just checked that a few minutes ago just to rule it out. Is there a way to troubleshoot the pcv valve or should I just buy one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Rhotpursuit
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing