S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
mini' less.... :(
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering where the best place to put valves would be at?.....ive seen em mounted to the tank...could i put the front ones in the engine compartment to keep em warm?.....would the speed be faster closer to the bag?

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
The closer they are to the bag the faster they are and the less air it takes to fill the bag. If you have a 15ft line and 14 feet are on the tank side of the valve that air line is acting like extra tank space and only one foot of that line is acting as bag space. the other way around and the bag space is more meaning each time you inflate the bag it uses a little more air and therefore decreases your air supply quicker. The + to haveing them close to the tank is that a busted air line doesnt mean the tank looses pressure, just one bag.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Well the best place (obvious opinion) would be on the tank, because its cleaner, easier and may solve some problems in the long run (i.e. easier to find leaks or shorts, everything can be run in one bundle, like the wires) speed isnt that noticeable, and if you run a good water trap it doesnt matter how cold they get, becasue it gets just as cold under the hood when its sitting.

So unless your very knowledgeable about what youy plan on doing in the future (bigger wheels, body drop) I wouldnt put them anywhere that they will get moved alot, lol I moved mine 3 times before I put them on the tank, and I'm happiest with the tank.

How do you like wyotech? I wanna go there so bad....

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
another plus of having them on the tank is that it doesnt take your comp as long to fill the tank rather then over working your compressor with more volume than capable.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
LoW_1 said:
another plus of having them on the tank is that it doesnt take your comp as long to fill the tank rather then over working your compressor with more volume than capable.
lol, guess you can look at it both ways. I look at it as more tank capacity therefore more playtime.

·
mini' less.... :(
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wyotech is alright....the school is good but the town sucks a$$, and if ya get to go to school here, get an apartment, dont stay in their dorms. ill probably end up with SMC 3/8 dumps and 1/2 ups with 5/8s line, valves on tank, what would it take to make it hop a few inches in front, 2.2 s10 std cab, 1/2 inch port 2b6 or 2b7, what would be better for the front?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Just because I feel like throwing out numbers... let me show you how much difference it does not make for the compressor to put the valves at the tank, rather than at the bags.

The ID of 1/2" line is roughly 3/8", that means the radius is 3/16".

Square that and you get 9/256 or 0.03515625.

Multiply that by pi (3.14), and you get 0.11044662 (rounded because of length of number). This is the cross-sectional area of 1/2" line in square inches.

Now lets say from the tank to the front of the truck, in airline length, is about 12 ft. Fair?? Multiply that time 2, because you have to run two lines to the front of the truck. So you have 24 ft.

From the tank to the rear valves would be what?? 4 ft?? max?? Again, multiply by 2, for a total of 8.

8 ft + 24 ft is 32 ft.

The length times the area will give us the volume. 32 x 0.11044662 equates to about 3.535 cubic inches, which is only .2 % (point 2) of a cubic foot of air.

Now lets throw in a 5 gallon tank, which as a volume of 1150 cubic inches. 3.535 more cubic inches is not going to be a noticeable fill time difference.

:thumbup:

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Matthew, if you wanna be so techincal with the 239842342 decimal places, then why use just 3.14 for Pi?

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Well, you shouldnt consider volume when decideing valve placement, you should consider where you want your leaks, lol. If you are going to have a leak in a line do you want the bag to leak and you can still controll the other three or would you rather all 4 stay up but have no controll. You also need to consider ease of everything when doing valve placement, what is easier for you? I dont think the engine heat would make a difference at all

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Well think about it this way, if your valves are mounted up front and you have that 12' of line going under the truck which is very likely to bust at one point due to road debris, bad location or anything else that happens to our trucks, and if your line which is directly connected to the tank bursts you loose pressure to the tank and bags because most valves have to have back pressure.

So I guess the volume change was in my head lol, I guess this is just in my head as well but with more line on the bag side of the valve its not as stiff.

Plus another good thing is that you can run your air line through the frame and not have manifolds close to melt the line... Plus with a 2001 where are you going to mount the valves in the engine bay?? dont you have to move enough crap just to lay? You can hop more then an inch with 3/8" valves, I'm trying to find a decent set of 1/4" dumps because my 3/8's are too fast.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I found a perfect place on my truck for the front valves... right on the tranny x-member. Plenty of clearance all around, just need to get some header wrap for the pass side cuz its by the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
i have had my valves in my engine bay for over a year. it does warm up the valves if they freeze. it has been real cold lately and i run c02 and my valves are in the engine bay. i will lift the truck, and if i try to dump it right then and there it wont dump just slowly leak down when the switch is open.... a couple minutes later im a switch hittin bastard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts