S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to track down the cause of my front axle not engaging and it appears that the vacuum switch on the transfer case is not working. I am new to S-10 4wd's and so I have a couple of questions before I start buying parts. First, does the switch just screw into the housing? Will anything drop out of it or cause problems if I R&R it? Next, what actuates the switch in the transfer case? Could a misadjustment or other internal transfer case malfunction cause the switch not to work? And finally, the indicator lights by the transfer stick don't accuratly reflect what the actual gear selection is. Could this be caused by the switch on the front axle being inoperative due to lack of movement of the engagement cable?
87 Durango 2.8 auto
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Ok most common problems with the front not locking in is dryrotted vacume lines. check them first! the switch just screws out and screws back in no stuff will drop out. inside the t-case there is a lever(i dont remember for sure) that pushes up on the ball on the switch to activate it. It could be the problem but highly unlikely.

the mode indicator is controled by a simple slide switch on the 4x4 shifter itself and usualy stop working with age cuz they get all rusted up. the front axel on the diagram will lightup when the front axel is engaged by vacume/engagement cable that is the only truly reliable indicator on the panel.

any other questions or need a bit more clarification just ask.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts