S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I want to run a vacume advance distributor on my motor. I haven't had to much experience with carbs(i'm used to fuel injection) and was just wondering if the vacume advance is going to make a huge difference. What are the pros and cons? Thanks guys.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
vacuum

advance as opposed to what?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be instead of running a distributor without vacume advance on it. The vacume atatches to the carb. I'm not exactly sure what it does....that's what I'm trying to find out. And what advantages it has over having a distributor without vacume advance.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
unless

your running a race only vehicle, its gonna be better to run a vacuum advance. As rpm increases, it advances the amount of time the distributor sends spark before the piston reaches TDC. Vacuum advance is your friend.:D :bah:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussing vac. advance distributors, I have a 94 4.3 that I converted to carb with edelbrock intake and carb. I'm using the engine in a diff. application than an s-10, so i have no chevy computer or anything..

I bought a vac. adv. HEI distributor for an 86 chevy pickup 4.3 4bbl to use with my new setup, but it wont spark, no spark-

Do i need to change a module on the distrib. to have it work with my setup? I have no comp. or anything, just the 4.3 carbed engine and my previous vehicles stock ignition...please advise

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
The vacuum advance is only supposed to add timing at part throttle, it should make no difference at WOT or idle (unless hooked straight to manifold vacuum). It is mainly for fuel economy - on a SBC you typically would want to have 36* total mechanical advance (in by 3000 rpm) with a vac. can that adds about another 10*, and be sure it is hooked to the ported source on the carb. Most stock vac. adv. cans will add more than 10* of timing, mine adds 17*, so I leave it unhooked.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Smileydaze said:
I bought a vac. adv. HEI distributor for an 86 chevy pickup 4.3 4bbl to use with my new setup, but it wont spark, no spark-
Did the 86 chevy PU have ESC (brainbox)? I don't think it would work w/o the computer-I remeber seeing how to make one work on this site but it was for an 8 cyl disrtibutor. The same trick may work on yours but you'll have to find the original posts.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Smileydaze said:
Discussing vac. advance distributors, I have a 94 4.3 that I converted to carb with edelbrock intake and carb. I'm using the engine in a diff. application than an s-10, so i have no chevy computer or anything..

Do i need to change a module on the distrib. to have it work with my setup? I have no comp. or anything, just the 4.3 carbed engine and my previous vehicles stock ignition...please advise
Wouldnt the 86 motor be a odd fire engine? I dont know when they started using even fire 4.3s but I do know you cant use a odd fire dist in a engine with a even fire crank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts