S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I was at work last night and a guy offered me a sweet deal on a 305. this engine was just rebuilt, he will also give me a turbo 350 tranny, a rear end with 4:10 gears, and traction bars. this stuff is all new. he is asking $2500 for the whole package. what kind of power can i expect out of the 305??

·
Registered
745 Posts
parts info

The 305 will give you moderate power,it is a v-8,it will make for good daily trans.,make sure the tranny has the long tailshaft on it or you will have to get a driveshaft made for your change over.What is the rear end out of? a 4:10 gear will have you really revin at road speeds with the 350 trans,also give you bad gas mileage!in my opinion too much gear for the street.and last but not least who done the motor work,is he reliable? all in all it's not really a bad deal for a new engine if its complete with starter ,carb,and everything,the little missing things will get expensive in a hurry,dont want to discourage you,but would hate to here you spent good money on something you cant use! Good Luck

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the info. it's missing the carb, and the distributor. besides that it's complete. how hard would it be to do the swap from a 4.3 to the 305? i have a 96 s-10 ext. cab. I did some research on the guy who built it, he is pretty reliable.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think that's a little expensive. If it's a roller cam 305, it would be pretty good, but you don't need the rear end, especially if the motor is basically stock. What year is your truck and what does it have right now? You might be better off buying a crate motor and using your exsisting drive train. If you have a 4.3, you can use all the accesories off that motor with any small block, so you don't need all the other crap with the 305.

It doesn't make sense to swap in a 305 with the 350 trans and 4.10 gears. A moderately weak motor with a beafy trans and racy gears? It would make sense to just swap in a 305

·
Registered
120 Posts
im with you POS-10 thats a little high i think,you wouldnt want a 4.10 gear with a stock 305,trust me I have a turbo 350 tranny and 3.73 gears with tall street tires (275/60/15) and it turns 3000 at 67 mph.I did build my 355 for under a grand and got a tranny built by one of the better builders in our area for 450,he even garantees his work even in racing conditions,trust me its been well tested.I have broke the bellhousing bolts off and flipped the tranny upside down in the truck(wish i woulda took a pic,move the shifter over and you could see the tranny pan in the floor) and didnt hurt anything internal.You can just put the 305 and tranny in but i wouldnt run the gears

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. i think i'm just gonna wait and go ahead and get 350, that's what I want anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts