S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Hayden i have a 1982 GMC S15 that iv'e put a 350 V8 with a NV3500 5 speed trans out of a 1995 S10 Pickup. I also transferred the Fluid clutch and Slave Cylinder from the 1995 to my 82 to go along with the Trans but after bolting everything up it's very stiff and the pedal can barely be pushed can anyone help me?
Thnaks

·
the new guy
722 Posts
make sure the rod is not at an angle. my son's 92 had trouble and I pushed it harder then normal and it turned out the rod was bent on the pedal to the master cylinder

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what were thinking since we had to drill a hole in the firewall for the master cylinder it may be off a little.

·
the new guy
722 Posts
it did ours. it was really hard. it ended up bending the rod a bit so once we got stuff straight, we had to straighten the rod. once we got that straight, now the clutch is smooth as glass and (to me) very easy. but my son loves the truck and says its perfect and since we put the truck together for him, its good

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check to make sure the rod on the slave cylinder is on the clutch release arm. If not it will bottom out and not move..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its up on there and i can feel the clutch engage and disengage but it's just very stiff.

·
Been there Done it
7,107 Posts
Could be a pedal/rod position issue. Was it originally a stick or did you convert an automatic. If so, did you replace the whole pedal assembly with one from the same year S10. The 82's were mechanical clutch linkage and the hole for the rod might be farther down the pedal than later models with hydraulic clutches. That would make the leverage all wrong.
If you can find like an 85 or so pedal look to see if the hole's in the same or a different place. Or look at a 95 era pedal and see how far down that hole is. I'm thinking 1/4" closer to the pivot point could make all the difference in the effort required.
You may need to switch to an 1st gen S10 master since yours is 2nd gen. Although the difference is only 1/32" in bore diameter, which shouldn't make that much difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be a pedal/rod position issue. Was it originally a stick or did you convert an automatic. If so, did you replace the whole pedal assembly with one from the same year S10. The 82's were mechanical clutch linkage and the hole for the rod might be farther down the pedal than later models with hydraulic clutches. That would make the leverage all wrong.
If you can find like an 85 or so pedal look to see if the hole's in the same or a different place. Or look at a 95 era pedal and see how far down that hole is. I'm thinking 1/4" closer to the pivot point could make all the difference in the effort required.
You may need to switch to an 1st gen S10 master since yours is 2nd gen. Although the difference is only 1/32" in bore diameter, which shouldn't make that much difference.
My truck was originally a 5 speed i took the whole clutch system out of a 95 S10 and put it in mine.

·
Been there Done it
7,107 Posts
Then it is possible the hole is lower on the pedal because the original linkage was mechanical in 82 and may have required longer travel than the hydraulic. The farther it is down the pedal the harder it'll be to push, right? Does it start to engage at what feels like the correct spot? Or a little higher? Does the pedal go to the floor when fully disengaged?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then it is possible the hole is lower on the pedal because the original linkage was mechanical in 82 and may have required longer travel than the hydraulic. The farther it is down the pedal the harder it'll be to push, right? Does it start to engage at what feels like the correct spot? Or a little higher? Does the pedal go to the floor when fully disengaged?
We drilled a new hole and thought we lined it up but the clutch engages and disengages good but the pedal is super stiff.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Angle probably won't affect effort as much as you think. It's all in the pedal ratio.

Sounds like you might have drilled the hole in the wrong place for easy effort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Angle probably won't affect effort as much as you think. It's all in the pedal ratio.

Sounds like you might have drilled the hole in the wrong place for easy effort.
Do i need to re-drill my hole?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
No idea. I don't know where you have it currently and don't know where it's supposed to go, but I do know that if you move it upward it will get easier because you'll have more leverage. It will lengthen the stroke, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No idea. I don't know where you have it currently and don't know where it's supposed to go, but I do know that if you move it upward it will get easier because you'll have more leverage. It will lengthen the stroke, though.
What if i tilt my Reservoir up a little bit.

·
Been there Done it
7,107 Posts
Tilting the reservoir won't change the leverage applied by the pedal.
Simple physics, the farther from the pivot point the farther it travels and the harder to depress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tilting the reservoir won't change the leverage applied by the pedal.
Simple physics, the farther from the pivot point the farther it travels and the harder to depress.
It will make the pedal rod push straighter than what it is now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts