S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have currently got a 2.5l 5-speed
I want to keep it 5-Speed
So what I want to know is can I use my stock tranny?
If so what mods do I have to do?
And I will Have to use a 4.3 bellhousing right?

·
frequent flyer
43 Posts
your stock tranny won't take the abuse of a V8.The easiest thing to do is buy the engine and tranny together that way you know it will work.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
your tranny

wont even bolt up to a V8. you have a 60 degree V6. A V8 is at 90 degree bolt pattern.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
Re: your tranny

loweredd said:
wont even bolt up to a V8. you have a 60 degree V6. A V8 is at 90 degree bolt pattern.
you better get yourself a auto tranny...like a th350 or 700r4...

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
go with

a 700R4 all the way. That will make your swap nicer, and its a bolt in!!:thumbup:

·
LT1 S10 Expert
494 Posts
First off, a 2.5 isn't a 60 Degree V6. ??? It is a 2.5 4 BANGER!!!

And no, it won't work with a V8, well, not unless it is an underpowered 305. You would need to buy a new conversion bellhousing, which you could find on an old F-Body.

But like everyone else said, just get the tranny with an engine, a combo. Your best bet is to find an old TPI from an F-Body, one that has a 350/T5 Combo. Yes, hard to find, but, definitely worth the trouble. There are plenty of guys around that know a lot about this motor setup. Check out CamaroZ28.com, 3rd Gen section.

Adam

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
yeah,

my bad, I saw 2. and went on from there.:(

·
Registered
62 Posts
HectorM52 said:
First off, a 2.5 isn't a 60 Degree V6. ??? It is a 2.5 4 BANGER!!!

And no, it won't work with a V8, well, not unless it is an underpowered 305. You would need to buy a new conversion bellhousing, which you could find on an old F-Body.

But like everyone else said, just get the tranny with an engine, a combo. Your best bet is to find an old TPI from an F-Body, one that has a 350/T5 Combo. Yes, hard to find, but, definitely worth the trouble. There are plenty of guys around that know a lot about this motor setup. Check out CamaroZ28.com, 3rd Gen section.

Adam

Listen to this man....I do!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

I live and die with Z28.com. That place is a virtual fountain of knowledge, especially in the LT1 section....:evilg:

·
Registered
66 Posts
you also might try the five speed from a truck, you gotta modify the crossmember, but I'd rather do that than cut a hole in the floor for the f-body shifter. Or find a new venture five speed out of a s-truck with a 4-speed, its exactly the same as the v8 one and you don't have to cut sh%$

·
Registered
1 Posts
Decision is simple, T56. They are a sweet tranny. I have a 12 sec Camaro that gets 26mpg on the highway w/ 4.10's! With the 2 OD gears you can have gears like that and still have low rpm's on the highway. I know they can be pricy, but I know they are worth it and are very strong. The T56 comes in the Camaro, Corvette, Viper(exactly the same), and I think even the '03 S/C Mustang. Here are my gear ratios-
1st 2.66
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.30
4th 1.00
5th 0.74
6th 0.50 :thumbup:

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts