S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently purchased a 2001 s10 pick up it’s had a lot of modifications done to it to make it a very formidable off roading truck. Now it’s got just under 310k miles and I know that the clock is ticking on that 4.3 vortec so now the question is when the engine goes do I put a 350 or a 305 in her. Which would be best to keep the trend of an off roading truck and what is the best way to go about that for either engine ( This is my first vehicle and this would be my first engine swap so any and all tips and information would be super helpful )

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why not replace it with another 4.3 if your happy with it. A 350 has much more potential over a 305.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The later Vortec 350s are one of the simplest swaps that can be done. Engine computer and wiring are super similar and everything else "bolts right up"

@oldeerslayer has done it once or twice with good success.

·
Been there Done it
7,825 Posts
There's a sticky in the V8 section of the forum on how to do it. If your truck is 4wd it's a bit more difficult. Mostly different mounts, oil pan, and headers. Still the same swap other wise. I'd consider a 305 a waste of your money as it isn't much bigger than what you have, but if that's what you want I have 96 Vortec 305 you can have. One of my dumber moments, not looking at the back of the block when I bought it. It clearly says 5.0. Had it sitting in the shop a couple years when I noticed it.
Plan is to take it and a 4.3 to the JY next week and dump them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts