S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have probably a little strange question but I would like to put a mildly built 350 in my truck. I am sure some of you guys have similar engines in your s-10s and I was curious what kind of gas mileage do you get?

Also I have 3.73 gears in my truck already.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you keep your foot out of the carpet you should be able to get decent gas mileage depending if you have a carbed engine or fuel injected. My 85 with about a 300 horse 327 averaged 12 mpg max. But it was just a toy so it didnt really matter what we averaged.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Milage

I have a little over 400 hp and run a 700r4 with 3.42 rear . the average cruising speed here is 100mph ,I get 14mph average.

·
2SMOOTH
204 Posts
I have an '86 ext. cab with a healthy built 350, backed by a 700R4 and 3.73 rear end. I average about 16-20mpg on the highway at 65-70mph, taching about 2300rpm. If you're looking for something with good bottom end and reasonable fuel economy, this is the way to go. I used to run the same setup with a Turbo350 trans, but she topped out at 6500rpm at around 75-80mph. :)

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
96blazer said:
My yellow one below gets around 9 mpg driving around town.

But on long freeway trips, it gets like 15.
Unless you have a 454, and even then, that mileage is really bad. My friend's 305 fullsize gmc gets 18MPG city. You have a sensor out, I'd bet .50c on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
wolfmangk said:
Unless you have a 454, and even then, that mileage is really bad. My friend's 305 fullsize gmc gets 18MPG city. You have a sensor out, I'd bet .50c on it.
I would have to agree with wolf.

90% chance it's a o2 sensor :)

------------------------------------------------------
sham,

22 city, 26 highway? That's better than an old 4 cyl blazer, hehe.

Robert

·
Registered
61 Posts
I get about 12mpg with 3.73 gears. I do race anyting that moves. I am still in the tuning stages, though. I run my carb a bit rich for the nitrous. I have a 600CFM Edelbrock performer with matching manifold and stock Ex manifolds with 2 1/4 true duals and a balance pipe. I run 98 primaries and 101 secondaries (if that matters) with a pretty wild nitrous cam. If I change the jets on the secondaries, then the mileage goes up to 14, but I loose power. I also run 19* intial timing and have a 3 speed.
SO if you run a carb with just lean enough jetting, but not too lean, or of course fuel injection, which knows what to do, and no more than 10* initial timing, and OD tranny then you should be able to approach 20mpg in town depending on the temperature outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts