S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
Let me start out by telling you what my truck is and what i do with it and what I am after. I have a 1990 s-10 with a 4.3 TBI V6 and 5 speed manual. The engine is getting tired...has 156,000 miles on it so I am starting to think about a v8. I am a college student though so would like to go as reasonable as possible...and I commute - 80 miles a day so gas mileage is also a little important. It is a daily driver and needs to be very dependable.

I am thinking a V8 because why not I guess...I would like my truck to be faster and if I have to replace the engine why not go for the extra performance. My truck is getting lowered shortly (in the next month) 4 in the front (coils and spindles) 5 in the back (leafs and blocks). if this matters. Will my 2" drop coil support the extra weight of the v8? All lowering parts are belltech.

What engine should I go with? I would love to do a lt1/4 but I think they are expensive and a hard swap to do. Any ball park ideas on price? What year and model lt1 is the best for a 1990 s-10? I know a couple places make wiring haresses for the lt1 to a s-10 with this harness, how hard is the swap?

Would a 350 be a better choice? Is carborated alright for a daily driver and gas mileage or would a TBI 350 be better?

As for costs, if i decided to go with a typical small block 350 would I be better to go with a brand new crate engine or getting an old 350 and rebuilding it all? What is cheaper or a better choice?

Will my 5 speed tanny bolt up to a v8? I am unsure yet if I did the swap my might switch it to a automatic because being a daily driver plus I am unsure how good I am at shifting if I were to ever race it. What automatic tranny should I go with for each engine (typical 350 and a lt1)?

What gas mileage (round numbers) could I expect with a lt1? With a TBI 350? With a carbed 350?

I am open to all ideas, I am planning on keeping this truck for a very long time to come and want it done right and something I will be happy with.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would consider a roller cam tbi 305. IMHO a 350 is too much for the truck anyway. The 305 tbi will provide really good mileage, especially with the 5 speed. You should be able to use the same wiring harness by just extending a few of the wires and using a different computer.

Another reason to consider the 305 is the strength of your transmission. People will say the the 5spd will never live behind the V8, but it really depends upon how you drive and what you use the truck for. As long as you don't do hard launches or power shifts, the 5spd will be fine, even behind a 350. Since you're concerned with mileage, you will want to keep the 5spd or find one out of a V8 camaro.

A tpi 305 is also a great engine for the truck. A little more work to swap in, but it will give you way more performance than a tbi setup.

I'm only mentioning the 305s because you said mileage was important. The roller cammed 305 will give you more power and good mileage. You should be able to use your 5spd, it will bolt up. Your suspension should be fine, even with the extra weight of the V8.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.