S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting my first S10 project (1983, 2.8, RWD - NO PUTER). After a couple of weeks now, I have not seen any posts in regards to bolting the original 700R4 transmission to a V8? Around my area, most of our street machines have the 700R4s. Is there a mounting problem, ect? Please explain....

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
yea the problem is the 700r4 from your 2.8 will not bolt up to a small block because its got the wrong pattern, if you get one from a 4.3 however it will bolt right on. i hope you plan to have it rebuilt too cuz a stock 700 wont handle a v8 for long if you like to get nuts with it.

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
All you need is a different bell housing and you'll be able to bolt it up to your a v8.

I don't think they used heavy duty 700r4s in anything but the fullsize trucks. I had a both an 86 and a 91 firebird with a 305 and a 700r4 and they're only made to handle about 275 hp or so, I can't remember how much torque but I think it's around 300 or 350 ft-lbs. So you shouldn't have to rebuild any 700r4 unless you plan on putting out more power than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you talk about another bellhousing, is it that easy? I have not yet looked at the bolt configuration on a 700R4, however I do have two R4's, one is from an 89 Astro 4.3, and the one that is behind my current 2.8. If I only need to swap the bellhousing, then I'm not going to worry about removing the Astro tranny. Also, do I need a different converter for the V8? -Thanks again

·
Registered
507 Posts
The 4.3 transmission would bolt up and the converter would work.
Most 700's from '90 and up used all the same internals no matter what engine they were behind, the only differences may be shift calibration points. 700's older than '90 used less clutches in the v-6 models.
I took a '91 2.8 700 and put all of it's internals into a v-8 case, the truck ran high 12's on slicks with it, it was stock with only a few mods to the valvebody seperator plate.

·
Banned
500 Posts
A 700r4 is very common and very cheap to build up to handle higher horsepower, a guy in my area builds them to handle 400 to 500 hp for $300, and 4l60e's for $700.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar question, which is: Is the 700r4 from this 1990 350 that i have going to give me any trouble on the swap into my 4.3 s-10? I heard the same thing about the 350 or 4.3 700r4's nt bolting to 2.8's, but mixed feedback on the compatibility of 350 and 4.3 700r4's. Thanks, and if i don't hear back from you guys on this post, i wi start another i suppose. I'm new here so i don't know how well of feedback is given this late on in a post....

15,113 Posts
its very simple, 700R4's made for 2.8L V6's will ONLY fit 2.8L and other 60 degree V6 blocks.

you cant "just change the bellhousing" cause automatics dont have bellhousing you can just swap out like a manual, the only way to change it would be to buy a whole new case (stupid) for a weak ass 2.8L 700R4, or do it RIGHT and just buy a 700R4 for a 4.3L V6 or ANY V8's, they are all the same 90 degree block bolt pattern.

I dont care if its a camaro, firebird, s-10 or full size 2WD, it will bolt up. The only thing you CANT use is a 700R4 from a 4x4 in a 2WD cause the tailshaft is different.

What I would suggest is, go buy a GOOD core for like $150-$200 or see if someone is selling one on here, take it to a tranny builder, put some money in it and have a decent trans.

I mild build with a shift kit should cost about $800-$1100 with labor. A stronger build will run anywhere from $1500 - $2500.

also, dont forget about the torque converter. a properly stalled TC is critical for best performance. Stay away from 12" converters over 2900 stall speeds and remember that the smaller the converter the more heat is generated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking at using an engine putting out around 270 hp and 330 ft-lbs. Those are about the upper limits of what xtreme03 says a 700r4 can handle. Do you think getting a "built" trans would be playing it safe or overkill. I'm leaning toward spending the extra cash and doing it right the first time. Just looking for experienced opinions.

·
It's not rocket science!
143 Posts
If it's a daily driver then use the 700r4 from the astro and call it good. If you plan on racing it, then thats a different story. Either way run a good tranny cooler and you should be ok. I've seen stock 700r4s behind 400 hp engines run all day long. I've also seen a poorly rebuilt 700 grenade behind a 150 hp TBI 350.

ps redbox all the 700r-4s after pretty much 1989 are the same weather v-6 or v-8.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's gonna be a daily driver that I can have some fun with. A few good launches from stop lights, but nothing to crazy. What makes the astro trans stronger than one from a fullsize pickup?

·
It's not rocket science!
143 Posts
It's gonna be a daily driver that I can have some fun with. A few good launches from stop lights, but nothing to crazy. What makes the astro trans stronger than one from a fullsize pickup?
It's not stronger, its the same tranny. Like I said, just take everything out of the astro and transfer it to the s-10. It would be a frankenstein, but it would work.

·
It's not rocket science!
143 Posts
It's not stronger, its the same tranny. Like I said, just take everything out of the astro and transfer it to the s-10. It would be a frankenstein, but it would work.
My bad, wrong post. I mean't to say the one behind the V-8. I'm having "Issues" today.:rant:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts