S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I am looking for your guys opinions. I have a 1990 s-10 with a 5 speed. It has 148,000 miles so I am sure at some point the engine or trans might go. It has the 4.3 V6 which I have heard is not uncommon for them to pass the 200,000 mark. Anyhow what would you guys recommend for a V8.

What would be the most cost effective?
What would give me best performance for the $$$ and have lots of upgrades for?
What would be better for a daily driver...LT1 or a TBI 350?

Like I said what would you guys recommend...I am looking basically for something that will have lots of get up and go along with somewhat decent gas mileage.....and of course most reasonably priced.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
go with a 350, cheap rebuild kits for them, go find a mototr in a wrecked truck or car. A motor with a carb will be the easiest to do, but TBI would be a great daily driver. Mileage is going to depend on how you have the motor setup. A V8 will be a great upgrade. A 350 will probably be cheaper than rebuilding the V6 also.:thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would recommend to use a 350 for your conversion since it is the most popular chevy engine and has the most accessories including performance parts for it. I have converted 1 S-10 and am currently working on the second now to carbed small blocks. I would recommend to go with a fuel injected engine either tb, tpi, or multiport type for yours. I say this due to the increased fuel efficiency, throttle response and overall better reliability that could be gained when compared to a carbed engine. The next project S-10 I will be doing will be a LT1 or fuel injected 350 out of a full-size truck. Whatever you do will most likely depend on your budget, but remember you will be the one who is driving it so take your time and do it the way you want it so you are happy with it.

·
Z06 S10
366 Posts
fuel-injection will cost a little more then a carbed motor but it will be more reliable if it is done right....you will get better gas milage too....(LT-1 or T.B.I.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts