S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering how much are like lt1 camaro and vortec v8 truck motors selling for? from a junkyard or wherever is cheapest? i suspect its not any to cheap. the vortecs out of full size trucks should be readily available though. i am sure the tranny from one is expensive as well. plus i am sure you would need the computer as well. i bet a swap like that is mighty expensive. i would say the motor, computer, and tranny alone would be 3,500. if i ever did a v8 swap i think i would go FI prolly out of a full size chevy p/u. mainly because i drove an s-10 with a 93 lt1 in it. 82 s-10 completely re-done. new interior, paint, the works! 700r4 tranny. thing ran awesome. cleanest 82 i have ever seen and the swap was better then GM could have done it. had stock rear end with a posi unit. it was a hands full! slap shifter in it was not needed at all ;) fast as he!! in drive. one day i vow my s-10 will get a FI v8 swap.

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
hey there

your right when u say that i want fi, i have a 305 with a carb and if i could do it again there is no way i would chose this setup. if i had the money i would go for a ram jet crate motor but thats really expensive. but remeber if your going to do this swap take how much all the big stuff is like motor, tranny and all that stuff and add like $600 more for all the little bits and peices, thats what suprised me when i did mine. all the houses and mounts and all the little things that u forgot to get off the engine

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have done alot of research on v8 swaps even have the jtr book. but i know if i ever did it i would do it right and get what i wanted. built vortec v8 or lt1 with a 6sp!!! also get a new rear end and new discs all the way around. basically try to make it a camaro SS with a bed :D heck even get the interior out of a camaro. at least the seats. smokin stock 5.0's and camaro's. and getting around 22 MPG. thats what that 82 s-10 with lt1 swap got. thats just amazing! well for now though, stickin with exterior mods. might as well get it looking fast, i can afford that :p

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
i want to try that to. that is putting in the camaro interior. i think that would be sweet. there is a truck out there that does have a 95 camaro dash in it but he saud it took him a long time time to make fit

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you already have throttle body injection(TBI), then you can use your existing computer and harness. I don't know if it will work with a Vortec engine or not. I saw a S-10 at a car show that had a 350 TBI from a fullsize truck, and he used the V6 computer and harness, but had to buy an aftermarket chip. If you compare the TBI engines in S-10's and fullsize trucks, they are almost identical except for size. The V8 throttle body itself is bigger and has bigger fuel injectors, but it uses the same electrical connectors. Your best option is to look for a 1988-1995 (non Vortec) fullsize Chevy/GMC truck. If you already have a carb V8, then you could get Edelbrock's TBI intake to replace the carb intake. You would also need to get a trottle body and a few sensors. You won't get as good gas mileage as the Vortec or TPI/LT-1, but the TBI motors are easier to find and cheaper. Check out the S-10 V8 conversion manuals from
Advance Adapters ( http://www.advanceadapters.com/ ) and
Jags That Run ( http://www.jagsthatrun.com/ )
They have all the information you need for a V8 swap. They are worth the money. Good luck!

·
Flipped Out Aswang
25 Posts
I was asking lhtperformance how much it would be for them to put a 383 in my Blazer.

They said anywhere from $3000-$5000. In Canadian, I'm lookin at $6000-$10000 and that's before the engine too.

The pricing for engines I got from GM Performance Pace Parts catalog that I got.

Here's the link to the site.

http://www.paceparts.com/

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
dam thats alot of cash

im sure there is some place to do it cheaper isnt there

were in canada are ya

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
Xcess said:
I was asking lhtperformance how much it would be for them to put a 383 in my Blazer.

They said anywhere from $3000-$5000. In Canadian, I'm lookin at $6000-$10000 and that's before the engine too.

The pricing for engines I got from GM Performance Pace Parts catalog that I got.

Here's the link to the site.

http://www.paceparts.com/
Sad to say, they are a little overpriced. Provided you had all the complete motor, tranny, and exhaust you wanted, you could get it for a lot cheaper. Hell, carbed v8 s-10s around here are $3000 and I know where I can get a 56 Chevy that has a 383 for $2500.

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
You can pick up an LT1 for $1600 complete with a 4L80e tranny.

You can get a crate LT4...yes there are a few of them left....just have to search. For $2600

Get a Crate LS1 for around $2600 as well.

·
Flipped Out Aswang
25 Posts
Southern said:

Sad to say, they are a little overpriced. Provided you had all the complete motor, tranny, and exhaust you wanted, you could get it for a lot cheaper. Hell, carbed v8 s-10s around here are $3000 and I know where I can get a 56 Chevy that has a 383 for $2500.
Where, I'm lookin for a 383. What are the specs on the 383? Mileage and all.

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
Another option if you can not get that. Is to get the stroke kit. It is not that expensive.

I would go to a 396 stroke. But that is a personal preference

·
Flipped Out Aswang
25 Posts
Southern, thanks

Phiber-Optik, I never heard of the 396 stroker kit. Mind tellin me more about it?

·
up to sumthing
575 Posts
Phiber-Optik said:
You can pick up an LT1 for $1600 complete with a 4L80e tranny.

You can get a crate LT4...yes there are a few of them left....just have to search. For $2600

Get a Crate LS1 for around $2600 as well.
Where can you get a Crate LS1 for around $2600???

·
Flipped Out Aswang
25 Posts
samdogmx said:

Where can you get a Crate LS1 for around $2600???
Almost no where. But check out Ebaymotors.com. They got some pretty good LS1 engines for around that price and cheaper sometimes.

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
Xcess said:
Southern, thanks

Phiber-Optik, I never heard of the 396 stroker kit. Mind tellin me more about it?
You can get the stroker kits at MTI, Lingenfelter or any of the companies that specialize in build ups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts