S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have obtained a 1991 4.3 V6 from a wrecked {T-boned} S10 to install in my 1957 Jeep. Since I will be going with just pipes and muffler {no Cat}, and have not run a V6 previously, I would like some MUFFLER advice for this engine. I would like a tasty idle, but, nice deep VROOM on acceleration without the cab being rattled. Anyone have experience with such a setup and what did you find worked best? THANKS!

·
Been there Done it
11,896 Posts
A TBI 4.3 V6's won't go VROOM no matter what muffler you put on it. Actually no version of the 4.3 will.
Your choices are quiet or loud and annoying.

Reactions: bk2life

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have obtained a 1991 4.3 V6 from a wrecked {T-boned} S10 to install in my 1957 Jeep.
Your willy needs a real heart J

A TBI 4.3 V6's won't go VROOM no matter what muffler you put on it. Actually no version of the 4.3 will.
Your choices are quiet or loud and annoying.
X2 on this. V6s never sounded good. But your best bet is probably a autozone performance oval muffler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I don't have a point of reference.. so, I'll try the Autozone I guess. No sense in going expensive until I hear some basics.

·
Been there Done it
11,896 Posts
X2 on this. V6s never sounded good. But your best bet is probably a autozone performance oval muffler
[/QUOTE]

I used to use the NAPA turbo mufflers. They're louder than stock. A little. I've never tried one on a V6, but the TBI 350 I had in my 94 sounded OK with it. Got a warning from a state cop once about it. I thought he was being a bit overzealous. Our rural county is full of Harleys and 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that are a heck of a lot louder.
We own a rental house right on the village limit. The 20 more MPH sign is right in the front yard. On weekends the noise of everyone punching it is a PITA.
I guess that warning still bothers me. I threw it away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't bother with 'noise' anymore in Florida.. so many souped trucks and cycles..Turbo sounds like a good choice... Not really looking for loudness per se..just good breathing and not sounding like a Toyota Camry. 😵

·
Registered
439 Posts
I recently bought a '99 Blazer with the 4.3L in it. It has a Magnaflow on it, have no idea of the model but most folks think it's been swapped to a V8. Sounds great...if I can figure out the model, I'll put 'em on all my 6-bangers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By virtue of other posts & vehicles, I would guess a 44 or 40 model. They sound great, just didn't know they would on an engine I've yet to run.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy S-Noma
94 Posts
I had 3" exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler and a 4" tip on my '02 Blazer X and loved it. I personally like the sound of a 4.3 with this exhaust. It has a nice rumble and tone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much. Yes, it is better to hear what someone tried and WORKED. Then what doesn't... I'll check this out at the right time. Again, thanks

·
Registered
1998 Chevy S-Noma
94 Posts
No problem, for me when it comes to exhaust, Flowmaster is always my answer. I also had same setup on my '00 extended cab Xtreme. I think that one sounded even better. Im not sure if it was because the extended cab is way longer than the blazer, hence way more pipe needed? Be interesting to hear it on a Jeep with a total length of maybe 6' of exhaust Lol. Either way you can make a 4.3 sound good.

·
Boozebag
9,858 Posts
V6 exhaust pulses make a "rasp".
If you go with X2 exhaust, a set of most any brand performance muffs will work.
The trick is to install either an "X" pipe in the system or an "H" - (connects the 2 sides of the exhaust) as close to the front of the system as possible.
As I remember from many of the Jeeps I have owned, there is not a lot of room under the truck to install X2 pipes. It can be done though. (Xfer case, fuel tank and narrow frame rails)
The other important part of the system is to install tailpipes to the rear of the vehicle to carry noise away from the interior. This is not the total answer, but it helps reduce cabin drone.
I have used Heart throb (exhaust brand) 3" systems on many of my S10s, it is a single system that offers great sound without being offensive. It can give improved performance for both 4 an 6 cylinder units.
Good luck... Post pix if you can.

·
Registered
S10 4x4, S Blazer
6 Posts
4.3's have a very distinct sound. They all sound exactly the same just like a 5.0 mustang. I have run most all mufflers and stick with a cheap dual chamber race with a resonator. Sounds best imo.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I am a fan of Magnaflow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts