S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a t-5 in an S-10 be used with a v-8 ? I am building a rat rod and can get the
trans for free. The rod will be very light under 2500 lbs so it should be strong enought.

·
Registered
726 Posts
NO
T5'S WERE ONLY OFFERED BEHIND 4CYL AND 2.8 V6 AND ARE VERY WEAK
EVEN IF YOU GET A V8 BELLHOUSING THE T5 WONT LAST VERY LONG
SORRY BOUT ALL CAPS
FORGOT CAPLOCK WAS ON AND i AINT RETYPIN

·
Call me Mario, Princess
2,664 Posts
They put t-5s behind 302 mustangs if you don't beet the crap out of it and use gear oil insted off transmission fluid it should hold up

·
Registered
779 Posts
theres a couple versions of the t5 i believe....the ones in the s10 were the weaker version. they work well though. manuals are always fun and worth keeping if you have it already.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
depends on what t5 u wanna use. a t5 from a s10(is called t5 non world class), i would suggest not. a t5 from a foxbody mustang or late 80's early 90's camaro, yes(t5 world class)

·
Registered
21 Posts
so you can use the stock tranny from a 5sp 2.2 on a v8. I am putting in a 5.3 in my 98 s-10 so could i use that tranny just to get buy for a while . and were did you guys get a bell housing for that tranny. thanks mike

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
NO, no shitty trannies, if it didnt come on a v8, its not gonna take the beating of a v8 unless u drive it like a 89 year old woman!!! and i know people arent putting v8's in to drive it like a granny.
i think thats something people over look when doing v8 swaps, if ur going to spend the money to put the motor YOU MUST spend the money to put a good tranny behind it too. thats why alot of guys on this forum WANT v8 swaps, because it takes a while to save up the money to do shit right

·
Registered
779 Posts
^^^they dont hold up. mine lasted 15 minutes. and my trans from a 2500hd is starting to whine and make some bad noises after about a month. and no i dont go to the track. id suggest a the world class t5 or a t10 or muncie if you can figure out the linkage for the clutch.

·
Broke as hell....
195 Posts
What about an old 4speed out of a truck? Ive got a 3speed here at the house and it pulls around perty good in the '61

·
Broke as hell....
195 Posts
Muncie???

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lets get a little more tecnical. Some 2.2 trucks were built with the 26 spline input shaft. This is not the same t5 that the 14 tooth variety is. Lets count teeth? I believe the 95 and 96 years were the only users of some 26 spline inputs. Seems like they were waiting for something to happen elsewhere and had to use something.

You might want to build it with the 26 spline, if you have one. the T10 BW fits on the same clutch setup. That way you can replace the tranny later.

Dont know what they used in your year. The original t5 wat about a 275 hose unit brand new. The next version probably about 325 when they went to the 26 spline. On a 2500 pound car thats enough. Thats wheel power. The original wc mustangs were this style. A newr version, perhaps 2 were added to later mustangs, but still t5 and had some more strengthening in critical areas.

The mustangs come with them brand new. The ones we convert over and are 250 thousand miles old are not new. A mustang tranny with 250 thousand miles is not going to last you a week longer than a 26 spline Chevy one. To compare, lets not get out of the orchard. Camaro 305's (F body) also had the 26 spline versions, but have a tailshaft that is too long for an S10, maybe not for you. The v8 had the 26 spline, the 14 spline went in the 4 and 6 cyl.

Gotta look.

If you want good results then use the hydraulic setup. The t5 was not designed with a mechanical clutch in mind. A camaro V8 bellhousing (F body)has a 17 degree tilt towards the driver, but might work out for you and has hydraulics. The t5 and the t10 will both bolt to it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was just gettin ready to say that the F-body T5 had some sort of angle issues when mounted in S10
and I know of a guy from a few years back on one of the boards who was buildin a faegol supercharged 2.8 and also did a W/C T5 swap from a mustang and was able to make it work but there was hiccups along the way and last I heard the speedo still didnt work
I am pretty sure he had a plan to make the speedo work but got tied up in the engine build and then lost finances or interest or something

I would never trust a T5 from a 2.5 or 2.8 behind a V8 unless its a stock 305 in an extremely lightened platform
not even under a bone stock S10 would I expect it to hold up for any length of time
if you were building it for mpg and drive it under 2k rpm all the time maybe
but the first time you put the boot to it to merge into traffic or something I wouldnt be surprised if it shows its true colors
not to mention the last year S10 to use a T5 was a 95
so if your junkyard huntin how many miles does the average S10 in the junkyard have
so unless you rebuild it your already at a disadvantage as far as strength is concerned
and if your gonna pay to rebuild it you may as well start off with a NV3500 and rebuild that instead and put stronger internals in it

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
do people not search?
NV3500

·
Registered
608 Posts
True about the 96, I stand corrected. However the 94 and 95 2.2 motors had the 1 1/8th shaft with the 26 tooth count. A World Class. Yes the simplest model of that version. Same as used on Camaro v8's. Had longer tailshaft for the Camaro.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts