S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to upgrade my stereo and speakers in my truck but dont want to get to in over my head. If I put in a bluetooth touchscreen and 4 new speakers would I need to get a high amp alternator along with the big 3 upgrade.?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You do not have to but I would suggest it along with the alternator upgrade from a 5.3 Tahoe, Van etc.

·
Squid Life
1,781 Posts
No way I would get that deep into it for just a radio and speakers. I put 6 speakers in the cab with the new head unit and I run a 500W mono amp to 2 10" subs and I just upgraded my grounds. I just want a nice radio to listen to...I am not trying to win any competitions. I also run electric fans and have had zero problems with the stock alternator.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you're just planning a stereo and speakers with no external amp you'll be completely fine with your stock wiring and alternator. Most stereos have a pretty simple chip amp inside.

·
Been there Done it
12,460 Posts
What year truck are we talking about? The alternators got higher in output as the electrical systems grew.

·
Been there Done it
12,460 Posts
With a Tutu you have to worry about a bigger alternator robbing the engine of what little HP it does have. New at the crank it was 118. 27 years later at the wheels you might have 50-60 HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts