S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding my '85 reg cab long bed chassis in perpetration for a 1948 chevy pickup. I'm dropping it 2" in the front and 3" in the rear. I'm stripping the chassis clean of everything so I can blast it and reassemble. My thought are since I'm rebuilding everything I am going to upgrade a little. My problem is I don't know much about the options I have, hence why I'm turning to you pro's!

The chassis I have is already lowered. (Rear has 3 inch blocks, front I am unsure if it's springs or spindles, any idea if there is a way to tell.)

I did a little reading and it was recommended that I get drop leafs from bell tech. Or blocks. I called beltech and they said there springs are designed for short bed trucks..... The difference???? Also thinking of buying replacement shackles, sway bar brackets for the back also.
Shocks?
3rd shock nessasary for the rear?

Thinking poly bush all around.

Front
I am unsure what to buy. I don't want to spend 5k on suspension components, but I don't want to just buy stock replacement.
Tubular control arms?
Springs?
Tall BJ's?
Big brake swap? (Herd I could use 98+ blazer/jimmy rotors and calipers. And will those bolt right to 2in drop spindles for the 85 s10?
Zq8 front 33mm sway bar?
Shocks?

I guess I'm looking for a recommended, middle of the road parts list. :D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You have to get drop spindles for the '98+ blazer 2wd to use the brakes. I think bell tech is 2102, I know it's not the 2100. The rest idk. Welcome and have fun with your truck! There are Z51 and corvette or camaro swaps on here too. The google custom search button near the top of the page is handy to get you answers.

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Im rebuilding my '85 reg cab long bed chassis in perpetration for a 1948 chevy pickup. I'm dropping it 2" in the front and 3" in the rear. I'm stripping the chassis clean of everything so I can blast it and reassemble. My thought are since I'm rebuilding everything I am going to upgrade a little. My problem is I don't know much about the options I have, hence why I'm turning to you pro's!

The chassis I have is already lowered. (Rear has 3 inch blocks, front I am unsure if it's springs or spindles, any idea if there is a way to tell.)

I did a little reading and it was recommended that I get drop leafs from bell tech. Or blocks. I called beltech and they said there springs are designed for short bed trucks..... The difference???? Also thinking of buying replacement shackles, sway bar brackets for the back also.
Shocks?
3rd shock nessasary for the rear?

Thinking poly bush all around.

Front
I am unsure what to buy. I don't want to spend 5k on suspension components, but I don't want to just buy stock replacement.
Tubular control arms?
Springs?
Tall BJ's?
Big brake swap? (Herd I could use 98+ blazer/jimmy rotors and calipers. And will those bolt right to 2in drop spindles for the 85 s10?
Zq8 front 33mm sway bar?
Shocks?

I guess I'm looking for a recommended, middle of the road parts list. :D
sorry ive taken so long to reply

first, since this is a conversion, your weights are going to be different, im not sure by how much, you will have to figure this out yourself if you want proper spring rates, or you can guess and check.

you can tell drop sindles from stock spindles by looking on the backside of the spindle to see where the snout is pressed in. drop spindles are right in the middle and stock spindles are closer to the lower ball joint.

stock left, 2" drop right

i would prefer a 1-2" drop leaf with a 1 or 2" block over a full block. you want to keep a little bit of arch in the springs to keep a little roll steer geometry, at the same time you dont want to long of a block, unless of course caltracs are used. you can remove the 3rd leaf from you stock spring, and then block it to desired height.

shocks? numerous choices. i like bilstiens for "budget". if i wanted to get more serious, id get a double adjustable, like vi-king.

if you want an anti hop device i would get something like caltracs. if those are too much $, you can make your own; if you couldn't do that, then sure 3rd shock i guess.

i answered everything else in the other thread already

tall bjs, yes
tubular uppers, yes if tall bjs
tubular lower, not unless you have cash to burn, or want to properly mount coil over, or you want more unsprung weight
springs, who knows without knowing what this contraption will weigh
big brakes by me
zq8 bar, yes

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f14/corvette-and-ls1-brake-swaps-how-to-and-info-522849/
http://proforged.com/catalog/1985/Chevrolet/S10/drive_type/RWD/part_type/Suspension-Ball-Joint
get 2 rights http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chromoly-Upper-Control-Arm-Steel-Cross-Shaft,5584.html

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Sweet!!! Thanks! You say "2 rights"? Why is that? You do breaks?
Those arms are for circle track cars, the right and left's are different length for always turning in the same direction. You want the same length while at the same time a slightly shorter arm to get the correct chamber adjustment range and 2 right arms fits the bill.

Yes I do big brake kits. Click the first link I provided, read the whole thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you think about Spohn performance?

How does one get a big break swap kit from you shawn? And how much?

·
I turn.
2,555 Posts

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Do you mean less unsprung weight? My Spohn lowers were lighter than the OEM pieces.
well the sphon stuff kicks ass, so it figures. but every other brand of tubular lower arms ive seen weighed, and some of the uppers, weighed more than the stock one by quite a bit. so i assumed the sphons did too, thats what i get for assuming.

amgerry pm me with what you want and i can quote you a price.

·
I turn.
2,555 Posts
I would have to search for the exact numbers but I think Harley also weighed his ART strong arms and they were substantially lighter than stock. At some point I added up the weight loss with tubular upper and lower control arms and coil overs and it was ~30 lbs total (if I remember right).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the sphon stuff kicks ass, so it figures. but every other brand of tubular lower arms ive seen weighed, and some of the uppers, weighed more than the stock one by quite a bit. so i assumed the sphons did too, thats what i get for assuming.

amgerry pm me with what you want and i can quote you a price.

Here is my email.
[email protected]

I'm looking for big break conversion. I'm hearing a bunch of different things, 98+ 2wd jimmy, camaro ...... (Bigger roters and duel calipers)??? I'm planning on bell tech 2in dropped spindles.......what am I doing??? Lol

Also, I purchased sphon upper control arms. I believed you said I should get tall bj's, I'm sticking with the stock lowers just upgrading bushings, should I buy tall bj's for the lowers? I'm gonna go with the "pro forged".

Am I sounding right?

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
98+ blazer brakes use an almost identical caliper as the camaro brakes. but the rotor is smaller at 10.76" and it requires that you use the blazer spindle and bearing. very little to no machine work needs to be done to the blazer spindle to mount just about any big brakes. drop blazer spindles are expensive as are the bearings. your looking at $500 just for a pair of those 2 items. this swap really only makes sense if you pull the whole stock assembly at a pick-a part or find a craigslist deal or something. a lot of people like it because it is bolt on and go, but it is the lowest performing setup of all the conversions available.

did you read the brake swap sticky i posted above?

do both upper and lower tall bjs for the best performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts