S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gain can i expect to see w/ an MSD 6a ignition, MSD timing controller, and JBA wires. Will i see pretty good improvments in the HP/ TQ and throttle response or not much..

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
not much at all. it`s actually quite hard to beat the stock ign. system.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
The multi spark stuff can help with the responsiveness and fuel economy (very slightly) but as for HP and performance... not going to see any gains.

·
Registered
861 Posts
fun & relaxing game my ass i got pissed off in about 2min of playimg :rant:

bg's said:
Please don't get me started on MSD..I haven't taken my BP meds yet..

·
Powered by Xtant
38 Posts
Upgrading the ignition doesn't gennerally do anything for HP/torque. The primary reason most people upgrade their ignition is b/c they have performed some modification that requires them to upgrade their ignition. Like putting NOS or forced induction will generally require a hotter spark to completely burn the entire intake charge.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i went with the msd 6a with accel 8.8 wires and u really cant tell too much of a difference at low rpms but when u get above like 2500 or are going like 55 and nail it, there is a very sensable response than without the msd setup. i put mine on, drove it around for a few thousand and could tell a difference. then i took it off and drove it and thats when i could really tell the difference it made in my performance without having it on. i like my setup and i would say its worth it.

·
Nitto1320 M O D
1,612 Posts
MSDs are mainly for old carbureted V8s ... The modern technology has really made todays stock ignitions pretty consistent..

I.E. My old Roadrunner had a stock ignition and I built the 360 in it... off the line and during quick excelerations you could feel a dead miss, Also the morning starts were rough and I got bad tachometer readings... Installed the 6-AL ignition and got excellent throttle response and quicker firing with the new CD ignition.

If you plan on modding your 4.3 you might consider the CD igntion, but if its just stock and your just looking for a bolt on go-fast part, the MSD wont get you far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts