S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to avoid getting a kit for lifting my 95 4WD 4DR. I was thinking of getting 14 inch rims to make a set of 30s look bigger, friend of mine had custom tires made 10 inches wide to fit an 8 inch rim for extra protection and I really like the less square look. I am totally new to tires and was hoping to do a similar thing and imagine I would have to have one less inch of backspacing for less rubbing. I am comfortable cutting a little off fender if I can cover it with some bush wacker fender flares. I don’t know what my measurements are for mine and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction or have some tips and ideas. Looking to possibly crank the torsions and I think have an AAL from old 87 s10 pickup, not wanting a kit so I don’t have to replace as often and it will hold an alignment. Also looking to get some better quality suspension parts for the rough gravel roads.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
559 Posts
You can put the add-a-leaf in the rear and crank up the torsion bars up to 1.5" safely. You can easily fit a set of 30x9.50x15 tires on your truck with no trimming and 31x10.50x15 with alittle trimming. No reason to drop down to the 14" rims. Moog Problem Series suspension parts are better than OEM and standard Moog series parst.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can put the add-a-leaf in the rear and crank up the torsion bars up to 1.5" safely. You can easily fit a set of 30x9.50x15 tires on your truck with no trimming and 31x10.50x15 with alittle trimming. No reason to drop down to the 14" rims. Moog Problem Series suspension parts are better than OEM and standard Moog series parst.
So to fit the 30x9.50x15 tires do I have to add a leaf and crank it or can it be stock?

·
Been there Done it
11,213 Posts
I'm running 31/10.50R15 Goodyear Duratracs that are brand new on my totally stock 1999 4wd. I had to fold over the very bottom of fender about 1/2" at the rear of the front wheel openings. That was the only rubbing I had WITH STOCK WHEELS. You start changing wheels to something with a different offset and you'll have issues. The farther they stick out the more they rub. Unless you jack it up, which wears out front end parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running 31/10.50R15 Goodyear Duratracs that are brand new on my totally stock 1999 4wd. I had to fold over the very bottom of fender about 1/2" at the rear of the front wheel openings. That was the only rubbing I had WITH STOCK WHEELS. You start changing wheels to something with a different offset and you'll have issues. The farther they stick out the more they rub. Unless you jack it up, which wears out front end parts.
My current wheels were on it when I bought it, some rusty rally style with a little offset, I plan on replacing them. I’ll look for some with the same offset as stock though. If I get wider tires I imagine they would rub just as if I got offset rims. Would I still get rub with wide 30’s?

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
559 Posts
If you are using stock offset wheels then you will be fine with the 30's or 31's. I just like to do the 1.5" torsion crank as it doesn't harm the truck suspension parts and gives it alittle extra room. Going beyond that amount will increase wear on the balljoints and front axle shafts.

·
Been there Done it
11,213 Posts
Post a pic of your ugly wheels so we can see the offset. You're going to want to loose them when you put fancy new tires on anyway.

Be aware, only the AR62-5762 is the correct 50mm offset. There are a lot of other AR62 models and sizes.
These would be what was optional on you truck originally.

·
Been there Done it
11,213 Posts
They look like Camaro/Corvette rally wheels. I'd repaint the wheels the same color as the truck, get new center caps and run 'em. there are a number of choices for the centers.

Reactions: Hess13x

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
243 Posts
That center cap is 1968 and up, usually Camaro & Corvette, used on 15x7 and 15x8 inch wheels. 1967 used the flatter cap that said "Disc Brakes" on it, it was used on all SS models with disc brakes and 15x6 and 15x7 rally wheels and Corvettes. There's another bare cap that said Chevrolet Motor Division without the words disc brakes that looks just like the disc brakes cap, it was used on some wheel covers (hub caps), I think the cover that looked like fins. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts