S-10 Forum banner

Updated How-To Cavi Seat Swap

104K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  4x2blacks10 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
-Picked up some cavalier seats and all of the how-to threads ever made do not have pics anymore and it frustrated me, just like it does other people who are looking to do the swap. I decided to do something about it and take pics. Hope they help

-Cavi seats were put into a 98 s10 extended cab that allready had stock buckets. For the 98 and up, the hardest part is getting the seats out of the truck because of the torx.

-For first generation s-series and 94-97 second gens the Cavy seats should bolt directly to the S-Series seat tracks without having to drill holes.(check the last few steps for this to make sense)

-Putting these seats in will give you a gain in headroom bc they sit a little lower. They also are a lot more comfortable than the stockers (i.m.o.)

- If you make sure you have bucket or 60/40 seat tracks for the proper year of your S-10 then you should not have to drill any holes in your floor! (If your truck is a first-gen, get first gen seat tracks. If its a 94-97 use 94-97 tracks. 98+ use 98+ tracks. You get the idea.)

-If you have stock bucket seats or a 60/40 (split) bench seat, you can use those seat tracks to put on your Cavi seats. If you have a full bench seat, I believe you will have to go out and find some bucket or 60/40 seat tracks in order for this to work properly.

-You can get this style seat from any newer Chevy Cavalier or Pontiac Sunfire. They have various colors/prints available. Just go check out your local junkyard. Getting them from a 2-door is best because they have the tab in the back so you can tilt the seat forward so you can have access to behind the seats. Camaro seats also work for this swap.

Tools Needed….
13mm wrench (ratcheting one would be nice)
T50 Torx
T20 Torx
Drill and some sort of bit (5/16” worked for me)

Cavi Seats (Left one with s10 track on)

Comparison of both seats (Stock S-10 Bucket on Left, Cavi seat on Right):

Underside of S-10 Bucket, stock seat track still on:

First thing you need to do is take the seat track off of the S10 seat. When taking it off, Simply feel in each corner between the seat track and foam padding for 4 nuts(13mm) and remove each bolt from all 4 corners, In the rear part there are two bolts (one in the corner and one in front) holding the seat track on.(bracket bolt pictured below) You will be removing a total of 6 (13mm) nuts.

On the side with the seat belt, you need to unbolt the seat belt latch from the side of the seat, in order to swap it over to your new seats. You'll need to unclip the seat cover from the back and side with the seat belt so you can pull it back to reveal the Torx so you can take off your seat belt latch, loosen the T50 Torx you find and take your seat belt latch off.
(Torx pictured below)

Also remove the plate that holds the seat adjuster handle (T20 Torx)

This is what you should have once you get it off.
Bottom of s10 seat (below)

S10 tracks (below)

Next you need to start drilling your holes on the cavi seats. Start with the two front holes that already exist. All you need to do for the front holes is drill out the threads so the S10 tracks will fit. I used a 5/16” bit for this. I recommend getting a good set of drill bits, you’ll thank yourself in the end.

Front hole drilled out

(This step is only for 98+ S-Series) On the back of the seat you'll need to find were the tracks need to go then drill your holes accordingly. I just lined the tracks up and made sure the front bolt was in its hole and marked where the rear bolt was and drilled. It should be about a half inch behind the original hole. Below are the holes drilled in the bottom of the Cavi seat for the S10 tracks to fit. (original hole is on the bottom)

Now all you need to do is put the tracks in the holes and tighten the nuts down.(only 4 nuts this time, one in each corner) Don't forget to put the cross bar in so you can slide your seat forward/back.
Here's the seat tracks installed. (cross bar not pictured)

Now all you have to do is bolt them into your truck and enjoy the sweet smell of success.

Here is a Cavi vs. S10 seat in the truck (Cavi seat on driver's side)

Here is a Pic of the final product, I removed the head rests for a better look.

See less See more
#39 ·
Hello I am just wondering if anyone can maybe circle these parts as i do not understand what the L Bracket is.

-Picked up some cavi seats and all of the how-to threads ever made do not have pics anymore and it frustrated me, just like it does other people who are looking to do the swap. I decided to do something about it and take pics and add them to the old how-to. Hope they help
-Cavi seats were put into a 98 s10 extended cab. For the 98 and up, the hardest part is getting the seats out of the truck because of the torx.

Tools Needed….
13mm wrench (ratcheting one would be nice)
T50 Torx
T20 Torx
Drill and some sort of bit (5/16” worked for me)

Cavi Seats (Left one with s10 track on)

Okay time for the original how-to that was Submitted by BlackEsDime, slightly modded and my pics added in………..

Comparison of both seats (Cavi seat on left):

Underside, seat track still on s10 seat:

First thing you need to do is take the seat track off of the S10 seat. When taking it off, remove the nuts from all 4 corners, and take the nut off the L bracket on the side without the seat belt.(bracket bolt pictured below

On the side with the seat belt, you need to unbolt the L bracket from the side of the seat to keep the mount for the seat belt latch. You'll need to unclip the seat cover from the back and side with the seat belt so you can pull it back to reveal the bolts. Also Remove the Torx so you can take off your seat belt latch if you need it

#41 ·
you could, but its just easier to change the racks, its only 4 bolts and a spring if you own a 94-97, 98+ you only drill 2 holes compared to 4 into the floor of your truck, when i put in my cavi's I about fell in love with them for the 20 bucks i paid for them

#44 ·
Hello can anyone help me out where is that l bracket that they are talking about and do you use your seat belt latch from your s10 seats on the cavalier ones.

First thing you need to do is take the seat track off of the S10 seat. When taking it off, remove the nuts from all 4 corners, and take the nut off the L bracket on the side without the seat belt.(bracket bolt pictured below)

#46 ·
The L bracket is the rear mounting point for the seat track on the original s-10 buckets. There are 2 bolts that connect the seat track to the L-bracket on each side, if you feel in between the padding on the bottom of the seat and the seat track you will feel two bolts there, remove those and you will free the rear part of the seat from the L-bracket.

The L-brackets are circled in red (this is a pic after the track is taken off of the s-10 seat.) This view is of the bottom of the seat with the top of the pic being the fron of the seat and the bottom being the rear.

Reactions: DrShankenstein
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.