S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2002Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Lets now discuss the ADVANTAGES one would receive if they converted their vehicle to a HYBRID.
Hybrids have better fuel efficiency and conserve more energy, thus emitting fewer carbon emissions. Less Fossil Fuel Dependency: Since hybrid vehicles are able to utilize the high voltage battery pack and electric motor(s) for propulsion, they don't rely on fossil fuels as much as standard gas cars.
Though hybrid vehicles are now growing in popularity still few people are actually using it mainly due to lack of knowledge of how hybrid vehicles work and whether they’re as good as other gasoline-powered vehicles.

Your hybrid can certainly handle long distance trips efficiently. However, there are some things to keep in mind. A hybrid operates more efficiently when kept under 50 miles per hour. So, city driving is a more efficient way to travel. If you choose to travel on the highway, the EPA fuel economy will be lower than that if you traveled in the city. This is simply something to keep in mind while planning your travels. At the same time, if you allow your vehicle to fully charge and the tank is full, it still may be worth your while to travel with your hybrid. As long as you can fit all your supplies and your passengers are comfortable, why not utilize your hybrid?

What does it mean when a vehicle is a hybrid?
Hybrid electric vehicles are powered by an internal combustion engine and an electric motor, which uses energy stored in batteries. A hybrid electric vehicle cannot be plugged in to charge the battery. Instead, the battery is charged through regenerative braking and by the internal combustion engine
Please consider this to see if it will work as a option for you, I truly value your opinion and feedback, please get back to me.
Thank you,
From the High Country Colorado
Hank W.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Automotive carrying rack Sky Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Sky Mountain Plant Plant community Nature
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lets now discuss the ADVANTAGES one would receive if they converted their vehicle to a HYBRID.
Hybrids have better fuel efficiency and conserve more energy, thus emitting fewer carbon emissions. Less Fossil Fuel Dependency: Since hybrid vehicles are able to utilize the high voltage battery pack and electric motor(s) for propulsion, they don't rely on fossil fuels as much as standard gas cars.
Though hybrid vehicles are now growing in popularity still few people are actually using it mainly due to lack of knowledge of how hybrid vehicles work and whether they’re as good as other gasoline-powered vehicles.

Your hybrid can certainly handle long distance trips efficiently. However, there are some things to keep in mind. A hybrid operates more efficiently when kept under 50 miles per hour. So, city driving is a more efficient way to travel. If you choose to travel on the highway, the EPA fuel economy will be lower than that if you traveled in the city. This is simply something to keep in mind while planning your travels. At the same time, if you allow your vehicle to fully charge and the tank is full, it still may be worth your while to travel with your hybrid. As long as you can fit all your supplies and your passengers are comfortable, why not utilize your hybrid?

What does it mean when a vehicle is a hybrid?
Hybrid electric vehicles are powered by an internal combustion engine and an electric motor, which uses energy stored in batteries. A hybrid electric vehicle cannot be plugged in to charge the battery. Instead, the battery is charged through regenerative braking and by the internal combustion engine.
Please consider this to see if it will work as a option for you, I truly value your opinion and feedback, please get back to me.
Thank you,
From the High Country Colorado
Hank W.

View attachment 362190 View attachment 362191 View attachment 362192 View attachment 362193
1978 Ford Electric F-100 Concept Vehicle

Ford created this vehicle to test and check out the engine or the FORD Mach E Mustang, it shows what a $4500 Electric crate engine can do.. 0-60 mph in about 3.0 seconds is impressive. Please check out this video, let me know what you think? Maybe finally a more affordable electric vehicle is now about to happen. Wonder what it would take to put this engine in a S-10. Batteries could go under a the bed with a lift type mechanism, mmmmmmmmm might work I reckon. Please enjoy.
Thank you,
Hank W.
Colorado High County

Font Auto part Automotive super charger part Illustration Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am still awaiting the estimate request I submitted to the vendor about the hybrid conversion for my truck. But I will keep all of you people that are active in this electric vehicle story going with the unique or interesting information I find as I research. Anyone interested in a girl whom made her own E pickup out of a brand new Tesla 3. I will post the video tomorrow or if you are really wanting to see. Plug in the word TRUCKLA and see what happens. Have a good night.
Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Thank you.
Hank

·
Registered
456 Posts
just my 2 cents, but an electric vehicle is not 'zero carbon' unless you are using power that is generated by a zero carbon powerplant... ie. if the power co burns coal to get electricity to your charger and into your battery then all you did in an electric conversion is move your emissions from your exhaust pipe to the power plant's smoke stack...

the process of generating electricity is generally inefficient and wasteful: the powerplant has to generate more power than is needed to avoid a brownout. thats uncalculable waste. there are losses in the power grid itself too...
also, the charging process is inefficient. theres lots of wasted energy when you charge a battery....
it is by no means 100W in = 100W out of the battery...
I don't know how efficient and clean the whole processes are for gas vs electric but i would venture to say they are a lot closer than one would think and thus any joeschmoe with a 20+ yr old truck should base such decisions solely upon his wallet...

if you want to save the environment via an s10 just put in junkyard parts.

if you are seriously interested in battery powered vehicles, convert a bicycle first. if you cant convert a bike, you cant convert a car. you can make a diy e-bike go 40+ mph and have enough range to travel all over town. you can throw a spare battery in your backpack and go even further...

ps, your electric truck conversion wont have AC or heat... most people conveniently leave those out of the efficiency calculations... electric heat/ac are horribly inefficient.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for your input. But I am not discussing your political views or opinions about zero carbon on this posting. I want to keep this on the possibilities or ramifications of building or converting my S-10 to either full electric or hybrid. Have a nice day, Work Safe, BE SAFE.
from the Colorado High Country.
thank you,
Hank W.
Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Tree
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car
Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Tree
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here is a very interesting story I want to share with you.. Three years ago this girl wanted a electric pickup she decided to make one. This reminds me of a gentleman in Rhode Island "Mark Smith: who has a love of autos and converting them into utes or pickups. Here is his link: Kit Car | United States | Smyth Performance car to truck kits Please Enjoy.

thank you,
Hank W.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
dont be so dismissive hank. its not political. you are talking to someone who has built and sold multiple ebikes and large batteries. built multiple portable solar/wind stations and battery banks. your first post mentioned 'zero emission' and 'carbon-free' and thats not going to be practical or even possible because you cant control the emissions of grid power and you <likely> cant generate enough power yourself... thats a factual statement not a political one.

why not convert a bike or an atv to electric first? it would be more practical and cost effective. you would learn a lot...

in colorado you will need your heat and AC basically all year long, sometimes both in the same day... the heat/ac systems are likely not included in your quotes... are you prepared to go without heat/ac?? you are likely parking that truck for half a year without them...
an electric s10 will be a money pit, especially for someone who does not know how to build and maintain lithium batteries and electronics. every build is a prototypical hack job and requires constant tinkering by the owner.

if you want battery-vehicle content check out jehu garcia. he occasionally tries to sell stuff to viewers but he does have good info on his diy vehicle conversions.

theres plenty of e bike content. a bike build is childs play compared to a car.
build a functional bike first and you will have no desire to ever build an e-s10.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
dont be so dismissive hank. its not political. you are talking to someone who has built and sold multiple ebikes and large batteries. built multiple portable solar/wind stations and battery banks. your first post mentioned 'zero emission' and 'carbon-free' and thats not going to be practical or even possible because you cant control the emissions of grid power and you <likely> cant generate enough power yourself... thats a factual statement not a political one.

why not convert a bike or an atv to electric first? it would be more practical and cost effective. you would learn a lot...

in colorado you will need your heat and AC basically all year long, sometimes both in the same day... the heat/ac systems are likely not included in your quotes... are you prepared to go without heat/ac?? you are likely parking that truck for half a year without them...
an electric s10 will be a money pit, especially for someone who does not know how to build and maintain lithium batteries and electronics. every build is a prototypical hack job and requires constant tinkering by the owner.

if you want battery-vehicle content check out jehu garcia. he occasionally tries to sell stuff to viewers but he does have good info on his diy vehicle conversions.

theres plenty of e bike content. a bike build is chia1
clds play compared to a car.
build a functional bike first and you will have no desire to ever build an e-s10.
Thank you for giving me some negative parts about this conversion to electric S-10 project I am considering. I can use them in an upcoming article I am planning on DISADVANTAGES.
Hw

theres plenty of e bike content. a bike build is childs play compared to a car.
MR. NEEDAWHEEL,
Thank you for your statements regarding this thread. Some of the negative statements about converting my 2002 Chevy S-10 to either hybrid or electric, I have taken under advisement. I will want to use some of the things going you stated in an upcoming article or post on the Disadvantage portion I am planning on after I determine what my final objective of this project is. Have a good day, enjoy your weekend. Work Safe, BE SAFE

Thank you,
Hank W

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Snow
Vr6

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am currently researching another conversion company: EchoDrive
The company’s new EchoDrive bolt-on hybrid-electric system, which can reduce annual fuel costs by as much as 50-percent in some cases, consists of a Remy electric motor and a light-weight battery storage system.

In the near future EchoDrive will also be offered direct for installation on 2015 GM 2500/3500 gas-powered 2WD pickups. Installation is performed by an Echo-certified installer. Customers may choose to use a certified partner in Echo’s nationwide installation network or get training and certification for their in-house tech(s).

EchoDrive is being offered as a $12,500 upgrade. But that initial sticker shock is far less intimidating if you consider Echo Automotive has a lease program that is less than $200/month.

They claim it only takes four hours to convert and is removable in the future to change vehicles. Not availible for s-10 but will contact them to see what I can find out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here is more about Echo Drives systems a few diagrams to show ,what they add or change. Looks simple enough, But I do have to ask??? Does it Work?

Please look over the attachments
let me know what you think?
Have a good day, enjoy your weekend.,

thank you, Hank

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Aircraft engine Engineering Gas
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here is a very interesting story I want to share with you.. Three years ago this girl wanted a electric pickup she decided to make one. This reminds me of a gentleman in Rhode Island "Mark Smith: who has a love of autos and converting them into utes or pickups. Here is his link: Kit Car | United States | Smyth Performance car to truck kits Please Enjoy.

thank you,
Hank W.

her time/money would have been better spent on finding or fabricating a hitch to pull a small trailer instead of totaling out that expensive car...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I found DIY Electric Car Forum this past week, those people over there seem to specialize in electric vehicles. The storeys they tell are the same as I am getting here. EACH project has its own unique situation and there is no simple easy and cheap way to take on a conversion.
Good to know, I am starting to think, maybe l am bitting off more than I can chew with this. Project. Still researching this for now tho, just don't know if electric is for me. Here in the
high country I really need my 4 wheel drive. I do enjoy a lot of the features on my S-10 now. Please enjoy your week, Work Safe, BE SAFE.
From the Colorado High Country
Thank you,
Hank

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Hood

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I found DIY Electric Car Forum this past week, those people over there seem to specialize in electric vehicles. The storeys they tell are the same as I am getting here. EACH project has its own unique situation and there is no simple easy and cheap way to take on a conversion.
Good to know, I am starting to think, maybe l am bitting off more than I can chew with this. Project. Still researching this for now tho, just don't know if electric is for me. Here in the
high country I really need my 4 wheel drive. I do enjoy a lot of the features on my S-10 now. Please enjoy your week, Work Safe, BE SAFE.
Thank you,
Hank
yes. its pointlessly unfeasible, even for a capable diy-er. i know you dont want to hear it but if you get a decent full suspension mountain bike and a conversion motor from amazon (or the like) you can have some fun and learn about the technology without breaking the bank. you will end up with a very capable vehicle. you can run the motor off power tool batteries, especially the ones for outdoor equipment like lawnmowers. EGO is the battery brand i started with. using a name brand simplifies the battery and charging process. when you run out of power just stop and switch to a different battery. easy. i took a 250 mi trip on an ebike. when my batteries were low and i didnt want to pedal i just walked into a mcdonalds with a backpack containing two chargers... plugged the backpack into the wall, walked out rested up and charged up. no one was any wiser.

an ebike is the exact same concept as an e-car: motor, battery, charge controller.
the concept is really only useful when you can switch the battery on the fly. its actually a terrible idea for a car unless you only take short trips and can plug in while stopped.
its not a particularly reliable or efficient technology. if you cant easily check/repair/replace cells then the design is subpar. there is a ton of resistance when pushing energy into the battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I do have a mountain bike, I prefer to keep it pedal power because this old guy needs to exercise some way at least. Live on hill two blocks up and down to get Mail. Very good work out. Just read something today a new kind of lithium batteries lasting 25 years and good for electric vehicles. Let's see if it really works that well. Have a good day.
Thank you for your input
Hank Automotive carrying rack Sky Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't seen the topic of the American Power infrastructure discussed here, or at least I didn't see in mentioned. It was stated recently in a study of the power grids and plant infrastructure that if a solid 30% of automobile owners were to transition to EV vehicles, the infrastructure and power grid system would fail completely because it is not equipped to handle the load that would be placed on it. Any discussion on that??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I am not dealing with any of the political issues of going electric. I am wanting discussions about the differences of full electric vehicle and hybrid electric vehicles here. I am open to anything discused about batteries, drive trains, fuel economy or anything directly involved with a vehicle versus an electric vehicle. Buy seller operation. Have a good day, thank you for your input.

Thank you,
Hank

·
Registered
456 Posts
if i had an inkling to own an electric car i would own the chevy Volt.
the gas genset-battery-electric motor combo is ideal in my opinion. it can run on gas only.
the later year Volts had battery/range upgrades. volts can be had for next to nothing, and if im not mistaken there are plenty of people documenting successful battery maintenance like replacing a dead set of cells.

the real kicker though, is if someone manages to successfully upgrade a volt's battery/bms and gets the motor and genset to play along... i wouldnt be shocked if someone has already done it to some extent.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts