S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2002Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new thread to the one I started a few days ago On Electric Vehicle Conversions for the S-10, research is priovided by internet searches only for now. No personal contact by any of these companies now. Below are listed companies that claim they can convert vehicles.
EV conversions swap out a vehicle's internal combustion engine for an efficient, low-maintenance motor and electric battery. This allows car owners to re-purpose the body of a gas-powered vehicle and drive emissions-free. The good news is that converting a gasoline car to an electric one is getting easier and easier.
EV conversion companies are growing in number and sophistication. Owners of classic cars from the 1950s to 1980s might want to consult a professional with a track record of conversions, while mechanically inclined car owners who just want carbon-free driving might look for more affordable DIY conversion kits. Continue reading for our list of the best EV conversion companies.
Best Overall: Flash Drive Motors
Flash Drive Motors

Get a Quote
Key Specs
  • Price Range: Not advertised
  • Optional Add-ons: Yes
  • Services: Conversions and parts
Why We Chose It: Flash Drive Motors has experience working on a wide range of cars and trucks.
Pros
  • Does restoration work and EV conversions
  • Innovative in adapting EV motors to transmissions
  • Conversions are reversible
Cons
  • A small operation
  • Website is basic
Flash Drive Motors falls in the middle between high-end shops catering to luxury customers and one-person DIYers working out of their garage. This is a full body shop with experience in the restoration of older vehicles and has converted a wide variety of cars and small trucks, from a rusted-out 1969 Karmann Ghia to a 1980 Subaruru Brat now packed with a Tesla battery and double the torque. Its many YouTube videos demonstrate the knowledge and care the company brings to each of its projects.
The enthusiastic team at Flash Drive Motors installs single- and dual-motor packages as well as all the necessary components to make them run. Every conversion is different, so rather than posting prices, Flash Drive fields informal inquiries via email, Facebook, and its website. The site promises to “offer a solution to fit your budget and performance goals.” Flash Drive Motors also sells EV parts and works with DIYers working on their own conversions.
Best Overall: Flash Drive Motors
Flash Drive Motors

Get a Quote
Key Specs
  • Price Range: Not advertised
  • Optional Add-ons: Yes
  • Services: Conversions and parts
Why We Chose It: Flash Drive Motors has experience working on a wide range of cars and trucks.
Pros
  • Does restoration work and EV conversions
  • Innovative in adapting EV motors to transmissions
  • Conversions are reversible
Cons
  • A small operation
  • Website is basic
Flash Drive Motors falls in the middle between high-end shops catering to luxury customers and one-person DIYers working out of their garage. This is a full body shop with experience in the restoration of older vehicles and has converted a wide variety of cars and small trucks, from a rusted-out 1969 Karmann Ghia to a 1980 Subaru Brat now packed with a Tesla battery and double the torque. Its many YouTube videos demonstrate the knowledge and care the company brings to each of its projects.
The enthusiastic team at Flash Drive Motors installs single- and dual-motor packages as well as all the necessary components to make them run. Every conversion is different, so rather than posting prices, Flash Drive fields informal inquiries via email, Facebook, and its website. The site promises to “offer a solution to fit your budget and performance goals.” Flash Drive Motors also sells EV parts and works with DIYers working on their own conversions.

I just sent this company my request for my 2002 Chevy S-10 ,
Crew Cab to see if they can do the conversion the cost and time needed. I will report back when I get this.
Thank You, Hank Weirauch

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No reply back from the first company to see if they could, would and price and time on my 2002 Chevy S-10 LS Club Cab.
So here is a little off line info I found for all of you:
Compare the Best EV Conversion Companies
CompanyPrice RangeOptional Add-onsServicesTypes of Vehicles
Flash Drive Motors
Best Overall
Not advertisedYesConversions and partsPre-2000 passenger and light-duty vehicles
Zero Labs
Best for Trucks, Vans, and 4x4s
Not advertisedYesConversions onlyPremium classic 4x4s, pickups, coupes, and muscle cars
Zelectric Motors
Best for German Cars
$68,000– $88,000YesConversions onlyVWs, Porsches, Karmann Ghias
Electric GT
Best for DIY Kits
$34,500– $65,000YesKits onlyMost makes and models
EV West
Best for DIY Parts
$8,000–$18,000 (for kits)YesKits and partsMost makes and models

please respond back to this thread if you know of any actual companies that will convert a S-10/S-15 vehicle at a affordable for us working type of people, and reasonable time period. Have a great day and lets talk about this.
thank you, Hank
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This just in: From FLASH DRIVE MOTORS rated " Best overall" on these type of conversions.
Hank,

This would be a pretty difficult conversion, but we would be up to discuss it. What adds complexity is the weight and lack of aerodynamics. Also, if this is an automatic transmission, that will also complicate the conversion process. My initial impression is this would be a Tesla swap that would replace the rear end with batteries in the front. This would give you the most range with the weight of the vehicle.

I would ballpark something like this around $75K.

James

This is the first pricing to convert my vehicle to electric 2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4X4 Crew Cab

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, electric F150 starts at 40k I believe.
Ok, what do you think I Bought the truck December 2021, now in April they want 75K to convert to electricity, NOT COST EFFECTIVE in my world...
I guess I will keep researching for awhile.. Have a nice day.
Thank you, HANK W.
20 year old Truck 2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4X4 Club Cab, nice ride but that's it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, what do you think I Bought the truck December 2021, now in April they want 75K to convert to electricity, NOT COST EFFECTIVE in my world...
I guess I will keep researching for awhile.. Have a nice day.
Thank you, HANK W.
20 year old Truck 2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4X4 Club Cab, nice ride but that's it.

• Silverado EV: Reservations

THE FIRST-EVER ALL-ELECTRIC Silverada starting price 40K.Hank, I will stick with Chevy. if I do this.

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
Yeah I'm not really a fan of any modern truck styling, but at least the Ford still looks somewhat normal aside from the gaudy lighting in front. A tribute to the late '80s/ early '90s Mercury perhaps lol.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,591 Posts
Not a fan of the front end of the Chevy - the overall design doesn't seem well integrated with the rest of the vehicle and I find the proportions of the different features of it mismatched. It still seems to retain some of the styling elements found on ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah but that’s ugly though..
Beauty in the eye of the behold. Hank
Yeah I'm not really a fan of any modern truck styling, but at least the Ford still looks somewhat normal aside from the gaudy lighting in front. A tribute to the late '80s/ early '90s Mercury perhaps lol.
I have had four S-10, one colorado and a Silvarado,, which I thought was too big. Guess I am a small truck person.
Hank

EV West has a quality selection of electric car parts, components, conversion kits, and charging station solutions for your Electric Vehicle or EV Conversion. From motors and controllers, to chargers, cables and complete electric car driveline conversions. We have a low price guarantee, and our technical staff can ensure the right products for your vehicle or conversion project.
I am researching this company now, awaiting an answer to an email sent yesterday. Lets see what they can do. I will keep everyone posted.
thank you, Hank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beauty in the eye of the behold. Hank

I have had four S-10, one colorado and a Silvarado,, which I thought was too big. Guess I am a small truck person.
Hank

EV West has a quality selection of electric car parts, components, conversion kits, and charging station solutions for your Electric Vehicle or EV Conversion. From motors and controllers, to chargers, cables and complete electric car driveline conversions. We have a low price guarantee, and our technical staff can ensure the right products for your vehicle or conversion project.
I am researching this company now, awaiting an answer to an email sent yesterday. Lets see what they can do. I will keep everyone posted. Thank you, Hank

The above you tube video "the True Cost of Converting from Gas To Electric" is an awesome video breaking down component per component of what you will need at the cost to convert your vehicle to electric from gas.
I been having trouble getting a link you can click on for this video. You may also open up You Tube and click on their search bar and type in the tittle in quotes or you may cut and paste this bold title. It gives you various qualities
and accessory vehicle parts for your conformt. Naturally the more you upgrade the higher the prices.. I plan on searching various websites and videos to give you more data to help you on this idea of converting.
The attached snapshots will mean something once you watch the video.
thank you, Hank

Handwriting Font Television set Display device Whiteboard
Handwriting Font Signage Writing Display device

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this just came in from EV WEST In Regards to possible converting my S-10 to Electric
:

Erik Elliott - EV West <[email protected]>
To:Hank Weirauch

Mon, Apr 25 at 10:01 AM

Unfortunately, we don't have any full kits specifically designed for newer vehicles (about 94 and up). We do provide universal kits, but they do not work directly with modern OBD systems. You would need significant work retrofitting an electric conversion system to work with your stock vehicle accessories and dashboard. You would need to either go through the entire system wire by wire and find ways to either fool the sensors or remove them. Otherwise, you would need to completely rewire the system, eliminating many of the stock accessories. While it is possible, most of our kits are for classic cars for this reason.

If you want to take it on, we have some universal kits that will potentially work with motor adapters, examples seen here: Motor Adapters, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits. These adapters only work with manual transmissions, as our conversions do not work with automatic ones. We also have an inline mount/coupler kit for dual motors that can then be used with this adapter, if it happens to fit your model of transmission and you have the room in the engine compartment. If we don't have an adapter designed for your specific transmission, your options would be to either select and obtain a transmission we have an adapter plate for, or to design and engineer ones yourself to fit your current manual transmission.

Universal systems are based on the performance you are looking to achieve and the overall battery range desired. Our entry level single motor kits start around $18k-22k including batteries and go up from there. Double motor around $24-28k and up. They range from 70-120 HP per motor and typically see around 100 miles per charge on a standard 30-35kWh pack, in smaller 2000-2500lb cars. These kits also require custom battery mount boxes, as every car and customer needs are different.

All of our kits also do not offer any step-by-step installation instructions. However, we do have wiring diagrams online that we recommend you follow, as well as offer technical support throughout your build. As far as wiring diagrams, check out our resources and support pages here: EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits. These are guidelines as each installation may be different. You might also see some of our videos on YouTube documenting some of our builds.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Erik Elliott

Sales/Customer Service
[email protected]
+1 760.591.3129
1788 La Costa Meadows Dr. #107
San Marcos, CA 92078
M-Th 08:00-18:00

www.evwest.com

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Automotive parking light
Reply Back:
Ok, erik, thank you for your time. I GUESS I HAVE THE WRONG VEHICLE THEN for a simple easy conversion. Have a good day.
Hank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to change the angle this thread as been going in the direction of converting to full electric. Now wanting to discuss if their are options for converting hybrid. The benefits to this are immensely. GIVE MY YOUR INPUT HERE?
thank you
Hank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to change the angle this thread as been going in the direction of converting to full electric. Now wanting to discuss if their are options for converting hybrid. The benefits to this are immensely. GIVE MY YOUR INPUT HERE?
thank you
Hank
Hybrid and Plug-In Electric Vehicle Conversions
Related Information
A conventional vehicle can be converted to a hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV), or an all-electric vehicle (EV). And an HEV can be converted to a PHEV or EV. Such conversions provide options beyond what is available from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). Certified installers can economically and reliably convert many heavy-duty vehicles to operate on electricity alone or to improve the efficiency of conventional vehicle designs.
Systems used for converting vehicles to HEVs and PHEVs require U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification. See the Conversions page for information on regulations and standards that apply to all alternative fuel and advanced vehicle conversions.

Vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 pounds, use more than 48 volts of electricity, and have a maximum speed greater than 25 miles per hour must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 305, Electric Powered Vehicles: Electrolyte Spillage and Electrical Shock Prevention.

Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Product.png

Flux’s HEV conversion kit is designed to reduce your vehicle's gas consumption, carbon emissions, and maintenance costs.

Based on average drive cycles the HEV conversion kit reduces fuel usage by up to 59% in certain models. Here at Flux Hybrids, we understand that every vehicle and person drives differently, so that is why we ask you to fill out our “get a quote” form below so that we can provide you with a personalized estimate on how much we can save you.

The HEV conversion kit is our lightest and most simple kit. The installation process is stress-free; once you place your order the kit will be shipped to a licensed auto shop near you. The conversion requires a full day for installation and safety tests, so you won’t be able to pick up your vehicle till the following day but after that, you will be able to enjoy the benefits of driving a more powerful, efficient, and reliable vehicle.
BROCHURE
GET A QUOTE
VIDEO ON DIY BUILDING A HYBRID VEHICLE
12:31minutes

Please let me know your thoughts on hybrid versus full electric. HANK

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much does it cost to convert a car to hybrid?
The hybrid is driven in the same way as a regular car: You get in, turn the key/push the button, put it in Drive and off you go. When you notice it getting low on gas, you fill it up. And you don’t need a special license either. Toyota hybrids can operate in gasoline engine or electric motor mode only.

How much does it cost to convert a car to hybrid?
How Much Does It Cost To Convert A Car To Hybrid? The cost of a hybrid conversion for the E-Drive system ranges from $10,000 to $12,000.Dec 3, 2021
Can I convert my gas car to hybrid?
It is possible to convert a gasoline-powered car to electric power for about half the cost of a new electric vehicle by using a hybrid system. The conversion kit and labor to install the motor will cost you up to $7,500, so you should choose a vehicle that is clean and green.Jan 22, 2022

Where can I get a hybrid conversion kit?

TECHNOLOGY
  • PRODUCT & MODELS
  • INDUSTRIES
  • ABOUT
  • GET A QUOTE
  • Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Wheel

CONSUMER Kits
    Our kits provide...
    • Improvement in fuel economy
    • Environmental footprint reduction
    • Short payback period
    • Data acquisition

These kits will bolt onto your vehicle and will give you the fuel economy of a hybrid or all-electric in the car you already own. By adding an electric motor and batteries, your car will be able to gather energy from the brakes or a charger and use it to accelerate efficiently. Additionally, the electric motor will significantly increase your car’s acceleration.

Our technology also allows for vehicle data acquisition, a powerful tool for optimizations. The users driving data will be gathered and compared through machine learning software to provide the user suggestions on how to operate the vehicle in the most efficient yet realist way to save money by consuming less gas and wear and tear on the vehicle.

https://www.fluxhybrids.com/HEV
  • https://www.fluxhybrids.com/HEV
  • I just submitted a request to this company for an estimate to convert my 2002 S-10 to a hybrid conversion. I will give you all whatever and whenever i receive an answer from this company I m hoping it is somewhere close to $12K. Have a good night, good weekend, BeSafe WORK SAFE. Please reply and let me know where you are at with this subject?
    colorado high country
    thank you, Hank Weirauch
  • Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Automotive parking light
    Plant Sky Cloud Car Vehicle
    Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Tree
    Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 58 Posts