S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have gotten an unexpected income of around $1,500 and i need some advice for a good system. I want to replace the two dash speakers with good highs, my doors i just bought some cheap speakers that i may stay with if not i need 2 new highs for the doors. Then in the back i want to get a custom box with 3 12" speakers and 1 or 2 amps built into the back of the truck. Can someone reccomend some good names and if i need 2 amps ect? I know i have to get an equilzer to blance htings out with highs in the fornt and lows in th back. But anways please any advice would be helpful!!

·
Flippin a Blazer hurts
74 Posts
I dunno about everything/everyone else, I LOVE my Boston Pro 6.53's! They retail for around $650 but I got mine on ebay for $500 SHIPPED.....They are EXCELLENT Mids AND Highs! I've got the woofer in the doors, and the mids and highs in the stock dash pods.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you payed 500 dollars for all 4? My mom has boston's in her car and they are awesome. What exactly did u order and where from? i might go with those for the doors and dash.

·
1st Gen Member
215 Posts
So you you've got a head unit already? What kind/model?

It's going to be tough to get a whole system for $1500. You'll probably need to stick to mid-scale brands, and the budget models of "premium" brands in some places.

I reccommend Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.5s. I have them, and they sound great. They handle gobs of power too. Should cost about 350, and that should cover your mids-highs. I would avoid Boston Rally 6.5 components, because I blew two sets. Put the woofer in the door, and the tweeter near it. Dash speakers aren't necessary, but I have Boston Acoustics 4x6 co-axials, about 75 bucks. I run those off the deck, and attentuated, just to raise the sound stage a bit.

For subwoofers, Get something that sounds good with the power you can afford to give them. Awesome subs with a Jensen 400w (yeah-right) amp is going to dissapoint. The box design is also critical, and you have to decide if your going ported, sealed, or bandpass. I like sealed best, because I like it tight and accurate. Not boomy. Sealed boxes are generally smaller too. Your tastes, your choice. If I was getting 3 12s on your budget I would get something in a mid-level range. Like JL 12W0s. Quality brand, budget model. You'll need to talk to the sound shop about what impedence to get, because it has to match your amplifiers abilities.

Amps are going to make or break it. You'll probably need 600W RMS minimum to make the 12s pound. I have 150W per channel going to my mids-highs (Boston 6.5s). Good amps are not cheap. If you need to skimp on an amp, then skimp on th sub amp, because mids-highs sound so much better with a clean powerful amp.

Don't forget, wiring. Get some good wiring stuff now, and you won't have to upgrade later. It will pay off in the end. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for all the wiring and wiringaccessories you will need.

Install, do it yourself, and save big bucks. I did it with help from friends. A professional super-trick custom install is gonna be $$$, but a simpler, plainer install might not be out of reach in your budget.

·
Flippin a Blazer hurts
74 Posts
Nates93sTEN said:
Don't forget, wiring. Get some good wiring stuff now, and you won't have to upgrade later. It will pay off in the end. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for all the wiring and wiringaccessories you will need.

EXACTLY! I spent over $350 on my wiring.....I "think" 0-gauge and 3 sets of RCA's may have had something to do with that.:uhoh: :drinkhaha

·
Orion HCCA Pimp
10 Posts
For 3 subs make sure you plan ahead accordingly, you'll either need 3 6-ohm subs wired in series-parallel to get a 4-ohm load or 3 12-ohm subs wired in parallel to get that same 4-ohm load. Of course if you get a really nice sub amp that's stable down to 1-ohm just get the 6-ohm's and wire in parallel. The only 6-ohm ones that pop to my mind at the moment are JL W6 brand, and they're expensive if I remember correctly (probably 225ish a sub? Anyone know?)

I got 2 Orion XTR DVC 12s with ~200w rms going into each of them right now and they pound EXTREMELY nicely. Wired for 2-ohm stereo to my mtx thunder 2160 for now, although I did manage to send it into protection mode tonight (about 45 minutes of heavy bass non-stop :))

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is easy. :D

Rockford Fosgate Punch Power bd1000.1 $500
Rockford Fosgate Punch Power 150.1 $150
Rockford Fosgate Punch HE RFP3812 3 x $100 (Get 2 8 ohm and one 4 ohm.)
Rockford Fosgate FNP2614U (6.5" Component Set) $130

All top notch **** for under $1100. That leave you pleanty of money for a box, cap? and wiring.

All of this can be had at www.sounddomain.com and does include a warranty.

****, I wish I had $1500 to drop. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other questions feel free to shoot me an email.

I made a custom piece to hold my tweeters in the dash and put the mids in the doors. Sounds great IMO. I also put brown bread on the doors which helped a ton. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok i finally went down there and right now i have the boston acoutics 6.5" speakers in the doors and the two tweeters in the dash in replace of the old 4x6's with a 200 watt pioneer amp. i paid $700.56 total it sounds aiight right now but i have to get back in and get a new head unit hooked up to the amp to unlock the power that is being held back..I wasnt too excited when i hopped in the truck and heard what i did for 700 bucks but i guess the new radio will make a hell of a difference over stock? thats what i hear.. lemme know what yall think!.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bass

Tell me what else you need, e-mail me if you want to. For that 1500, I could have had you going def in no time at all, lol

·
Ranger Member
41 Posts
sLOW said:
Any other questions feel free to shoot me an email.

I made a custom piece to hold my tweeters in the dash and put the mids in the doors. Sounds great IMO. I also put brown bread on the doors which helped a ton. :)

Oh god,he`s got the RF syndrome to. [email protected] sLOW,whats happenin to ya buddy ????:D :bash:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts