S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Belgian User
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2.8V6 Tbi.

It idles bad ( after I changed the sparkplugs because it didn't idle at all anymore ) , can't seem to find leaks.

It also smokes when I accelerate or even when it's iddling. It's not oil and / or blue smoke. Really looks like fuel that doesn't get burned. Ok I might change the sparkplugwires to be sure but I don't think that's the problem. My Blazer can also run on propane and it does not seem to have problems when it does run on that.

So I do think somethings wrong with the fuel supply somehow. Any suggestions ?

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
Does it run on Propane?

·
Belgian User
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, seems to have no problems in that case. But I want the original fuel-system to be ok, just in case I run out of propane before I reach a gas-station where they sell it.

As soon as I switch to propane ( and original fuel-supply get's switched off ), rpm goes up and it's running fine.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
wild ass guess, timing.
Propane has a higher octane and could run okay with advanced timing. Gas, well it would cough and sputter a bit if it was too advanced.

Like I said, WAG

good luck
mark

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm curious as I don't know the technical specifics of the system for propane in conjunction with gas, but is there a different computer and injector system for that, or does the propane use the same ecm and injectors?

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
sorry, I don't know. I am guessing at the timing thing too.

·
Belgian User
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the idle, maybe one degree off. That's not going to be the problem I guess.

About running on propane, it uses the same ECM. All what happens is that fuel supply is cut off and propane is injected before the throttle body.

I am starting to think I have a melted or clogged cat ? Melted because running on propane is a lot hotter. It's throwing also two codes: to rich and to lean mixture ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SimonV
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing