S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
This User Is A Fake
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get tired of hearing some people bashing the 4.3's ability to make so much as 15's stock. I've heard in several threads "I'm not willing to dump $6K into that motor just to run 14's" My truck has bolt-on's and it runs 14's.

I mean, come on guys, what are you doing, racing at 7000 feet above sea level? With major wheel spin/hop and 600 RPM launch?

Seriously, yes SERIOUSLY my friend ran a freakin' 15.2 @ 88 MPH in her BONE STOCK 95 SS! 2000K launch with very little if ANY tire spin.

Seeing as how my truck when it was stock only weighed about 100 lbs more than hers, and had 15 HP less, which equals .2 tenths less, then I see no reason on God's green earth why my truck wouldn't have ran 15.5 or 15.6 stock.

Her truck was rated at 195 HP and 260 TQ, no reason in this world why it wouldn't run low 15's. If I would've hooked her up with ET Streets, she would've seen better times. I'm not kidding ether, I've seen a stock 2001 Eclipse GT run 15.0, and they are only around 200 HP and 200 TQ. Yet I spanked his GT all day long in my S10 with only a K&N filter and Muffler.

I mean, I hear about stock S10's on here running high 16's and low 17's with a 96-Up 4.3. Serious wheel spin anyone? Racing in the mountains or something?

A guy on here in a Colorado thread claimed he ran 15.7 in his bone stock Blazer 5spd, BUT people where BASHING him calling him a liar and so forth. WTF? Perhaps unlike the people that were bashing him, he probably ran at sea level and actually knew how to drive.

Yes, I'll admit the 4.3 is ancient by today's standard and we have smaller motors these days with way more power, but then again, those motors run mid 14's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
hmm, Im going to the strip in a few weeks, I am taking my Spec V up, but maybe i'll have my GF bring the s-10 up so I can see what I can get with it....

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
Temp/ track conditions, the driver, truck all have an affect on the time.
You have regular cab 2wd. Some people have xcabs, 4x4 etc

the 92-95 cpi motors have not only have a little more power but a slightly wider power band (peak torque was around 3600 or 3800rpm if I remember right), so that time doesn't seem to far fetched.

I had some bad traction issues when I went. pulled off a 17.1 at 79...with a 2.45 60'.... I had a run or 2 with a faster MPH, i think 80 or 81 but had a slower ET on those passes, was probably because of shifting at a different RPM.

Then again its a 4x4 blazer, has over 100k on it, & what sounds like a rattling precat.

Could be you have a factory freak also

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i did a 15.9 at Cecil Ga, they run some FAST cars there so it was prepped nice...reg cab short bed modded and i had 255 tires...and yeah slips or stfu

·
This User Is A Fake
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Could be you have a factory freak also
So many doubters.....

Here's a truck with only bolt ons, 4.10s and 3200 stall running 14.3 on stickies. TRUST ME, these times are VERY believable.

http://www.geocities.com/kens97ss/

Tony that helped out Ken with that truck, had a 98 SS with all the same mods, except for a 4.10. He had stock 3.42 and ran 14.6-14.7.

Tony use to be a consistent member on this board.

Both of these trucks, unlike mine, did NOT have a custom tune or dyno tune, and STILL had torque management. Getting that shit fixed is good for +.2 tenths on average.

Both Ken and Tony's trucks were also run at Sea Level with ET Street Slicks. Once again, VERY believeable times.

EDIT: No way my truck is a factory freak!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 94 SS (4.3 CPI 195hp auto) and I have run a best of [email protected]. (no wheelspin)
My mods are basically:
LS1 E-fans
rebuilt engine 15,000 miles ago
9.25:1 CR pistons
260AHR cam from Comp Cams with matching valvesprings
3 angle valve job
Edelbrock TES headers, Edelbrock exhaust
intake with headlight removed
B&M 2000rpm stall converter
3.73 gears, Zexel posi
Caltrac traction bars
275/50/15 MT street radials

I find it hard to believe a bone stock s-10 running a 15.0 and even harder to believe one running mid 14's. It would take 250+hp to run a mid 14. S-10s dont make 250hp. A modded 4.3 can easily run 14s but a stock s-10 is not going to see 14's.

·
I turn.
2,553 Posts
i don't really consider gears, a high stall converter and slicks "bolt-ons". in that case a supercharger is a "bolt-on". most people running 16's are extended cabs with open diffs and intake/exhaust that add 10hp at the most. read s10stocker's thread about running a 12.8. gears, traction, and experience go a long way (i have none of those).

·
Registered
47 Posts
when stock my 01 ec with auto ran a 16.1 and best 15.9 at moroso in FL, it also depends on tranny and driver i have seen manuals stock run a 15.7 but thats about it, i wouldnt bitch about the power because i was running 25570r15 and i would spin upto about 15mph if launching at about 1500rpm, now that i have some nice bolt ons and programming to accomidate them i dont know what i will run but i also have to fix the traction issue. for a truck i think thats freaking good

·
Street Truck Builder
747 Posts
I ran my 2002 s-10 x-cab w/ 4.3 at national Trails for the fun of it and pulled a 16.2. Launches good as long as your not pushing more that 2000 on take-off. :) I'm happy with that, Anyways, if you wanted a better track time you should have bought a car/truck to run with and stop the bashing of the s-10 community and it's drivers. Not everyone is about beating the hell out of their ride. IMO as always. Now quit your bitchin and get back in the Kitchen! :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've yet to run 1/4 mile but I ran a best of 10.67 in the 1/8th stock. Engine was completely stock, only had a cat-back exhaust, spare tire still on it, 1/4 tank, automatic trans., stock goodyear tires that come on the Xtreme ext. cab, 2.2 60 ft(good as I'm ever going to get on stock tread), good prepped track, temperature was fairly cool as it was night outside, and the truck couldn't spin tires if I tried to so thats no excuse. I think 10.67 in the 1/8th would put me at like mid to high 16's in the 1/4. I know a lot of people here do better than a 10.6, but I'm probably a lot heavier than most stock trucks as well. If you ran a 15.2 on the stock truck hey good for you, it's just most of us never see those times stock. That's probably why people call others liars and all that.

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
So many doubters.....

Here's a truck with only bolt ons, 4.10s and 3200 stall running 14.3 on stickies. TRUST ME, these times are VERY believable.

http://www.geocities.com/kens97ss/

Tony that helped out Ken with that truck, had a 98 SS with all the same mods, except for a 4.10. He had stock 3.42 and ran 14.6-14.7.

Tony use to be a consistent member on this board.

Both of these trucks, unlike mine, did NOT have a custom tune or dyno tune, and STILL had torque management. Getting that shit fixed is good for +.2 tenths on average.

Both Ken and Tony's trucks were also run at Sea Level with ET Street Slicks. Once again, VERY believeable times.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, what the hell, I guess the consistent results of the thousands of other people who own & have run these trucks dont mean anything. Why don't you go through the 17 pages of discussion about it in the the "Post Your 1/4 Times Here!" thread in the racing section.

14.6 with bolt ons & at 3.42 gears.... .... yeah right. What was the MPH? wheres the timeslip or video..

There are people on here with A LOT more done to their trucks that just "bolt ons" & are only running in the mid to low 14s.

·
Registered
262 Posts
14.3 thats pretty impressive, but I can see why people don't believe you either. You're talking about your truck which basically has no more than a little over 200 hp with the mods you got, running side by side with a V8 Mustang GT. You can understand why people aren't going to believe that. I can see though that you pretty much lightened the truck up as much as possible. No tailgate, no tonneau cover or anything like that, no spare tire, a headlight taken out so you get as much air possible to that performance intake, running on empty, and street slicks. That certainly helps a lot.

·
bling bling like WHOA
646 Posts
I really don't understand the infatuation people have with running these trucks at the track and bragging about their times. These are not race cars by any stretch of the imagination, don't act like it is. Running it just to see what you got is fine, but to brag...

Things these trucks are good for, hauling shit, cruising, and looking good.

Posting about how fast your truck is just for the sake of doing it.... it's like winning the Special Olympics.

oh, and lol at the cookies!

·
This User Is A Fake
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 94 SS (4.3 CPI 195hp auto) and I have run a best of [email protected]. (no wheelspin)
My mods are basically:
LS1 E-fans
rebuilt engine 15,000 miles ago
9.25:1 CR pistons
260AHR cam from Comp Cams with matching valvesprings
3 angle valve job
Edelbrock TES headers, Edelbrock exhaust
intake with headlight removed
B&M 2000rpm stall converter
3.73 gears, Zexel posi
Caltrac traction bars
275/50/15 MT street radials

I find it hard to believe a bone stock s-10 running a 15.0 and even harder to believe one running mid 14's. It would take 250+hp to run a mid 14. S-10s dont make 250hp. A modded 4.3 can easily run 14s but a stock s-10 is not going to see 14's.
Perhaps your running at a high elevation.

Your time should be MUCH better than that!

·
This User Is A Fake
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
14.3 thats pretty impressive, but I can see why people don't believe you either. You're talking about your truck which basically has no more than a little over 200 hp with the mods you got, running side by side with a V8 Mustang GT. You can understand why people aren't going to believe that. I can see though that you pretty much lightened the truck up as much as possible. No tailgate, no tonneau cover or anything like that, no spare tire, a headlight taken out so you get as much air possible to that performance intake, running on empty, and street slicks. That certainly helps a lot.

I hope your talking 200 HP at the tires.....

Because I've seen many mod's gain more than what guy's on here claim...

I've seen a 10.4 HP gain with just a Flowmaster muffler.

Yet, I've seen a set of March Underdrive Pulleys, gain only 3 RWHP.

My custom tune netted me 16 RWHP.

Al at Wynjammer reported a gain of 12 RWHP with just a Efan.

And he also reported 5 RWHP with JBA Headers.

A snorkel removed on my airbox with a K&N filter gave me 7 RWHP. Funny thing is, after the MAF learned it, I was only getting 2 RWHP. Guaranteed the snorkel was what gave me the 2RWHP. But shit, every bit counts.

My ET's decreased .3 tenths with 3.73's.

If I ran some stickies I would probably get a tenth as well.

Brian at PCMforLess has seen 7-9 RWHP with 1.6 rockers.

And no, 14.3 IS NOT running side-by-side with a pre-2005 GT Mustang. Those babies scream at high 13's all day long bone stock down here at Rockingham Dragway North Carolina. SEA LEVEL. Not in high elevation where you guys see those cars run high 14's.

I've drove my buddies stock 98 S10 4.3, and its a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my truck and his. He was blew away after driving mine.

Most people say "BS" to bolt-ons. But those are the people who buy 1 at a time, and see no difference on the "butt-dyno". The human body usually can't see a difference of even as much as 15 HP in most cases anyway. And those are the same guys who don't realise that just 7 RWHP can knock off 1 tenth of your ET's.

EDIT: I don't have a scanner for my timeslip of 14.77. But it shouldn't matter, mod your truck, run it at sea level, and learn how to launch.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
33 Participants
WittyManOfStyle
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing