S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever had to replace a u-joint on their truck? my front one is going and i was just wondering how hard it is to replace it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well they have to be done right or you'll have a vibration.
The best way is to use a Balljoint press or a U-joint press, same thing really.
There are 3 type of joints, one with external clips, one with internal clips and the factory injected plastic ring style.
Most factory installed u-joints are held in with a plastic compound that is injected into a groove cut in the joint/shaft. Some people remove this with a torch by lightly heating the area around the plastic ring until the plastic oozes out the injection hole, before pressing the joint out. Be careful if you do this because the molten plastic will sometimes pop and splatter on you resulting in burns been there, done that a million times.
Other people just press the joint out severing the plastic ring in the process. I prefer this method, but you have to be very careful not to bend the yoke ends.

Try to stay away from using a hammer (swingpress) because usually the driveshaft looses the battle, and the hammer wins. :bash:

When you install the new joint be careful not to lose any needle bearings.
The new joint should be held in with "C" clips instead of the plastic ring.
Position the grease fitting (if it has one) pointing toward the middle of the driveshaft so you can grease it later. Make sure it gets greased every oil change.

I guess thats about it, hope that helps.

K

·
0 Posts
I just did my u-joints in my truck and it was a ***** with a hammer and sockets...HE HE.....but yea..it is easier for the shade tree.. to take and heat the old joint until the teflon oozes out....the take a big socket (bigger than the bearing cap) and hit the socket several time (BUT NOT TOO HARD) The cap should then gradually come up and then twist out with pliers...then reapeat on all other bearing caps....getting the new bearing caps on is a whole new ball game there. you have to have a vise or a big c-clamp...that 2 opposing caps and get them centered in the joint, then take a press witht he vise unitll you can press no more. the to seat them fully take a socket about the size of the cap and tap the cap until dezired depth is achieved. Thats about it,, anymore questions, let me know

·
Registered
152 Posts
A vise helps

We always used a vise & some sockets, Put one larger than the cap on one side (catcher) and one just a little smaller on the other side (pusher) and slowly close the vise to push one side almost out, finish it w/ channel locs. Then place a small socket against the cross and push the other side out. Be careful putting the new joint back in. Keep a clean rag spread out around the vise and be on the lookout for any needles that fall out. You can put the needle back in after cleaning it, DON'T loose any needles or you are screwed, I have seen real shadetree men re use a needle from the old joint when they were not careful enough but I don't recommend doing this! The pin press is worth the investment if you plan on doing several joints as it eliminates the socket ballet!:idea:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts