S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the title you see I’m starting my first ls build which is an iron block 5.3 with 90,000 miles on it and it’s going in my 88 s10

1939206E-1C59-442D-A3B8-25632899F850.jpeg

Truck was a pretty nice steal it has a 2.8l with 100,000mi with a 700r4 tranny, no rust anywhere on the truck, no dents or scratches except one small dent on the bed along the top you can kind of see it in the pic but interior is also in great condition except the dash has small cracks but other than that she’s perfect, and came with the steel cowl hood. The day I got it I took it and washed it off and did a rattle can paint job and this is how it came out

422762C3-E482-412B-BFF3-0D8499591669.jpeg

799DB54F-F88B-4CEC-8A4D-71B2E512D00F.jpeg

not the complete best but she’ll do for now.

Now for the engine it’s a complete Low Mile Iron Block 5.3
my plans were to carb it and run a small shot of nitrous but I thought about it and decided to keep it FI and boost it looking for around 500-550 rwhp with a gt45
0679A03D-29E3-4C05-B8D6-DD3C95AF1A16.jpeg

tore it down to bare block and checked all my clearances and everything checked out perfect engine came with
-706 Heads swapped for 862’s
  • TrickFlow Beehive Springs rated for .610 lift IIRC
  • LS7 Lifters
  • BTR Hardened Pushrods 7.400 Length
  • BTR LS9 Head Gaskets
  • Elgin Sloppy Stage 2 Camshaft
  • Gapped Rings for Boost
  • New KING Rod, Crank, and Cam Bearings
  • Mellings Stock Replacement M295 Oil Pump

i didn’t get to take any pictures of the tear down and rebuild process but here’s the finished product.
DCBD564A-43C2-4AD9-AAF4-2ECEABD03528.jpeg

B47DF27B-C55D-4E84-A65F-720C75C7FF37.jpeg

My last few steps are getting a wiring harness this engine will be boosted I will be starting off with the basic eBay gt45 so I really don’t want to run the stock ecu. I was thinking MS3 Pro or Holley Terminator X or should I go with the CPW wiring harness I would like to be able to tune. what would be the pros and cons or differences between them I have no sense of knowledge when it comings to wiring harnesses. will the stock truck accessory bracket fit or do I need the fbody bracket?
Would the stock Ls fan on the water pump be sufficient enough for cooling and dual electric fans? Sorry for the essay I wrote but any and all help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Double post...
Yessir, let’s get one locked down

ls build which is an iron block 5.3 with 90,000 miles on it and it’s going in my 88 s10
awesome, you will love it

eBay gt45 so I really don’t want to run the stock ecu.
nothing wrong with stock ECU at that low of a power level—why waste money on a sloppy build

will the stock truck accessory bracket fit or do I need the fbody bracket?
everything from the truck will fit. Even the AC compressor

Would the stock Ls fan on the water pump be sufficient enough for cooling and dual electric fans?
why would you want to use a mechanical fan? But to answer your question yes, the mechanical fan will work, but spinning at 7200 rpms, you don’t want a mechanical fan.

For S10s, a late 80s corvette radiator from autozone is like $130 and it fits, and works in Arizona heat. Add dual the intrepid or taurus E fan and your set.

Big thing I didn’t see you mention is injectors. You will need injectors. And a good fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

nothing wrong with stock ECU at that low of a power level—why waste money on a sloppy build

why would you want to use a mechanical fan? But to answer your question yes, the mechanical fan will work, but spinning at 7200 rpms, you don’t want a mechanical fan.

For S10s, a late 80s corvette radiator from autozone is like $130 and it fits, and works in Arizona heat. Add dual the intrepid or taurus E fan and your set.

Big thing I didn’t see you mention is injectors. You will need injectors. And a good fuel pump.
Thanks for the input guys this is gonna be the locked down thread lol but for injectors I had the stock truck injectors decapped injectors I will be upgrading to snake eaters down the road but I wanted to run e85 but with my location the nearest E85 pump is just under an hour away from me so for I fuel pump I was looking at the Walbro 450 or twin 255’s in the tank I wanted to run an after market ecu for tuning a boosted application both of those kits come with every to tune except the AFR wide bands IIRC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That’s what I figured about the stock fan I’ve yet to see an intrepid in the local yard was is kinda odd but the Taurus are bountiful so thanks for that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.