S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has done this and if I can just swap my intake and tarb and fuel system over or it is going to be a hassle. I had a carb morot but found a tbi motor and figured it would be easy to swap over but I wanted any advice if there is anyone out there that has done this

·
Registered
182 Posts
if they are both 2.8's the intakes will work fine, but the tbi motor may not have a removable block-off plate where you would usually install the mechanical fuel pump. you can use a low psi electronic in-line fuel pump though too.

I would upgrade your electrical system to the TBI, it is much more reliable, I've heard it has a better torque curve, more overall power and performance, and it adjusts itself, unlike carbs...

I just swapped my carb out for a TBI, I got the intake, TBI, computer, and wiring harness, plus a bunch of the sensors, for about $150... the truck runs, now all I gotta do is wire my fuel pump into the electrical system permanently (for testing I just put the wires to the battery terminal!) and I'll be done.

I can tell already that it has a better crisper throttle response, and makes the front of the truck torque when I rev in neutral, something my carb would never do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok you said that you did it for about 150 bucks, the only problem is that i dont have the wiring harness so can i use my stock harness or do i need the harness for the tbi and where can i find one

·
Registered
182 Posts
I searched on craigslist.org for my parts, and got em all at once... I would search there for your wiring harness, or go to a junk yard, you need the fusebox, and the wires that go to the sensors (you can cut the wiring blocks that go to the headlights, etc...) and into the foot compartment on the other side of the motor.

I spent a night going through the engine wiring diagram and cutting out wires that were unnecessary from my harness, using a multi-meter as an aid. it was a long process, but minimized wires that I had to deal with in the engine bay.

you have the new tbi motor right, so you should have some of the sensors still in place... on the left side (passenger) of the block there is the knock sensor, one wire to the computer, grounds to the block, on the right (drivers) side there is the oil pressure sender/switch, three wires in and out for the fuel pump oil pressure cutoff, one to the oil gauge/light, grounds to the block.

the main part of the harness that would help the most is the rubber grommet that goes through the firewall into the passenger foot compartment, because you can mount the computer under the glovebox.

the rest of the wiring harness could be spliced together easily with the right molded sensor connectors eliminating the second fusebox, but you need to make sure to add a fuse for the constant power, 15 Amp ECM B (tap off battery or power splice box already mounted above engine on firewall) and 10 Amp ECM 1 (hot in run and start, tap from fat pink wire going to ignition coil.) and the 10 Amp crank circuit (hot when cranking, tap into starter solenoid wire, not starter hot wire, starter solenoid wire)

autozone.com has a lot of wiring diagrams and stuff to help us out

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/12/41/a3/0900823d801241a3/repairInfoPages.htm

that'll take you to the s10 pickups from 82-93 help info.

I used a system from a 93 s10, but they are all pretty much the same with a few modifications with the emissions (california vs federal) mainly the type of EGR valve used.

I used my old fuel tank and got new rubber for the in between steel sections, and wired a new high-quality Carter fuel pump for TBI from summit

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRT-P5001&view=32&N=700+400415+4294836965

From all of my research I had the best overall feelings about this pump, and I did a lot of research, I don't want to get stuck anywhere (happened once with my old carb, I was in the middle of the desert)

I wired that in to the circuit that comes from the fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch.

If you have cruise control then you will have a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) you need to wire the signal wire from the sensor buffer (near parking brake release) there are three wires, 12+, ground, and signal. wire the signal to the computer for highway fine-tuning of fuel mixture.

wire in the check engine light (if you have one already) there is a space in your dash for one if you don't have one already.

I would be glad to help with as much as I can, keep the questions rollin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts