S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it's to the point where i want a subtantially more power, and i have come to the conclusion that i want to go with one BIG turbo. My set-back is that i am unsure as where to start, i don't know the codes for any big turbos. This is going to be on a budget, so more than likely the turbo will be pulled out of a junkyard or something and rebuilt. i have a 94 4.3 tbi and want much more power. any and all help will be greatly appreciated

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
Um......um....let me think...still thinkin....I got it, I know what you should do.....spray it!

Well now thats out of the way. have fun making a turbo work isn't going to be super easy. The best way to do it is to do some research and figure out how much power you want and pick out a good turbo. I don't know about the whole junkyard turbo thing. People making big power are not usually doing it with 14b's on t.b.i. 4.3l's. Just what I see though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't really want to spray it all that much. Would a turbocharger off a big diesal truck work??? im looking to get around 250-300hp ::crosses fingers:: i know im going to have to build the engine up as well, and it will have to be rebuilt, i dunno, i was also thinking of just driving this enging into the ground and putting a turbo v8 in it instead of going through the hastle of rebuilding, and custom fabricating shiznit. There were turbo v8's in stock cars right? early 90's??? 80's????

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
It would be great to Put a huge hairdryer on your truck, but it would be more economical and easy to slide in, oh lets say a nice 383ci one built up mildly should put you into the 350-400hp category with only but a few thousand out of your wallet. Im all for the boost but if you want budget power go with Nitrous or more cubic inches.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
My buddy has a 81? trans am turbo. I think it has a 4.6L V8 turbo but its slower than my truck.

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
694 Posts
A BIG turbo is for a BIG motor that doesn't care how long it takes to spool up. Like a simi or bull doser. That's y when 1 isn't enough peeps go to 2 smaller ones. more CFM & quick spool up.

But even just 1 is way more stuff to fool with than 1 SC.

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
a turbo would be badass but honestly a v-8 swap would prolly be cheaper and yield higher HP curves. If for some reason you do go the turbo route you could always slap on a T51r from greddy...although that would ruin your whole "budget" idea....

·
Registered
940 Posts
no wastegate means it will build boost to ur redline, some of those guys are running insane amounts of boost, on a stock 4.3 you can kiss it goodbye with that much boost. a s/c would be teh easiest thing to put on ur truck a turbo takes alot more work and $$, i know i ve done both, if you want the most h.p. for the least $$ do a v8 swapbeing your a 94 you can put a lt1 or lt4 motor in and still be legal.,

·
Vortec 350 s10
840 Posts
Diesel turbos are made to spool extremely early..like around 1500rpm or so...and are only good for a few pounds (around 6psi) of boost...after that they are just blowing alot of hot air, and you could overspool the turbo and cause it to go into many little pieces. You need something that will spool up around 25-3k rpms...Turboing is not cheap, but you gotta love boost. Thats why I love my supra :D

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Diesel turbos spool up quickly on DIESELS... 12.7 litre inline 6's (Quite a bit more displacement huh?).. most diesels max RPM is around 2500RPM..

And they see about 20-30PSI on average.. unless you're pulling an 80,000 pound trailer up a hill, and water injection .. you might see 50psi..

And most of the semis have Air to Air intercoolers..

Only a few I've seen have none..

One especially had both a blower and a turbocharger, non-intercooled.. hell it was fast..

I work at a diesel place..

·
zippy
733 Posts
i didn't assume anyone would take that seriously. a turbo off of one of them would be too large even with a wastgate and without one would mearly lift the heads off the block from slightly high cylinder pressure because of the boost.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
SmallBlock_98_S10 said:
Those cars had a piece of shit 301.... potentially the worst motor GM ever made.
Sorry but this was not a 301CI (5.0L) it was either a 4.6 or 4.8

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Okie dokie.. umm well Junkyard turbos will do you just fine.. BUT your going to have to do a Twin turbo setup.. which honestly has a lot of benefits, and they perform very well.. two small T3's off of some older saab 900 turbos.. on a 4.3 would put out close to 300hp if not 300+ at around 8-10 psi.. and you can most likly run 8-10 psi on your stock motor assuming you have proper fuel managment.. hrmm a v8 swap being cheaper??? if you can weld.. and fabricate... then a turbo setup will probably be a lot cheaper. since your 350 will probably cost your $1200+ .. and you can do a twin turbo setup with properfuel. and intercooler for about $1000... as far ast he hp gains. a built 350 yes.. it will produce more.. but who can say they have a TT v6 s-10 :p if you want more info on turboing stuff and building manifolds and to get some ideas. let me know.. just message me on aim JLAUDIO29

·
Registered
80 Posts
RedGT said:
Sorry but this was not a 301CI (5.0L) it was either a 4.6 or 4.8
Not to hijack this dude's post or anything, but the only available motor that was turbocharged in a 1981 Trans Am from the factory is the 4.9 301ci v-8. And they were pieces of shit. Period. End of story.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
ok, my mistake I thought you were talking about the 5.0l, yeah 4.9 sounds like it might be right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts