S-10 Forum banner

turbo???

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  goatpounder 
#1 ·
is there any turbo out there that i could somehow hook up to my 94 2.2? my friend told me he is trying to find a turbo out of a deisel and hook it up to his dakota. think i could find something for my truck? :confused:

#2 ·
The turbo isn't the real problem its the manifold. Down here a lot of the import shops will fabricate a turbo onto my truck but the price is just too high. $3500-$4500.
Just check local shops(import ones they have the experience).
Check out www.turbocity.com they have alot of info. I've done a huge amount of research on this.
Cheapest way to go is to buy the parts seperate and have a muffler shop fabraicate the connecting pipes. The hard part is finding a fabrication of the intake mainfold.
Doing this it should only cost $1500-$2500 depending on turbo and options.:thumbup:

#9 · (Edited)
Turbo S10 Xtreme said:
The turbo isn't the real problem its the manifold. Down here a lot of the import shops will fabricate a turbo onto my truck but the price is just too high. $3500-$4500.
Just check local shops(import ones they have the experience).
Check out www.turbocity.com they have alot of info. I've done a huge amount of research on this.
Cheapest way to go is to buy the parts seperate and have a muffler shop fabraicate the connecting pipes. The hard part is finding a fabrication of the intake mainfold.
Doing this it should only cost $1500-$2500 depending on turbo and options.:thumbup:
Hmmm... I have a couple of issues here. First is the cost of a turbo manifold. You can get stainless tubular turbo headers for a V8 built from a specialty manufacurer for under $1500. A simple log style manifold would easily run under a grand. There's no reason in the world that for a four cylinder application couldn't get one built for the same price.

Building a turbo system isn't an easy affair, and it isn't something a beginner should EVER take on. Remember that you're going to be fabricating intake and exhaust plumbing and all the bracketry, as well as wastegate and blowoff valve mounting. And that's the easy part. You'll also be doing any custome ECU programming, pulling timing in relation to boost if you aren't using an FMU, and if you are using an FMU you'll be fabricating the fuel system. Now realize that the truck will probably be down for anywhere from two months to a year while you fabricate everything and you can see why this is no beginner's project.

You're sailing in uncharted waters by trying to fabricate a turbo system. Leave it to the experts and either buy a prefabbed kit or throw the bottle on it. IMO the downtime alone would make it not worth doing.

BTW- There's no need for an aftermarktet intake manifold. The stock one will work.

-Chris

#10 ·
I have a turbo kit in the works for my 01' 2.2 extreme reg. cab and trust me there's a LOT of stuff to worry about. First of all if yur planning to go through with it you might as well do it right cuz there's no point in wasting all that time to do a half ass job. I have a Garrett AIResearch T-3(turbo), massive intercooler,Fuel rail, and a prototype of my log style turbo header. Now the other part is the fun part. You can't just slap a turbo in and go run 10's. The ignition,ECU,and fuel system are the most important and by far the most expensive. MSD iginition makes a unit that would work for the 2.2 but with a price tag of around $320 plus a $50 tach adapter you can see where things start to get pricy. Brand new vortech(as in the supercharger company) FMU will run you a good $280 and is pretty much a must have to this all work smoothly,safely,and efficiently. As for me i hope to be sporting around 22psi of forced induction crammed down the throat of my lil 2.2 by the summer. Have fun and good luck.:thumbup:

#11 ·
:bash: There is a trubo kit that is made for a cavalier that you could probably get to work with yours it is on the sts website. You could probably have them make you the manifold for your truck. I am sure that they know how. Let me know how it turns out. The kit is 3500 and does not include an intercooler. They said to expect gains of 81+hp. For that price I think that I would have an 8 put in my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.