S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need some help here. Ive got a project 97 s-10 4.3L standerd ive been working on. And wanted to add a Turbo to it. Im building it for offroad use only. Long Travel suspension, on 33's. What would be my best bet to build for a fast but reliable motor set up?

Witch set of headers would be better to use?
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21_152_89&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

Witch Cam / valves and such should I go with?
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21_152_72&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

Im thinking I should go with this intake.
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=21_152_193&products_id=445&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

Witch size turbo should I go with?
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21_99&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

Witch pistons would be best?
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21_152_70&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

And if I change out the pistons and all shoud I change the crank also?

·
Registered
658 Posts
are you really set on those headers, those seem kind of pricey, for 300 to 400 hundred you can get a set of log style off eBay (sometimes) or go to syty.net the will usually sell you a set in the classifieds fairly cheap. And the cam go with the 270ahr for the balance shaft motor that comp sell, they also sell the same came for the non-balance shaft motors but if its the 97 block your building you'll wont the balance shaft one, the valve's the have listed on there site are ok but the only advantage i see would be swapping the 1.5 exhaust valves with the 1.6 not the intake valves, for intake any stainless steel 1.94 valves will work good, i personally prefer fierier (sp?) that intake looks good :) , and as far as turbo really depends on budget and how fast you want to go. and the srp pistons are more daily drivable than the JE i would only use the JE's if it were strictly racing but just choose the right bore and the srp's would make a nice daily drive piston.... Boy that was a long post

edit. as far as the crank just make sure it can be cleaned at no more than 10/10 if anymore the crank would be weakened more that its already weakened state, but buying one of the nitiro treated cranks might help, especial if you save your money and not buy those expensive RPM headers

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
if your set on using the RPM tubular headers, you'll need one of the sets for iron heads

if this is for offroading, i'm betting your going to want a quick spooler with loads of low RPM kick. in that case i would agree the syty manifolds would be better, also a smaller turbo like a pte44 or pte60.

your crank is fine as long as you get a precision balance. maybe cryo it while you have it out for the insurance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Turbo & some options
are you really set on those headers, those seem kind of pricey, for 300 to 400 hundred you can get a set of log style off eBay (sometimes) or go to syty.net the will usually sell you a set in the classifieds fairly cheap. And the cam go with the 270ahr for the balance shaft motor that comp sell, they also sell the same came for the non-balance shaft motors but if its the 97 block your building you'll wont the balance shaft one, the valve's the have listed on there site are ok but the only advantage i see would be swapping the 1.5 exhaust valves with the 1.6 not the intake valves, for intake any stainless steel 1.94 valves will work good, i personally prefer fierier (sp?) that intake looks good :) , and as far as turbo really depends on budget and how fast you want to go. and the srp pistons are more daily drivable than the JE i would only use the JE's if it were strictly racing but just choose the right bore and the srp's would make a nice daily drive piston.... Boy that was a long post

edit. as far as the crank just make sure it can be cleaned at no more than 10/10 if anymore the crank would be weakened more that its already weakened state, but buying one of the nitiro treated cranks might help, especial if you save your money and not buy those expensive RPM headersquote]

Ok so dont buy those headers. got it.... Ill start looking for on syty.net and e-bay. Roger that on the Cam, vavles and intake. Whats (sp?)?

Turbo, I want to go fast of course, but at the same time ive got a locker rearend and a full roll cage going in, so im going to need the lower end also.

Its not going to be a daily driver, but at the same time im going to want it to be dependable. Are the J&E's not what im looking for then? And the Stock nitiro cranks are good cranks?

if your set on using the RPM tubular headers, you'll need one of the sets for iron heads

if this is for offroading, i'm betting your going to want a quick spooler with loads of low RPM kick. in that case i would agree the syty manifolds would be better, also a smaller turbo like a pte44 or pte60.

your crank is fine as long as you get a precision balance. maybe cryo it while you have it out for the insurance
Well you guys are right they are very pricey. But if I can get the same performance outa s cheaper pair im all for it.

Now the intake I had is that a good one or should I go with this one that is the Syty convertion? http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=21_152_193&products_id=657&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

And I do want low RPM power but I really want topend as well, is the Pte44 better then the Pte60 in the topend?

Thanks guys for your help, this just starts me buying my parts for now.

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
ther first intake you posted is what i have, except not made by RPM and without an elbow, my TB is a carb style 4 barrel. i would recommend the 2114 over the syty intake manifolds

the 60 is a bigger turbo than the 44. if i were you i would go with the 60

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
i'll add another note on the RPM headers, all though they are expensive they are by far the best tubular headers on the market right now. there will come a point where you will reach the point of diminishing returns on stock syty manifolds and the money spent on turbulars would be a worthwhile investment.

although stock syty manifolds have gone deep into the 10's in the syty crowd, should be capable of faster times in a 2wd truck

·
Registered
658 Posts
sp just means i cant remember how to spell the brand of valves that i, and my father have used in some projects that we both liked. :)

the je's have less silicone in them meaning they will not swell as big when heated. great for racing since you want good piston to wall clearnesses but can cause piston slap and can cause some blow bye for a daily

·
TURBOS SUCK
765 Posts
sp just means i cant remember how to spell the brand of valves that i, and my father have used in some projects that we both liked. :)

The correct spelling is FERREA...I think?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ther first intake you posted is what i have, except not made by RPM and without an elbow, my TB is a carb style 4 barrel. i would recommend the 2114 over the syty intake manifolds

the 60 is a bigger turbo than the 44. if i were you i would go with the 60

Witch ones the 2114?

Im gonna go with the 60, would it be better if I get the RPM one or the PTE one? Only a little more $ is it worth the money?

the je's have less silicone in them meaning they will not swell as big when heated. great for racing since you want good piston to wall clearnesses but can cause piston slap and can cause some blow bye for a daily
So Ferrea makes both intake and exhaust vavles? what does a set of them cost and where's the best place to buy them?

I dont think im going to run the J&E's then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll add another note on the RPM headers, all though they are expensive they are by far the best tubular headers on the market right now. there will come a point where you will reach the point of diminishing returns on stock syty manifolds and the money spent on turbulars would be a worthwhile investment.

although stock syty manifolds have gone deep into the 10's in the syty crowd, should be capable of faster times in a 2wd truck

And I talked about it last night with my wife, and im gonna get the RPM headers. Might cost me a little more but im thinking its going to be a better buy after all. I like the cheaper way, but if im going to have to buy them eventually im going to go ahead and do it now.

What are the ods of me wanting to run twin turbos down the road do you guys think?

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=21_152_193&products_id=445&osCsid=72482451883f03a83bebd4ccdb514eec

that one is the 2114. and for the ferrea valves, if you go to turbotime.us and give them a call, they have two sets of over sized ferrea valves they are trying to get rid of for a good price. my new heads have ferrea stock sized valves

as for the pte60, its the same turbo from RPM or precision. you can call both places and get a price, just make sure if you talk to precision that you ask for the syty specific exhaust housing. although if you go with the tubular RPM headers they might be set up for a standard exhaust housing. if you go with the RPM headers, i'd get a turbo from them too that they know will work with those headers

Mike Lee at RPM can make those headers to be setup for twins with a V-band section

the stock log manifolds will bring up the exhaust back pressure sooner and have a little better spool. if your planning on making loads of power with your lifted truck and running low 10's then go for the tubulars lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

that one is the 2114. and for the ferrea valves, if you go to turbotime.us and give them a call, they have two sets of over sized ferrea valves they are trying to get rid of for a good price. my new heads have ferrea stock sized valves

as for the pte60, its the same turbo from RPM or precision. you can call both places and get a price, just make sure if you talk to precision that you ask for the syty specific exhaust housing. although if you go with the tubular RPM headers they might be set up for a standard exhaust housing. if you go with the RPM headers, i'd get a turbo from them too that they know will work with those headers

Mike Lee at RPM can make those headers to be setup for twins with a V-band section

the stock log manifolds will bring up the exhaust back pressure sooner and have a little better spool. if your planning on making loads of power with your lifted truck and running low 10's then go for the tubulars lol
Ok this is awsome! I am gonna go with RPM's headers and Turbo set up just so its all set up with one company. and yes im gonna run the 2114 intake.

turbotime.us Has the right ones I need? Ill give them a call and see what they are wanting for them.

What are some good blow off valves I should be looking at? any pacific brands I want to stay away from or want to be looking at?

·
TURBOS SUCK
765 Posts
What are some good blow off valves I should be looking at? any specific brands I want to stay away from or want to be looking at?[/QUOTE]

Tial or Turbonetics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are you really set on those headers, those seem kind of pricey, for 300 to 400 hundred you can get a set of log style off eBay (sometimes) or go to syty.net the will usually sell you a set in the classifieds fairly cheap. And the cam go with the 270ahr for the balance shaft motor that comp sell, they also sell the same came for the non-balance shaft motors but if its the 97 block your building you'll wont the balance shaft one, the valve's the have listed on there site are ok but the only advantage i see would be swapping the 1.5 exhaust valves with the 1.6 not the intake valves, for intake any stainless steel 1.94 valves will work good, i personally prefer fierier (sp?) that intake looks good :) ,

Would 2.02 intake be ok? Or do I have to have the 1.94's?
I show 1.60 exhaust valves and 2.02 intake. CHEAP!

http://www.turbotime.us/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Syclone+/+Typhoon&offset=40

Let me know please.

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
some of those prices are for individual valves, not a set. i know e-rue has a set of 2.02 and 1.60 that he has been trying to get rid of for a while, i just talked to him about them. i am getting a few of the 1.94's through him

you can run either of those sizes, just depends on what you want

and as for BOV's and wastegates, i prefer TiAL over anything else. going from an internal gate to their 38mm external gate was one of the best mods i have done to my truck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some of those prices are for individual valves, not a set. i know e-rue has a set of 2.02 and 1.60 that he has been trying to get rid of for a while, i just talked to him about them. i am getting a few of the 1.94's through him

you can run either of those sizes, just depends on what you want
So what would be the difference between the two sizes then? and do you have a number for the guy your ordering them from?

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
So what would be the difference between the two sizes then? and do you have a number for the guy your ordering them from?
the only difference is the diameter of the valve. 2.02 vs 1.94 and 1.6 vs 1.5

just get a phone number from the turbotime website and ask them about the yardsale ferrea valves at syty.net. i'm pretty sure the only ones on sale are 2.02 and 1.6 sizes.

·
TURBOS SUCK
765 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so ive got on order the following

Yesterday I got:
RPM Crank
Trying to get tomorrow.
RPM Intake

Week of 6th:
SRP Pistons
Eagle H beam Rods
ferra Valves

Week of 13th:
Comp Cam
Comp Aluminum Roller rockers
Comp push rods
Comp lifters Pro Magnum

Gotta work on getting my Motor out and takin apart so I can take everything down to Motor Magic in Parker 8-18th
Gonna get the RPM headers, RPM T60 Turbo sometime in the month of September. After my guy at Motor Magic gets done working the heads and putting the block back together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts