S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I managed to get my mitts on a Garrett T2 turbo - I wonder if anyone has any experience on installing these little beasts on a 2.2?

Also, what is the best turbo to choose for the 2.2? Its stock so I don't really need/want insane boost or anything. I know the Garrett t2 is good for up to 16 or so - I really only want 7-8 at the most. From what I understand, the ECM, fuel pump and injectors can keep up to 8psi but not much beyond. I know this isn't a "bolt-on" project but is there a turbo out there that is easiest to install?

So in an utshell what is my best option for a low-ish boost, quick spoolling (its a manual tranny so I'm bound to lose some compression between shifts) easy to install turbo?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I'd sell the T2 and get a T3. The T2 was even too small for a 1.8L.

In this arena I'd follow more closely along with what Ford and Chrysler have done, in regards to turbo sizing, on the I4s. Both of those companies used T3s on theier 2.2Ls and 2.5L

I'll suggest the Turbo Coupe T3, from a manual since it will have the smaller turbine housing, than an automatic (Check into Ford did this to promote quicker spool off the line with the manual). It has a standard turbine inlet flange, The Chryco units have a unique flange. Using the standard flange allows for upgrade replacment quite easily.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The_Raven said:
I'd sell the T2 and get a T3. The T2 was even too small for a 1.8L.

In this arena I'd follow more closely along with what Ford and Chrysler have done, in regards to turbo sizing, on the I4s. Both of those companies used T3s on theier 2.2Ls and 2.5L

I'll suggest the Turbo Coupe T3, from a manual since it will have the smaller turbine housing, than an automatic (Check into Ford did this to promote quicker spool off the line with the manual). It has a standard turbine inlet flange, The Chryco units have a unique flange. Using the standard flange allows for upgrade replacment quite easily.
Thanks for the info. Found a Turbo Coupe T3 on eBay that looks right up my alley - 7psi internal wastegate which is right in the range I need. Now heres the big question: Whats a reasonable amount to pay for one? This ebay one is $199 + 40 shipping, US funds (I'm in Canada). Is $240 US too much for a used one? I don't know much about the prices on these things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts