S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 4.3 Sdime, ext cab. I was wondering which is better, a Turbo or a Supercharger and why? Does NE one know HP/Tq. numbers for each setup. Please help, any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
go turbo, it will put out more power psi for psi vs the supercharger. Its more expensive but well worth it. My buddy and i supercharged his 4.3 and were very dissapointed in the results. Go turbo. I promise you wont regret it.

On a side note, even though I am partial to turboing anything and everything, i have found it to be more cost effective just to spray it. You will get some great times and its alot cheaper than a turbo setup. If I had an s-10 spray would be my first choice just due to price and ease. Good, luck. Don't waste your money supercharging though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the problem is that I have no experience with this type of equipment, so I was wanting peoples opinions that have worked with these devices

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
If you get a quality kit, both are going to give you awesome gains if done properly along with other components that compliment the added boost. A lot of people with vortec and powerdyne superchargers complain about the performance gains not being what they think it should be, but I have never heard anyone complain about owning a machperformance ati supercharger. I would not for a second say that a supercharger is a waste of money by any means. Turbo's obviously are way more popular with the 4 banger crowd, although I have seen quite a few supercharged 4's. A turbo will give you more power normally vs. a supercharger, but like 97 said they tend to cost more ($5500 vs. $4100 from mach). Personally, having a 5 speed and if I had the money, I would choose the supercharger kit over the turbo kit. Either way, on a mainly stock s10, a turbo or s/c kit is supposedly guaranteed to produce a 13 second timeslip, how can you really go wrong?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
when we slapped the powerdyne on the 01 5 speed 2 door jimmy it went 14.91 with no other mods, not worth the money for the kit at all.. could have spent that money on n2o and been in the 13's for sure. its all in your taste/budget.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Turbo.

More potential in the turbo. A S/C or turbo hurt your engine equally (not really hurt...)

I would rather have a standard if I had a turbo though (keep turbo(s) spooled.)

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
turbo!! and super!!! hmmm...is it possible?? go turbo www.machperformance.com has a great kit w/ intercooler. they had a stock blazer with new exhaust of course that ran 13's i believe on a bone stock engine.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
of course anything is possible.... its would be morel like, what makes sense.. instead of super and turb, go sequential turbo :) a little one spins up, then the boost is shifted to the big one!

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
ok...you can't compare a powerdyne to a procharger setup with an intercooler. Powerdynes only cost about $2300 compared to $4000+ for the Procharger from Mach Performance. The Powerdyne is only supposed to add about 60 hp, where as the Procharger can ad at least double that. You just can't compare a good turbo setup to a low end supercharger that is just to give you a little hp gain and still be very quiet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
S/C or Turbo will be pretty much the same, you can get a supercharger cheaper and you'll be happy with the increase. The turbo will be more expensive but you can get more hp out of it, plus it sounds alot better then the high whine of a S/C. I think turbos are alittle easier on your engine then a S/C. The cheapest way to get a 13 sec. truck is throw a ls1 350 engine in it, plus if you want to throw a S/C on that you'd have one damn fast truck.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Rhansen said:
I would'nt say that.
Neither would I! Who wouldn't like the sound of a procharger whining?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Azalin_eq said:
S/C or Turbo will be pretty much the same, you can get a supercharger cheaper and you'll be happy with the increase. The turbo will be more expensive but you can get more hp out of it, plus it sounds alot better then the high whine of a S/C. I think turbos are alittle easier on your engine then a S/C. The cheapest way to get a 13 sec. truck is throw a ls1 350 engine in it, plus if you want to throw a S/C on that you'd have one damn fast truck.
cheapest way for a 13 sec truck nitrous, period, but bottle filling will add up after time, all of the supercharger kits have there pro's and con's, the turbo's are alot more but depending on what someone wants its all up to you, and why not on a 5 speed ? i have one with my 6 speed and love it, and i had a supercharger on before it, both gave very big power incresease, but power cost $$ how fast do you want to go ? guess hp/tq numbers for each is very hard, depeing on what other mods you have to go with them, not to mention with the turbo kits, once you start turning the boost up ou ll need a stronger tranny becuase of all the TQ they produce.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
ok...i know a little about turbo;s and supers, so dont flame me. i thought a super increased power by 1/2 (200 hp engine becomes 300 hp) as opposed to a turbo, which doesnt add that much? or is that taking into account the fact that the super is a parasitic addon, where as the turbo doesnt need to take power from the engine to create more power?

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
nah there is no such relation there...

depends on the boost the unit is putting out. generally though, a SC will have more torque than a turbo down low.... i.e. spin the tires off but less peak HP

TC will have more HP up high and torque about the same or more but higher up in RPMS

I say TC for most of these guys because traction off the line is already a problem. A SC will just make the smoke show better.... (faster of course..)k

·
Registered
940 Posts
G60_Likes_2_Break said:

TC will have more HP up high and torque about the same or more but higher up in RPMS

I say TC for most of these guys because traction off the line is already a problem. A SC will just make the smoke show better.... (faster of course..)k
seems like people are just making stuff up again, s/c or turbo boost forces air into our motor's which along with the extra fuel makes more power, you can build either (supercharger or turbo) to push 30 + lbs of boost into your motor, now will you motor be able to handle it, well for us in stock form no, about 8-10 lbs is what is a safe level (from a supercharger), sure many of us run more then that on stock motors and they do handle the power fine but for how long ? but the most important thing is tunning, if you don t have a good tune on your motor don t excpect it to last long. the reason turbo's give us so much more power and why alot of the import guys run them is becuase there is no drag off the motor to make power, also you will have full boost at low rpm's for mike, bill and I, we all have full boost around 2500 rpms or so and hold it till redline, which gives us alot of low end TQ, bill layed down 384 ft lbs at the wheels from a stock motor at 8.5 lbs of boost from a turbo. i don t see any of the supercharged guys with stock internals doing that. now what G60 said is totally wrong, it is the turbocharged that will make a smoke show, s/c don't hit full boost till redline. best thing to do to find out which one is better is to do a search. alot of guys talk on here that have no experiance on either of them and have never run a supercharger or turbo on a s-10. personaly i have run both, i ve had everything from a stock motor with a vortech supercharger and 5 speed to a built motor with a turbo and 6 speed, i know xblazinlv ( mike) has also had both but with an auto, as well as alot of others on here.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Nice way of putting it xtreme43s10, I think that clears up a lot of misconceptions people have with forms of boost, atleast it did for me. Considering you have had both s/c and turbo with a manual transmission I am curious, as sometime in the future I would like to add boost, which would you choose for a street driven daily driver with 4-5 trips to the drag strip each season (besides the fact that you have a 6spd turbo, I don't know what your primary use for the vehicle is)?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts