S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin about rebuilding my 2.5 soon. Gonna get a cam and some headwork done, maybe bore it out. And was wondering has anyone turbo'd their 2.5? If so what all was involved?

·
stuck static
2,440 Posts
i say do it, ive been toying with the idea for along time and everytime somone makes a post on here they geta responce like the one above. ****in do it, just to say you did it. you will definitly need a bigger injector and possibly even have a chip custom burned. Theres a guy on ebay that burns chips and is damn good at if i do say so myself. He burned the chip in my buddys turbo trans am. if you do decide to start turboing it, i would like to see pics

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why not try..? If everyone thought that the sames were cool and only the same things were worth doing, we'd all be driving stock Huyndai's -- or worse, we'd all be building drift cars... :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
True dat, got one too... :)

No doubt it's be cheeper to go the swap route if all you care about is more power, but if you've got some of the stuff and can fab up some of ther rest, it might be more fun... The best vehicle I ever owned was a '69 Suburban the had a 6-71 blown Cadddy 472 (Finding a blower manifold for a BB caddy took a while!) w/ a powerglide...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was planning on turboing my 2.5L but when I got into researching it I deceided against doing it. Mainly because the 2.5L engine is not a good high rpm engine. Turbo's like Rpm's and they make their power high up in the rev range. The 2.5L's would be better suited to a supercharger where they can produce more torque in the lower rev ranges.

Dont get me wrong it sure isnt something that is not totally possible to do, there is a fair amount of room under the hood for all the goodies to run a turbo. I just dont think the rewards would be worth the work.

Anyway, if you do go for, Good luck and dont forget to post pics..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the Info, If I do follow through with it I'll try to get about 6k rpms out of it and go with a T25 or T28. It'll deffinitely get a 400+ cfm TBI and a custom chip from www.turbocity.com . I'll keep researching it

·
stuck static
2,440 Posts
i would get a k03 from an VW, they are nice and small, its what they use on the hyabusa's when they turbo them. Or could get a dsm turbo those are pretty small too

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
ninjaboy said:
I was planning on turboing my 2.5L but when I got into researching it I deceided against doing it. Mainly because the 2.5L engine is not a good high rpm engine.
The stock 2.5s aren't good high rpm engines, but that's more because of the parts they used rather than a design issue. Stock 2.5s are intended for low-speeds, so they're built to make torque rather than horsepower.

2.5s can be very good high rpm motors, you just need the right parts for the job. It pretty much involves a top-to-bottom rebuild of course; especially the valvetrain and rotating assemblies, those are some of the biggest limiters.

Here's a good example. Below are two crankshafts for a 2.5 block. On the left is one from a stone-stock motor. On the right is one from a Super Duty race motor.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Turbo's DO NOT have to be in high RPM's to work. The whole principle behind turbo diesels is low rpm torque, and this can also apply to the iron duke. The turbo housing (cold and hot side) has to sized for displacement, and where you want to power band , and peak boost to be. There use to be a great web site called jyturbos, (junk yard) and it was all people who made their own turbo kits on almost everything. Maybe the crank is not the strongest in these, but GM put a turbo on much "less stout" engines from the factory such as the 2.0 sunbird. It comes down to keeping it from detonating, and giving it enough fuel.

·
LadyExplicit
522 Posts
uggg... i'm sick of seeing this 'turbo' question being asked in this forum.
SOMEONE PLEASE (for the love of god) MAKE A %&[email protected]^& STICKY!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is fine... go ahead and do it.... just to say you did it... but you're gonna have one useless engine. you're better off dumping the money into a 350 with a turbo.

If you REALLY want some GOOD advice... talk to Tamas... e-mail is [email protected] He'll set you straight about everything!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes I understand that a diesel is a slow revving engine. Ive been doing performance work on diesels lately and I still hold to my statement. Even on the diesel engines the turbo doesnt do much in the lower rev range. They really make their power above 2400 rpm's and most diesels redline at around 3000-3200 rpm. So even in the diesel engine it is top end power. Just because you are talking lower overall rpms they still make their power high up. Diesels also have the advantage of 18 to 24:1 compression ratios and diesel fuel is better for controlling detonation.

·
rsxnky02
19 Posts
an average t3/t4 turbo will hit FULL boost at around 4500 k. even faster depending on how much boost you are running.

IROC 10 s statement is completly true. a turbocharged vehicle is only as good as the tune. and timing, and detonation control is key. you may have to run premium gas, but it is definatly possible. honestly i would really worry about my pistons rings and rods, way way before the crank.

drift cars kick ass btw

·
Registered
1 Posts
ladyexplicit said:
All I have to say is fine... go ahead and do it.... just to say you did it... but you're gonna have one useless engine. you're better off dumping the money into a 350 with a turbo.

quote]

Someone read my mind. This happens to be my plan SB twin turbo backed by a T56.

·
get laid/commit suicide
3,222 Posts
idragbodys10 said:
iron duke :D ..no turbo tho...around 350hp (i think)..

damn those must be really low cfm carbs!! Or it is running rich as hell. I love the valve cover though, I have wanted to do that for a while.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts