S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you turbo charged your trucks did you have to relocate your o2 sensor after the turbo?I didn't know if having the o2 in front of the turbo would make a differance in how the vehicle would run.Is the o2 sensor in stock turbo vehicles in front of the turbo?

·
Registered
463 Posts
nope you don't have to move it. I don't think that it makes a difference if it is before or after the turbo

·
Registered
389 Posts
With my setup it's after the turbo, but like 325c2 said, I really don't think it would make a difference.

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
Mines still in the stock location, no codes.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
It doesnt matter either way, the turbo does not effect the emissions inside of the exhaust pipe.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.In it i found that ideally the 02 sensor should placed after the turbo for best results.The o2 doesn't regulate emissions per say,it regulates the a/f ratio that is established by the computers programing.I'm assuming better placement of it would help with tunning.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
the air going by the turbo and the air coming out of the header is the same air. It would make no advantage from a mechanical stand point to be after the turbo just use common sense. Is water wetter at the spigot or at the end of the hose?

·
Registered
87 Posts
An O2 sensor should be placed in an ideal temperature spot. You dont want it too hot and you dont want it too cold. It takes a short while for the O2 sensor to heat up. Ideally I believe between 500-700* is what you should aim for. In the stock location you shouldnt have as hot of gases while NA, but with a turbo you're apt to experience some extra heat pre-turbo, thats most likely why he advised it there. If you use a DSM turbo, and you also use an O2 housing, theres a perfectly good O2 bung right there on the elbow after the turbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts