S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am interested in a turbo kit for my truck and I was talking to this guy that had one on his. Anyways he said that when it is raining/wet outside the engine backfires under load untill it warms up. I was wondering what would cause this to happen. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea but the thing is he said it only does it when it is wet out. Any other day it does not do it. PUZZLING:chicken:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yup, that's right. Almost as if it were bad spark plug wires or something, but they are new wires.

I don't really think its's turbo related, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds ignition related. I didnt read the rest of the thread to see if you solved the problem, but it sounds like something ignition related.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try having him swap his wires with someone else next time it rains and try it out. I definately dont see it being turbo related etc at all, if he had some way to monitor his o2's he could pretty easily verify it as ignition. If he could monitor the O2 sensor voltage, he should be able to see a very sharp decrease in O2 sensor voltage when its backfiring. The reason being is that the ignition of the mixture isnt happening causing a rush of oxygen to flow past the o2 sensor tricking the motor into adding way more fuel because it reads a sudden super lean condition, causing major backfiring.

Just because the wires are new doesnt rule them out as bad. I have heard of people getting bad sets brand new before. Its a fluke but it happens, and as I mentioned it defiantely sounds ignition related and wires and plugs are the easiest to recognize, with the wires being the part that Id be concerned about here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no backfiring problems either in my 98 turbo 2.2 and it has been raining alot here recently, maybe its a backpressure thing, because the pipes arent hot and they havent expanded yet its probably not a problem but before you drive you should let your truck heat up a little and drive it easily until its hot then it might not do it

·
Registered
697 Posts
i agree, tell him to let it warm up first. it also saves on wear and tear. i'm also sure that the water hitting the exhaust isnt helping the pipes to warm up and expand as fast as the motor is warming up either. is the vehicle he has the turbo on lowered? wheres the airfilter located? maybe the water is clogging up the filter so its not pulling air like it should. :dunno:

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
Weird that I am just reading this thread today. Last night it was raining pretty hard and it was about 33 degrees. Now I'm not trying to make a correlation here, but my truck was 'backfiring' till it warmed up.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would guess that since it only happens on rainy days ti would have to be ignition somewhere. Normally turbos backfire or sputter when there is an air leak somewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Turbo's dont backfire and sputter if there are leaks, unless the system is metered before the leak. If the air is metered before the boost leak, then it will cause a very rich condition, making it backfire. However if you have a Map sensor, and that is the only means of metering your air then a boost leak prior to the manifold or whever the map signal is coming from wont cause any noticable problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think it could be that when he put the turbo on he put too cold of plugs in?

·
Registered
87 Posts
What plugs is he running? How much colder than stock are they? Also just curious what they're gapped to.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My bike was popping from what I thought was a backfire. It turned out to be the fitting on the intake ( it was rubber) between the turbo and intake manifold.

·
Registered
87 Posts
But the airflow on your s10's is only metered by a MAP sensor correct? If thats the case then unless the air is escaping out the gasket between the intake mani and the head you shouldnt have any backfiring, as the air isnt even metered until the intake manifold. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, its pretty obvious I dont have an S10, just trying to help ya out.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
hey, if its due to a richness problem, wouldn't that be the cause here. You guys are running FPRs that cause a slightly rich setup right? Its that way since there is no computer tuning, you're running off the stock timing etc, its cold, the timing is going to be slightly advanced, combine that with the extra fuel, and there ya go....just a thought.

Caleb

·
Registered
87 Posts
Define slightly rich, hopefull you're not running rich to the point that you're backfiring, as honestly that would be stupidly rich, hurting fuel econ, power, and turbo spool up. I pray this isnt the case although I dont know your personal setups.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts