S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
my truck is slow
500 Posts
virtually no difference between auto and 5speed when it comes to turbos. only thing that comes to mind is a turbo that makes boost in upper rpm's but thats solved by changing trany shift points etc. It should work fine man

EDIT: also you can firm the shifts with a b&m trick shift auto shift kit

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
the originally test vehicle of turbos10.com turboed an auto

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would prefer an auto over a standard.... and will be doing mine this October after all the shows are over. Also boost can happen wherever you want it to by sizing the turbo right for your needs. messing with the shift points is too much work for an auto IMHO. The turbo I will be getting will give me full boost by 2100 rpm's.... Granted it's a small turbo but since I'm only running 7lbs of boost I don't need anything big.

·
7 P.S.I. is not enough
294 Posts
i dont think there would be a difference in it at all

·
boosted 2.2L
2,324 Posts
<-- turbo auto
trans stall speed is 2600 in the auto
my turbo is spooled by 2600.
so it will launch on boost.
as for heat i'm 10-12 psi and with a colder stat and an e fan it never gets above 210

·
Registered
273 Posts
he is talking about turbo heat and he is true up to a point.... hears the thing.... right off the bat my turbo is making boost, and heat, and I will be in boost for a long pierod of time because it came on soo fast. good news is the sooner full boost hits the quicker you'll go but because of the longer duration of time that the turbo is running it is producing more heat. BUT since I am only running 7psi the turbo is only working at half it's potential so it will heat up half as fast. (this is only a general discription of how it works, it my not be exactly half as fast but you get the idea) It's kind of a give and take and if you run an intercoller and also wrap your exaust lines and exaust side of the turbo i can't see it being a big deal. The problem comes when you take the same small turbo which come's on fast and run 20psi through it. now it might hit full boost at 2700 rpm but you'll still be in boost for a long time and since your pushing it to it's max it will get hot and actually cause you to loose power, and thats when you upgrade to a bigger turbo.

·
boosted 2.2L
2,324 Posts
air fuel ratio also plays into heat,
as well as a host of other things but nothing heat wrap cant fix:)

and what size turbo do you plan on running to spool that low?
I build boost before 2k but definately not full

·
Registered
273 Posts
i agree with you... I was just tryin to explain to Chris about heat in general... The turbo I plan on using is a garrett T-II turbo out of the Shelby GLHS. I could also use a T-III turbo out of the Spirit R/T which spools quick but not as quick as the T-II. The difference is the T-III's max is like 21psi and the T-II's max is like 17psi Plus I have a quick spool option on it which is basicly where they cut and reshape the intake side propeller. The reason I'm going to use one of these is because I used to own a Spirit R/T, stock 2.2, with it boosting to 17psi. Full boost hit between 2700-3000 and with a small intercoller I was making 300hp. I LOVE these turbos!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
that kinda brings up another question..... my current truck doesn't have a tac on it but I did manage to pick one up from a junk yard.... will it be just a swap out or will i need to run other wires

P.S. chris... seeing that your in MD are you going to be at carlisle truck show? I'm also rolling down to the Freak Show this year...

·
boosted 2.2L
2,324 Posts
most high HP turbo cars run autos..the thing is my truck is at 3k rm at 60mph so its just not something id wanna do for me...for ou...you can do what you want :)
turbo allows you to lug the motor more
most of my tuning was done on trans shift firmness and shift points

1 - 20 of 22 Posts