S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I need some help with my truck. Any of you guys that can help me get started. I put the EFI on this 84, but I know ZERO about tuning it or even getting started doing so. I've read plenty of articles and watched videos but nothing really shows me how to do even the basic stuff like how to get it connected and how to interpret the data on the computer.

ANY help is appreciated. It may be helpful if someone has a starting point tune for:

84 st10 with crate 3.4
4.3 TBI and injectors
4.3 ECM. I can get the stock numbers and chips IDs too. I also have an 1228062 2.8 computer from a 91 2.8 if that is better.

I have damanx's cable to connect to pc. Bill...thank you if you are reading this.

Thanks!

·
the new guy
653 Posts
can you tune a stock ecu? I thought it was just plug and go.

to tune though, you need a wide band 02 sensor and wide bands were really common on early fuel injection. I am not if yours is or is not but the one on my son's 92 2.8 is a narrow band 02. generally a wideband has a larger plug and 4 wires in the plug because it has a power, a ground, a heater wire, and the read wire.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd hop on some camaro forums or older tbi truck forums, typically you have to burn proms for those computers. harris tbi chips can offer insight into attempting to tune your pcm, not sure if he offers services for v6's.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
can you tune a stock ecu? I thought it was just plug and go.

to tune though, you need a wide band 02 sensor and wide bands were really common on early fuel injection. I am not if yours is or is not but the one on my son's 92 2.8 is a narrow band 02. generally a wideband has a larger plug and 4 wires in the plug because it has a power, a ground, a heater wire, and the read wire.

That's not accurate at all...

Wideband O2 sensors are extremely uncommon in early (OEM )EFI

Widebands also have 6 wires, not 4. 4 wire O2 sensors are still narrow band O2 sensors, they just have a built in heater.

Yes, (most) OEM ECUs can be tuned, sometimes there's additional hardware needed, sometimes modifications to the ECU are needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts