Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info I appreciate it and exactly
The dies I was looking at
A few others
You use the 90 or 180 more

·
Registered
41 Posts
go with the 180. i use the 1 1/2" 5" radius 180 degree and love it. if u only go 90 and for some reason u need that extra. then u dont have it. with 180 u can always go less. i also have a 1 in 180. love my jd2. u cant go wrong with them

·
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.
4,699 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
trust me when i say u get what u pay for. i have this bender http://www.jd2.com/p-38-model-32-bender-hydraulic.aspx
but i also have this with it
http://www.jd2.com/p-36-airhydraulic-pump-pat1102n-with-10000-psi-hose.aspx
dont get me wrong, i have around 3k in my bender by time i got a few dies then the starter kit plus the bending software. that is a must. u gotta get the bendtech pro. i have built several roll cages with mine plus all diff kinds of tube doors and various other stuff. u cant go wrong with a JD2 bender

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for all the info!
I was looking at a similar bender like the pirate 4x4 one
Called a tube shark but not a huge fan
The jd2 bender style is all I'll need for now
I eventually want a mandrel but gotta get the business going first
The tubing notcher that the guys on pirate 4x4 sells is very interesting

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got my tube notcher from willwood fab, i use the 1 1/2 hole saw blades with it and a heavy duty drill. Have used it for at lease 2 or 3 years and cut hundreds of notches. I usually use one hole saw per cage. The are only or 5 or 6 bucks. Glad I could help

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my tube notcher from willwood fab, i use the 1 1/2 hole saw blades with it and a heavy duty drill. Have used it for at lease 2 or 3 years and cut hundreds of notches. I usually use one hole saw per cage. The are only or 5 or 6 bucks. Glad I could help
Did you mean Woodward fab?
And yes all the info I got has helped

·
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.
4,699 Posts
I use a mill to notch my tubes using all sorta of tooling, Endmills, Boring head, Hole Saws. they all work it just depends on how good you are with trig and a angle finder.

Hell I still use a grinder 40% of the time.. it just works.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya agreed .... I don't plan on purchasing a mill till it's needed.
A grinder is my back up option on notching but a notcher will make it a lot easier
I sold off a lot of my fab tools before I moved which was dumb on my part.
Luckily I kept my tig welder, so I'm in search for a mig,possibly a plasma, tubing bender, and notcher.
I just recently drew up auto cad for designing my frame bench
So once I get in shop I'll build that and get started on my truck to display my work at shows and try and reel in business

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fabrication Addiction has correctly stated the commonly used radii that are 1 1/2"-5" and 1 3/4"-6". These are ideal for a beginner. Also, you should opt for dies with 180o bend, as it gives you enough space to work. With an 180o die, you can either increase or decrease the bend as required. If you are unable to find the 5" die elsewhere, try Woodward Fab. They have both round and square tube bending dies in various radii options, along with the ones you might need.

I’ve been using the WFB2 Manual Tube Bender that I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago. And, it just works fine for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts