S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm getting ready to start up the engine, but the battery light is on in the cluster? If i try to start it the starter clicks once and the lights go dead. Does this mean i have a bad connection somewhere?

·
Registered
407 Posts
check your battery,make sure its good,if so,check all wires to make sure there not loose or grounding out,if none of that first make sure your starter gear isnt getting jammed in the flywheel,if not, test the starter and make sure its good

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i checked my main connections... i might sound like an idiot for this but i dont have all the connections pluged in, i'm just seeing if the i can get the engine to crank over. Only little stuff like front headlight harness and such.

would that be causing any problems?

I'm pretty sure there is a bad connection though just because of the fact that if i turn the key the battery voltage guage starts droping and it will kill all lights that are on in the cab. I have no idea what would be causing it though..............

I can hear the starter solenoid click so i'm hoping at this point thats not the problem.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
sounds to me like your battery is dead.

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i charged the battery all night, shows 12.4 volts on the meter.

Now when i turn the key i just get a metal click from the starter. But the cab lights stay on and just the cluster blacks out.

I'm guessing all this mean is my starter is bad?

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
not neccessarily, you need to take your battery to otterzone or somewhere like that and have them check it for you. its easily possible for a battery to have 12-14 volts and only have a few amps. case in point, had a DTS at work the other day, have 13.8 volts, and 42 cold cranking amps. amps is the amount of voltage the battery can move or use, it has plenty of voltage, just not enough power to move it.

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok i tore into the side of it more to see what up with the starter. The gear comes out and only spins like a quarter turn.

Now for the battery thing, a couple days ago i bought a battery from shucks tried it and it did the same thing so i returned it.

Now i am just completly lost of what to do... I'm calling jared tomorrow to see if he has any advice.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
check every ground wire to make sure its not grounded on anything except what its supposed to be, and make sure your terminals are clean and there is not rust. and check all your power wires to makes sure they arent grounding out anywhere. you have put oil in it and primed it havent you?

·
More Go then Show
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a 5.3l lsx engine from a 2002 tahoe that was recently crashed so i don't need to prime it i don't think?

and yes there is oil in it.

I'm wondering if it is a computer problem or some shit... cause i have check all my wires already

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would call Jared because my harness from him was a little backwards. Upon first install no lights would come on on the cluster. After talking with him and going through it all was taken care of and now no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts