S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just dropped my sonoma 2/3 last weekend. It is way lopsided now. I've read the posts on how to fix it, but I don't want to deal with taking the spring out again to install the spring spacer. i had a bad experience. Could I level out the front with a longer end link on the sway bar? I saw someone recomended doing it by cutting the one on the passenger side, but I don't want that side as low as the drivers side. I want the drivers side to come up. Also, would that level out the rear, or would I have to do something like buy a 2" drop block for the drivers side rear? Also, the rear seems to bottom out kinda easily after I cut back my bump stops. I didn't expect that. Can I fix that? Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
do you have to take the springs out to put the spacer in?...i had a spacer for my old ranger and it was the kind that slide into the center of the spring...i dunno if the one for the s-10 is the same tho...

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone got an opinion on this? will it work?

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used about an inch worth of washers to space the end link. it brought the drivers side front right up to where it should be. the passenger rear also came down. My truck is nice and flat now. Now all I need to do it take care of the rear bottoming out. is there anything that would work that is easier than cutting off the bump stop mounts?

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
wow, this sounds like a much cheaper/simpler solution to the chevy lean than buying and installing a rubber spacer in the coil spring. how bad is this though? seems it would create extra stress on the sway bar, or on something for that matter

how much work is involved - do i just pull out the bolt, stick some washers in and retighten? or do i need to jack the truck up to do this? would you recommend adding washers to the low side over cutting the spacer short on the high side?
when i got under my truck to examine these end link spacers, i noticed that the one on the drivers side is about an inch shorter than the other - about the same difference in height between the front drivers and pasenger side of the truck. do they do this on purpose? i measured them to make sure it wasnt my eyes, and the one on the drivers side deffinitely is just under an inch shorter...does this change the whole theory on the truck leaning because it is heavier on the drivers side? is the sway bar designed to work with spacers the way they are now, or with equal-length end link spacers? shoud i stop worrying about it and just put some washers in that bitch? thank you :)

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
well i had a similar problem with my 94 when i dropped it 5/6. with the damn chevy lean i installed what some people call "knuckles" or coil spacers into my coil and it raised it about 3/4 inch. i think after a while i'll just end up replacing the drop i have on there and put the coil spacer in when i take out the old springs, but these seemed to do the job and for like 30 bucks it was a quick and easy fix. just jacked up my truck let the spring uncompress then placed the spacers in the coil lowered the jack slowly and i was done. hope this helps you out

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
You need to cut out your bumpstop brackets in the rear to stop the bottoming out. It's not hard at all, just use an angle grinder or die grinder and cut the welds, then take a BFH to it.

As for the lean, I would suggest getting the spacer rather than messing with the swaybar endlinks. But I don't believe in riggin my suspension, I would rather do it the right way and not take any chances.

·
S-Clusive Member
521 Posts
spacers eh I just dropped mine 3" in the front and have an extra inch drop on the drivers side so I guess I am having the same problem. With getting spacers, how hard are they to install can you do it fairly easy or is it taking that dam spring out again or what. also I have an extra inch of drop in the front anyways on both sides and have checked all te parts is that common once the springs settle or should it not have done that?

·
Lovin the Auto!
113 Posts
OH no, i'm doing this job as we speak, spacer just sits on top of the spring (yes spring has to be out) But i'm having trouble getting the spacer and coil to line up in the little pod it sits in.

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
nobody has information on the sway bar end link thing?

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
BoneZQ8GMC said:
OH no, i'm doing this job as we speak, spacer just sits on top of the spring (yes spring has to be out) But i'm having trouble getting the spacer and coil to line up in the little pod it sits in.
tape the spacer to the coil so it doesn't move around on u. the spacer is only 11.00 and it's the right way to do it, adding washer or cutting coils just puts the suspension at points it's not supposed to be at, over time something will break and u'll pay more then 11 to fix it.

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
miniburples10 said:
Coil spacer part number BEL-4930. Can be picked up at summitracing.com. And you will only need one just for the driver's side.
yup yup

·
Drop N Destroy
4,712 Posts
CustomS10 said:
tape the spacer to the coil so it doesn't move around on u. the spacer is only 11.00 and it's the right way to do it, adding washer or cutting coils just puts the suspension at points it's not supposed to be at, over time something will break and u'll pay more then 11 to fix it.
:stupid:

·
Registered
273 Posts
quick question guys if i want a 2/3 drop and buy the spindles from belltech i don't need the spacer right since i am keeping my original shocks

·
the guy on the couch
123 Posts
'adding washer or cutting coils just puts the suspension at points it's not supposed to be at, over time something will break and u'll pay more then 11 to fix it.'

i dont think we're talking about the same thing. im talking about adding washers to or cutting the sway bar end link spacers, not the coils. still no information on this?????

·
No more switches
13,451 Posts
aztecaking100 said:
quick question guys if i want a 2/3 drop and buy the spindles from belltech i don't need the spacer right since i am keeping my original shocks
i'm a little confused here at what you mean. The spacer fixes the lean. if u use spindle's you'll still have the lean. if u use coils u'll still have the lean. the spacer fixes that.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know this is an old post, but i dont want anyone to stumble upon it and think that its a good idea.. Dont do it!!! I tested the shorter sway bar link and it proves nothing.. Just go out and buy the spacer and save the extra work!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts