S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced inner and outer tie rods, idler arm and center link. Did a diy alinment and made a 200+ mile trip back home with the truck driving straight with no issues other than my steering wheel is mis aligned and can not see parts of my instrument cluster when I'm driving. So I made sure tires were straight and pulled the steering wheel off to center it. Had an issue trying to get it completely straight so now it sits just a few degrees off. And the wheel isnt completely solid on the column. It wobbles a bit. Any one have any insight on this?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,274 Posts
Yep...put the wheel back where it was, and get it aligned by a professional.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,274 Posts
I believe so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been able to put it on so that I can see instrument cluster now. So I guess mine isn't.... Unfortunately I don't have the money to get alinment done at a shop.

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
Is it the stock wheel? Because mine is definitely keyed. I would point to the “wheel isn’t solid and wobbles a bit” part of your post to say that it is keyed, and not aligned and on said keying properly. You would need to straighten the wheel and the go adjust your tie rods ends. I aligned mine with string line, tape measure, and a level and it drives straight, wheel is straight, and no weird tire wear, so it can be done.

Reactions: ala_frosty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I'll check it out. I did my alignment the same way with a string line. And it worked fine

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
That mark at the top is your “top dead center” mark (for lack of a better term). It looks like a center punch dimple. If I remember correctly, your horn wiring should then be the “key” and come up through the 225 degree hole to the left and below the threaded hole to put the steering wheel puller stud in. It has been a while since I had the wheel off though.

I can’t get the picture to upload in the correct orientation, but the mark I am talking about is to the right in this pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Yea I see what u are talking about. I'm going to pull the wheel off after work and see if I can find the 'key hole'. I can get everything to line up up untill I put steering wheel in place and have it completely straight. Another question... I was looking at the steering column under the hood and noticed the shaft going into the steering box, I could see about a 1/4' of splines. I don't remember seeing that before and wondering if that is normal??

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
Do you have a pic? I don’t see any exposed splines on mine, but there is a plastic cover where it goes into the power steering box. I don’t know if that is where you are talking about.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,274 Posts
Pop the cover off...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts