S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about getting true dual exhaust on my S10. I would like to get borla exhaust and magnaflow hi flow catalytic converters. Would putting true duals give me better performance and sound? I want to get true duals if i would do modifications down the road like headers which im thinking about doing next year and get some more money. Would getting true duals put on an S10 be to difficult with the oxygen sensors and would it still run good?
Also are the magnaflow hi flow cats street legal? i live in PA
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit: Or would i just be better off getting a cat back system and a Magnaflow high flow cat. After searching the forums it doesnt look like true duals work out to good on S10's.
And does anyone know if the hi flow cats are street legal? it doesnt say they arent so id assume there are legal just want to make sure though, also should i invest in a new Y pipe?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have true duals on my truck with turbo mufflers(just ordered some flowmasters tonight) and i think it sounds pretty good. i have a sound clip if you want to hear it

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Who says high-flow cats are illegal?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
It'll perform just as well as a properly setup single exhaust, just costs you more.

And..who the hell needs a cat anyways???!!?

·
sup brah
2,477 Posts
i would keep the cat. unless you have 500+ hp. a "high flow" or gutted cat. should be one of the last things you think about doing as a mod. unless its clogged. spend the money a custom y-pipe or cat-back exhaust. in my opinion, i don`t know why people say to remove or gut the cat as one of the first mods. later on down the road, yes. have you seen the stock muffler on our trucks, yeah that should be taken care of first. again this is my opinion and i don`t mean to offend anyone. to each to his own.

·
Huge Ideas, Tiny Wallet
1,362 Posts
I completely removed my cat and didn't gain any performance from it. So I would keep the cat you have now unless it's clogged. I would however recommend a good custom y-pipe and cat back single exhaust. True duals are difficult and costly to setup because of the limited space and gas tank location plus your ride won't perform any better than it would with a good single exhaust setup. Everyone has their own preferences but I chose the cheaper route and installed a 2.5" Dynomax catback system from summit for $110 and I'm quite pleased. Now I just need a custom y-pipe. PS the factory cats are high flow and work just fine, wish I would have kept mine.

·
Blk_blazer00
602 Posts
wotgtp said:
i would keep the cat. unless you have 500+ hp.
i disagree. where did you come up with that number from? gutting your cat gives you better flow and gives the exhaust a different tone. shit my truck doesnt make 1/2 of that and i noticed a difference. even the guys on performancetrucks.net with fullsize (less than 500+ hp) trucks usually have theirs gutted or go high flow.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would just get a highflow cat and a single 2.5 exhaust. A highflow cat wont hurt your exhaust flow any.

·
alone i break
4,291 Posts
I HAVE TRUE DUALS

jba headers the pipes are ran right up to the tranx xmember then in to the magna flow cat then to the 40 flows. I ditched my stock tank a long time ago. and to run my pipes it was 100 bux out the door

·
Huge Ideas, Tiny Wallet
1,362 Posts
I'm not convinced that gutting your cat is giong to give you any real performance boost. That would have to be proven with some dyno runs with the cat and w/o the cat and some runs at the track to see if there was any real difference. Most people who gut their cats or replace them with a straight pipe do so when they install a catback exhaust system. So is the performance gain from the gutted cat or from the betterflowing catback system. I did the catback first and noticed a performance gain then pulled the cat and substituted a straight pipe and felt no gain but I did hear a difference in the exhaust tone. Made mine sound a little more ricer in my opinion. Wish I would have kept the cat. To each there own.
It would be interesting to see some real dyno data numbers with and without the cat and with and without the catback system. Everyone has their own opinions but hard numbers...that's what I'm talking about. So whose got the cash and the time to do our experiment and give us some real answers?
blk_blazer said:
i disagree. where did you come up with that number from? gutting your cat gives you better flow and gives the exhaust a different tone. shit my truck doesnt make 1/2 of that and i noticed a difference. even the guys on performancetrucks.net with fullsize (less than 500+ hp) trucks usually have theirs gutted or go high flow.

·
sup brah
2,477 Posts
sockjock said:
I'm not convinced that gutting your cat is giong to give you any real performance boost. That would have to be proven with some dyno runs with the cat and w/o the cat and some runs at the track to see if there was any real difference. Most people who gut their cats or replace them with a straight pipe do so when they install a catback exhaust system. So is the performance gain from the gutted cat or from the betterflowing catback system. I did the catback first and noticed a performance gain then pulled the cat and substituted a straight pipe and felt no gain but I did hear a difference in the exhaust tone. Made mine sound a little more ricer in my opinion. Wish I would have kept the cat. To each there own.
It would be interesting to see some real dyno data numbers with and without the cat and with and without the catback system. Everyone has their own opinions but hard numbers...that's what I'm talking about. So whose got the cash and the time to do our experiment and give us some real answers?
I heard from one of my buddies that some mag did a before and after dyno run of a stock civic with removing the cat. He said it made not even 2 hp of a difference. hell that hp increase could have been from the air temp changing:haha:. granted this is a stock civic and is obviously different from a s10 or anything else. oh and i said "i would keep the cat. unless you have 500+ hp" because i pulled that number out of my ass.:D a reasonable number would be 300 or more then you may get a slight gain. unless someone can prove otherwise:dunno:

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
most of the cats on newer vehicles are already a better flowing style

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Dont run a cat...Never will. Sounds a whole hell of a lot better, and I know it flows better. Hell, there is nothing on my truck but 3" straight pipe from the Y back, and 3" straight through the muffler. And I know I make more than 300rwhp on the bottle :evilg:

Even if it only gave 2-3hp its worth it to me. Damn you tree hugging hippies :rolleyes:

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
1fast4by said:
Dont run a cat...Never will. Sounds a whole hell of a lot better, and I know it flows better. Hell, there is nothing on my truck but 3" straight pipe from the Y back, and 3" straight through the muffler. And I know I make more than 300rwhp on the bottle :evilg:

Even if it only gave 2-3hp its worth it to me. Damn you tree hugging hippies :rolleyes:
LOL I tend to agree completely, but unfortunately some of us (including me now in the State of Massachusetts) need to retain a cat in order to pass safety/emission inspection :rant: . I was able to pass without a cat currently in Mass, but I know I will not be able to find an exhaust shop to build me a manifold-back exhaust system without putting a cat on there.

·
Nitto1320 M O D
1,612 Posts
1fast4by said:

I like your style.. I ran 3" from my y-pipe back (NO CAT .. CATS ARE BULLSHIT) and into a flowmaster (i know flowmaster = trash but its what I had) and i ran a 14.8 with that exhaust and a little timing being my ONLY mod

1 - 20 of 31 Posts