S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
only pawn in game of life
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1989 S10 2.5 TBI 5 speed with 86,000 miles.
About a month ago when it started turning cold, my truck wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealer and diagnose it. They said it was the fuel pump. Dad and I changed out the pump but it still wouldn't start when it turned cold. We changed the ECM in the distributor. Same problem. Changed the ignition switch on the steering column. Same problem.

If you cycle the fuel pump 3 or 4 times the truck might start even if it is real cold outside. Or if you just pour a little fuel down the intake it will start right up.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem.
We are almost positive that it is fuel related. We are thinking now that it is the injector. Is there any test we can do to see if the injector is bad? Is there anything else that we need to check?

Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

~ Mongo

·
IMBLOWN
977 Posts
ROFL!!! It could just be a fuel filter....Have you ever changed it?!?!?!? I bet there is one sitting in a garage somewhere you could use...

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never changed it.
We bought a new one when we bought that pump, but managed to forget about putting it on. It is just sitting there in the garage!
Man I feel stupid.
Hope that is the fix!

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my brother/technician Jameskirk1 changed out the fuel filter and I'm still having the same problems.

It was like 30 this morning with a wind chill of 22. I had to "prime" the engine (crank it for a short period and wait for the fuel pump to quit) like 6 or 7 times before it started.

Does anyone have any ideas why it is doing this? It seems to be more cold related than anything.

~mongo

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out for lunch and my truck wouldn't start. I tried to "prime" it like 15 times and it still wouldn't start. So I just poured some gasoline directly down the intake and it sputtered to life.
After my truck warms up, you can kill it and it starts back like a new one.

This is really starting to piss me off....
I've had the truck since June and it never does this when it is warm outside.

·
IMBLOWN
977 Posts
I talked to a guy here at work today about your problem. He said that when his injector went bad in his dime, that it would start, and run for a few seconds, and then die...So, I don't know if your problem is injector related or not...Did you say it was spraying fuel when you were cranking it or not? 0_o

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's kinda hard to see the injector from the drivers seat. Maybe I can get someone to look in there and see. :phil:

Does anyone know what could cause my truck to not get enough fuel to start?
Does anyone know the sequence of events that happend when my truck is started? What sensors are activated, etc....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts