S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i've got a 92' 4.3 vtech that will not start before it wouldnt start it was running like crap bogging down and useing alot of gas but now it will not start so far we have changed the cap, button, module, tried a different dist., tried a different ecm, cleaned and regapped plugs, checked the spark on the coil and plugs and their all good, getting between 70-80 lbs. of fuel pressure, checked all fuses at the moment i am completely lost on what to do i've had a few different people check it out and they all have different ideas like pickup coil on dist is bad and possible fuseable link blew out? anybody have any ideas on what I should do?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
i'm gonna go with your cat? if it was using alot of gas..?

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
if it has white hot spark and good fuel then id go with cat plugged up too

hack it off and see if it starts then, so as long as the plugs aint soaked anyways,

ecm ive never come across a bad one on an s10 etc like this

ever

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
so you have fire at the coil, but nothing at the plugs? I would say bad cap.

If you dont have fire coming out of coil than i would say bad coil.

Is it possible that the egr is stuck open and you have to put the gas pedal 1/2 way down b4 it will start. My egr stuck open one time and i had to give it gas b4 it would start.

another suggestion, are your plugs wet. if not maybe you have a bad cpi unit. Make sure you have a constant 12V going to the cpi unit. if you get no fuel than you have a bad cpi unit. I just replaced one in a rock crawler. the truck would not crank good fire and fuel pressure. replaced cpi it fired right up. you could spray carb cleaner in TB and it would fire up b4 replacement

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have good spark on all plug wires and coil the egr shouldnt be a problem bc it has a plate on it, and as far as a cpi unit I never did check that spose that will be next and every time i spray carb cleaner it like to back fire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well put new plugs in and it still ran like shit pulled them cleaned them up again replaced the cpi (spider) unit and it still is running like shit anybody have any new ideas for me?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
so you have fire at the coil, but nothing at the plugs? I would say bad cap.

If you dont have fire coming out of coil than i would say bad coil.

Is it possible that the egr is stuck open and you have to put the gas pedal 1/2 way down b4 it will start. My egr stuck open one time and i had to give it gas b4 it would start.

another suggestion, are your plugs wet. if not maybe you have a bad cpi unit. Make sure you have a constant 12V going to the cpi unit. if you get no fuel than you have a bad cpi unit. I just replaced one in a rock crawler. the truck would not crank good fire and fuel pressure. replaced cpi it fired right up. you could spray carb cleaner in TB and it would fire up b4 replacement
Sorry for the thread jack, but I am currently having the same problem. How do I check if the cpi unit is getting the 12v? Which wire or? I am at the point where if I cant fire it up soon or I have to spend more cash, Im just gonna part out the truck...

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
coolant temp sensor? MAP sensor?

has anyone messed with the valve adjustment?

when its runing like crap is it running rich?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
thanks for the tip S15, I'll check that today! Whats weird with mine is that it ran fine, then blew an intake gasket, replaced, and no longer started. I thought it was just the timing since I forgot to mark the dist. and rotor, but after I set it, then my dad set it, then the mechanic next door set it, still no luck. The plugs are wet with fuel, so we cleaned the tips and tried again, and still no luck. If my dad has to spend one more dollar trying to fix this problem, then I might just part it out. hehe, anyone need 1st gen parts?...........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yeah mines running very rich...at the moment its running but still shitty its idleing up and down almost wanting to keep going and chirping the front tires when i come to a complete stop. Black smoke out the exaust almost as bad as a diesel, tried unpluggin the idle air control and that seemed to help a lil but not completely....i was told that it could possibly be a vacuum leak of some sort but itd have to be a big one was also told that i could have a bad gas cap makin all my problems cuz when we changed the spider the fuel in had so muich pressure it filled a half gallon milk jug up utill i removed the cap even the fuel out had pressure to it.

·
Compliance!
5,156 Posts
you just replaced your intake gasket, did everything get installed correctly? i just did my gasket, luckily no problems, but maybe a leak around the throttle body could cause it to be running rich? like said before possible the egr

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
you just replaced your intake gasket, did everything get installed correctly? i just did my gasket, luckily no problems, but maybe a leak around the throttle body could cause it to be running rich? like said before possible the egr
two diff. people. I replaced the gasket, his truck is running rich. Mine isnt running at all. gonna take another stab at the timing today, see if it acts the same. I think I may have been setting the piston at TDC, but at the end of the power stroke, not compression stroke. His sounds like a fuel problem if its smoking black.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i replaced my upper plenium gasket sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake and vacuum lines with no leaks my egr valve like said above shouldnt be a problem as it has a plate over it

·
Registered
382 Posts
biggietalls you said that you are getting 70 - 80 PSI of fuel pressure this could be an issue i thought cpi is supposed to be around 60

1 - 20 of 23 Posts