S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much will this run, even just parts, i hope it aint to expensive, How hard is it to do, any local guys know how, i need to get my truck looked at, i know these have problems with their head gaskets, cuz im just burningup my oil and antifreeze, and now on top of it all, its revving extremely high, like im at the top of 3nd gear and i need to shift into 3rd, i cant get it to kick down. shed some light on this, i hate driving it around like it is. :mad:

·
I'm in hot puuurrrsuit!!
227 Posts
I dont know about the cost but I know a co worker had one go with her neon and in 2 days bye bye engine, of course she didnt know **** about cars and never put water in it after it blew the head gaskit so it cooked itself to death. :uhoh:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it hasnt gone yet, and i keep filling it with antifreeze, as im trying not to fry the engine, one more reason to get a V8 :D

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
go to a GM dealer, I think there was a recall on the headgaskets cause they blow up around 80k. How many miles?

I'd just take it there and see if they'll warantee it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
At the dealer I work at, they charge $120 for parts (all GM) plus
$90 to send it out to a local machine shop and have it milled flat. plus 7 to 9 hours labor (depending on the year/model)at $65 per hour.
New head is somewhere around 5-600 bucks if yours is cracked. (complete unit comes with valves etc..)

I did 2 yesterday, one was a Cavalier and one was a Corsica, I have done tons of them before.
There is a Special policy on some models/ years, I think it was 96 S-truck, Cavalier and other division J-bodies w/2.2 engines
I agree with AnotherSS,
Check with your local dealer to see if they can warranty it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i actually solved the over revving problem, there was a tube that came lose under my throttle right on the engine dont know what it went to but as soon as i stuck it in it went right down, right now i might actually be selling my truck to get another, its at 80900 about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kidd Ridd said:
i actually solved the over revving problem, there was a tube that came lose under my throttle right on the engine dont know what it went to but as soon as i stuck it in it went right down, right now i might actually be selling my truck to get another, its at 80100K about.
That's the PCV hose, common on the older 2.2's

80,100,000 miles is a lot!!! :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kidd Ridd said:
whoops my bad.
Sorry couldn't resist.
It's not bad, it made me laugh!!!!
That's good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts