S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma 4.3 Vortec automatic ext. cab. I'm having issues with the truck. When the truck is cold it'll start to crank then wont, but after the second time it'll crank flawlessly. but when I park it after driving and go into the store for 15 minutes or something. It won't crank unless i sit there for about an hour or two. Also this morning when i was trying to crank, it wouldn't. Nothing would happen. All my electronics would work. (going to put my battery on a charger after work) I recently changed my fuel filter, distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs and wires. What could possibly be the issue? I've heard things from its my entire distributor, ignition control module, to spark plugs and wires, and fuel pump, or intake gasket or vacuum leak. I love the truck i just need to find out what it could be

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,687 Posts
Won't turn. over (crank), or won't start (fire)?

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,473 Posts
check the wiring at the starter for corrosion/loose and damage- it get hot down there

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check the wiring at the starter for corrosion/loose and damage- it get hot down there
Best way to access the starter? was looking at it after work and i could barely see where the wires are. Also couldnt see it from passenger wheel well

·
time to get cereal
5,097 Posts
Sounds like a loose battery cable to me. I would check those connections before trying to get at the starter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you take the wheel off?
Didn't have time to take the wheel off. I will today after work. I was checking out videos and the video shows this rubber material in the wheel well where they cut it out and it moved freely. Except mine seems to be a metal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a loose battery cable to me. I would check those connections before trying to get at the starter.
Checked battery terminals, and there is slight corrosion on the positive terminal. I know you can clean it with baking soda/water mixture. But how can I clean it? It's a side mounted battery where you screw the cables into the post as opposed to the posts being exposed. Are there wire brushes made to dig into this type of battery?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,687 Posts
There are brushes that will fit in the threads. If they're corroded that bad, you might have corrosion inside the insulation also...time for new cables.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are brushes that will fit in the threads. If they're corroded that bad, you might have corrosion inside the insulation also...time for new cables.
Yeah, corrosion seemed to have started on the screws. How difficult is it to change the cables?
Also Thanks for the help on both my threads man

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,687 Posts
Changing cables is very easy...30 minutes tops for both of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Changing cables is very easy...30 minutes tops for both of them.
Oh okay. I took the wheel off and the starter is inaccessible. Headers and other things are in the way. I know I can get to it from under it. Would I have to take the headers off?

·
Been there Done it
11,236 Posts
Headers? You didn't mention that.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,473 Posts
headers- no start- drop the starter and get it tested- bet its cooked- with headers you really need a heat sheild

·
It's mostly BS
2,905 Posts
... or maybe the purple wire to the solenoid is cooked and shorted to the header.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
headers- no start- drop the starter and get it tested- bet its cooked- with headers you really need a heat sheild
Any idea on where I can find a heat shield? It's not even 3 or so inches away from the headers so that's why I figured I needed one. Haven't had a chance to start working on it. Need a ratchet extension. And also if I were to make my own how could I bolt it/put it on

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No
Details...lol
Not super familiar with EVERYTHING. But there's headers, and some other components for steering and suspension are in the way (I do believe that's what it is.) And there's various bolts that block the patch to it as well. Which I assume is just things bolted to the frame

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,473 Posts
they make a nice wrap that goes around your headers holding the heat inside.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts