S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*CLIFFS*

Tach doesn't work in new cluster. I want to run a jumper straight from the tach signal wire at the coil to the white wire at the cluster harness to see if it is the wiring.

So I bought another cluster with a tach off of ebay. After the last one didn't work, the PRND321 shift indicator and the gas guage both wouldn't work. I tore it out and tossed it in the dumpster and put the old one back in. So I get this new one toss it in (I'm a pro at this now) and everything works except for the tach this time. My gutt instict is the wiring in the truck this time. Before installed this last one, I did try splicing a wire into the cluster harness to install an aftermarket tach. After that didn't work I went straight to the coil and that worked. And as far as I can tell the stepper motor for the tach works it will zero itself when the truck is started.

From what I have been told, and read in a many different threads, that white wire in the cluster harness should have given my aftermarket tach a signal. I'm wondering if either I f*cked something up when I tried splicing into that wire or if some bizarre coincidence the wire broke somewhere between the cluster and the ECU. To trouble shoot this I am thinking about running a wire straight from the tach signal wire at the coil to the white tach signal wire at the cluster harness. I would disconnect the white wire at the cluster harness to prevent voltage from going back to the ecu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
did you try running the independant wire? did that fix your problems? I am interested to know how you solved this problem, however i don't have any answers, sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts