S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--I had to rejoin the site because I am too stupid to remember what e-mail or user name I was using before.
For the last 10 years I have had to use more and more force turning the key far enough to engage the starter of this poor old farm use truck.
It didn't bother me so much because it kept most others from using it.
Now I am the only one with the strength to turn it hard enough to start it and it is starting to take every thing
I can give it to get the starter to engage.
--I have to fix it before my wife figures out how to use a pair of vise grips to turn it and break the key off or something.
Because of some vision problems that I am getting taken care of, I am having trouble navigating to a thread that deals with replacing the parts, what parts I should replace and how to remove the steering wheel etc.
--I am sure it has been discussed before.
If somebody would be so kind as to steer me towards a thread discussing this issue for this 1984 tough truck I would really appreciate it since I assume it involves pulling the steering wheel etc.
If not, just call me lazy and tell me to look the info up myself (I deserve it).
Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
20,900 Posts
The actual switch is on the lower part of the column. Remove the knee bolsters and take a look....can't miss it. You can turn the key and see the rod move. This may be a simple fix. Looses the screws that hold the switch in and slide it towards the top of the column. It won't move much...doesn't take much.

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the info. I will check it out. I assumed I would have to rip a bunch of stuff apart. I might luck out. Thanks again.

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU for your help and time.

Thank you both Rhotpursuit and JAD (thanks for the pictures) and anybody else involved.

It worked!!! But once again I did too much, too fast, didn't pay attention, and don't know what I did.

Reason I am going to spell this out is to see if you can figure out how you guys managed to get me to fix it because I never did see the rod mentioned and didn't do a few other things I thought I would have to.
So here is the run down as I remember it:
Started to get under the dash with some tools.
Moved the steering wheel to a higher position. I didn't even know you could adjust the steering wheel but I pulled the knob on the left side of the column, wiggled it and managed to move the wheel to a much higher position.

Took the four screws and one bolt off of the panel under the dashboard that covers part of the steering column and removed the panel which also has an air vent attached to it which contained a dead lizard.

I than used the socket wrench to try and pound the life out of this big frigging spider that magically appeared. It was one of those wolf jumping spider types that seem to have about 20 eyes.
Almost forgot, I also hit myself in the head with the wrench a couple of times.

I than used half a can of lube spray that is for the tractor that happened to be next to me to try and exterminate the spider also getting some of it in my eyes and hair. I am glad I didn't have a lighter or this could have turned out badly.

The only smart thing I did today was to have blocked the tires and put the truck into neutral because after getting my vision back, for some reason I turned the key lightly and the truck started. Had I left the truck in gear I probably wouldn't be writing this for a couple of more days.
It now continues to start with very little key turning effort which means my wife can now (after 10 years) drive the truck, load it, take it to the burn pile and unload it herself.

The attached pictures are there because I thought I would need to start taking pictures to use as a guide to put the thing together again.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your problem was the position of the tilt was binding the rod against something and when you moved the tilt it freed up the binding, you can try moving the wheel in every tilt position and see if it's hard to turn the key

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,900 Posts
Your problem was the position of the tilt was binding the rod against something and when you moved the tilt it freed up the binding, you can try moving the wheel in every tilt position and see if it's hard to turn the key

I find it hard to think it was the cause. My '85 Blazer started in any position...same with the SS & Blazer2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find it hard to think it was the cause. My '85 Blazer started in any position...same with the SS & Blazer2.
It's not supposed to be a problem, it should start in any position without any issues, but I had a Silverado once that had this same problem in the downward position it wouldn't hardly turn but I could tilt it up and it would turn easily but it turned out my tilt joint was bad wore out once I replaced it then the problem was fixed, however op could have some other issues I just think something was binding his rod because he didn't do anything but moved his tilt column and now it turns free

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your problem was the position of the tilt was binding the rod against something and when you moved the tilt it freed up the binding,
I bet you are correct in a way.
The key doesn't actually turn any easier now but it doesn't need to be turned as far (ie as far as it would go and than some).
Since I emptied half a can of spray lube chasing the spider I than used more of the spray on the tilt knob, wiper switch and anything else that hadn't been moved in years.
Also pounding on the exposed column with the socket wrench trying to get the spider may have moved something just enough to make it all better.
Main thing is it is working fine again since we use that truck for everything including pull starting the Ford 2N tractor with the cutter on it.

Thanks again guys.

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pics to show the stuff
JAD and Rhotpursuit

Because it is working good I am not going to mess with it anymore. I thank you guys again for the picture and help.
I was wondering if the red arrow that JAD has pointing to #80 is the part I should adjust/replace if it goes wonky on me again.

Crud, I am too stupid to be able to repost your picture and am not able to post the picture of the switch I think you are pointing at.
Instead I am posting a link to https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/lighting---electrical-16777/switches-16486/body-switches-25096/ignition-switch-11887/18fc40cb0eca/1984/chevrolet/s10?q=Ignition+Switch&fitAttr_10072=Yes

OK!!! Grrrrrr If I am never heard from again it is becuase I blew a head gasket (my brain) from trying to post/repost the dang thing again.
Still cant get the part number and picture to come up. I may wind up spraying this computer with lube stuff to get rid of any bugs it has in it.

·
the new guy
491 Posts
Talking about spiders... When driving to feed my brother in laws dogs (they are in Conan this weekend), my wife comments on the HUGE spider that was in the street.
I turn the car around to look and its a tarantula, a baby though. I jump out to grab him and my wife is screaming he is not riding in her car and I better not bring that spider back to the car.

So, I scoot him across the road and make sure he is not going to get run over but man, I sure wanted to take him home for the kids to see.

Tarantulas are very common here in south texas, as are wolf spiders that are four inches across.

Anyways, i attached a pic for you with my hand near him so you can see how small he is.

Attachments

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Small!! Its still bigger than I like.
Though now I am trying to imagine if I want baby Tarantulas crawling on me or the bigger ones.
We did have a tarantula living under our Travel Trailer where we were camped in Februray in the big river area.
It was cold enough that it was barely moving but it could somehow detect the heat from the campfire from 15 feet away.
When it got warmed up enough it became way too fast for me and was no longer fun to watch.

·
Old New Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I attached a pic for you with my hand near him so you can see how small
Small!! Its still bigger than I like.
Though now I am trying to imagine if I want baby Tarantulas crawling on me or the bigger ones.
We did have a tarantula living under our Travel Trailer where we were camped in Februray in the big river area.
It was cold enough that it was barely moving but it could somehow detect the heat from the campfire from 15 feet away.
When it got warmed up enough it became way too fast for me and was no longer fun to watch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
8 Participants
crice63
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing