S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rise Above
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to bag my blazer and im going to have my front done by spring. Then i need to decide what 4link to get. Would a triangulated 4link be the best way to go in my 96 2door blazer? and how much costumizing will i have to do (i know i have to cut my floor) but will it clear my gas tank?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Yea, it doesn't really matter what bars the bags go on, however, with that x-member, it has to be mounted pretty high up to allow for full compression of the bags at that point.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
oh my bad, i was thinking about the extra cutting that he would need to do. did not know it was that much different, but it guess that shows how much i know! you da man with the blazer you would know best!

but the person who needs help is so_lo_blazer. so lets help him.

·
2legit2quit
3,983 Posts
well it kinda is if he could use a design like that, right..He's looking for ideas. You can mount the bags on the lower bars as well, but you have to cut out part of the side of the frame to clear them. For blazer stuff, check out blazinlow.com, and see if anyone there canhelp out. I generally have better luck there when it comes to blazer specific stuff.

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
iLLblazer said:
This is what I'm hoping to do...don't know if its the same frame or not cuz this is a 1st gen...will this even work though?
Thanks to Cab for the pic.
welding to the pumpkin is risky business man

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
lol. I was waiting for someone to say that motomullet. I was just gettin ready to. If you know what you are doing and have good welding capabilites then you should be fine. But some ppl are against it

just my 2 cents

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
Its one thing if its done by someone that has been welding for 20+ years, but I do not think welding cast is something that should be done by the average welder

thats in my opinion though

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
not yet, my bro has the digi. he'll be home this weekend so I should be able to get some then. I do have my own thread too, no need to whore this one :troutslap

·
Black & Red
188 Posts
Yeah, the gas tank in my '96 Jimmy is behind the axle. And I'm also thinking about using a similar link set up on mine.
But I'm wondering... being on different angles, the axle mounts for tri links travel on a different radius from the axle mounts for bottom (straight back) links. How much of an effect does this have on the rearend as far as binding or counteracting forces?
:dunno:

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
Wagn said:
Yeah, the gas tank in my '96 Jimmy is behind the axle. And I'm also thinking about using a similar link set up on mine.
But I'm wondering... being on different angles, the axle mounts for tri links travel on a different radius from the axle mounts for bottom (straight back) links. How much of an effect does this have on the rearend as far as binding or counteracting forces?
:dunno:
None really...the link bars are still moving in the same basic direction, you just changed where the pressure is coming from, so you really shouldn't have any issues with binding..

Now back to the original question...talk a bout a hijacked thread..lol...

Im starting to bag my blazer and im going to have my front done by spring. Then i need to decide what 4link to get. Would a triangulated 4link be the best way to go in my 96 2door blazer? and how much costumizing will i have to do (i know i have to cut my floor) but will it clear my gas tank?
You'll clear the gas tank no problem. It all depends on where you mount the bags. If you try to stuff a big ass double convelouted bag back behind the axle, you'll probably have issues. I've got the F9000's in back, where the stock shock location was, and all I had to do was clearance the frame a bit. If you run bags above or infront of the axle, you wont have any issues at all. The biggest problem you're gonna have is the gas tank crossmember and body mount that sit right where you need to run the step notch. The body mount you can live without, but you'll need to either work around the x-member or build a new one.

As for which 4-link is gonna be best, I've talked to a couple 2nd gen guys, and Larry's kit will work out. If you're gonna hack up the floor for a big notch anyway, just pick up his straight Blazer 4-link...all the bars are already the right length...all you need to do is weld it up...then figgure out bag mounts and the notch..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts